IZH 46M problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ken O

IZH 46M problem

Post by Ken O »

I was shooting this today, and suddenly it won't cock all the way to take in the air. Seems the bolt hits something inside when trying to lift it to load, and restricts the cocking lever from traveling. It goes back far enough to barely see the rubber on the piston.

Any help would be appreciated.
ricardopresto

Re: IZH 46M problem

Post by ricardopresto »

Sounds like it's something to do with that strip of metal that links the breech to the cylinder. Maybe try taking it out?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Depending on who has been shooting it, and how meticulous they were, a lot of the jammed IZH's I've dealt with are the result of a pellet falling into the works, and then getting mashed into the guts of the action.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

How good are you with disassembling and reassembling equipment? I disassembled IZH-46M last year to change all the seals. It's about 5 on the difficulty scale of 10. There are excellent instructions somewhere, I will try to find them.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

I used these instructions:

http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/izh46ex.htm

The problem is most likely in the "back end", that's where I would start.
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

Thanks. I took off the grips, not a whole lot to see, but I poked around under the bolt with a tiny screw driver, and punch. Something moved, and it released the bolt, and allowed it to cock. It works fine now.

I have no idea what moved, I sure wish I knew in case it happens again. Something must have got out of place somehow.
Ken
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It's been a while since I've studied one closely, but "ricardopresto" may have been on the right track. I think if the front end of the flat bar that connects the lever assembly to the breech block slides sideways into the slot, it would lock things up. This might happen if you tilt the pistol up & to the right while cocking. I think I've seen this once or twice in the past, but it was a long time ago & I can't be sure.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Ken O wrote:Thanks. I took off the grips, not a whole lot to see, but I poked around under the bolt with a tiny screw driver, and punch. Something moved, and it released the bolt, and allowed it to cock. It works fine now.

I have no idea what moved, I sure wish I knew in case it happens again. Something must have got out of place somehow.
Ken
While you have the grips off, lift the loading lever only (as for dry firing) and at the same time visualize how the mechanism works. Some parts of the Izzy are kinda roughly machined, I would suggest to sparingly lubricate every nook and cranny of friction areas.
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

Gwhite wrote:It's been a while since I've studied one closely, but "ricardopresto" may have been on the right track. I think if the front end of the flat bar that connects the lever assembly to the breech block slides sideways into the slot, it would lock things up. This might happen if you tilt the pistol up & to the right while cocking. I think I've seen this once or twice in the past, but it was a long time ago & I can't be sure.
That sounds like what happened. I just hope it doesn't do it again, especially at a match.

I see these pistols are pretty pricy now days.
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

kevinweiho wrote:
Ken O wrote:Thanks. I took off the grips, not a whole lot to see, but I poked around under the bolt with a tiny screw driver, and punch. Something moved, and it released the bolt, and allowed it to cock. It works fine now.

Ken
While you have the grips off, lift the loading lever only (as for dry firing) and at the same time visualize how the mechanism works. Some parts of the Izzy are kinda roughly machined, I would suggest to sparingly lubricate every nook and cranny of friction areas.
I did just that when I had it apart. It was real dry, hopefully it wont happen again.
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

Ken O wrote:I see these pistols are pretty pricy now days.
They're really cheap over here at the moment (£280) due to the halving of the value of the Rouble over the last few years. They used to cost around £480.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
PhatMan

Post by PhatMan »

Hello to All,

+1 - I bought my MP-46M about three (3) months ago for 270 GBP - bit of a bargain (particularly for the UK !!! :))

Have fun :)

Best regards

Russ
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

Could this have been the problem?

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=42480
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Wynne G Oldman wrote:Could this have been the problem?

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=42480
That's a different issue. If the trigger sear is stuck too far down, you can pump & cock it, but it won't fire.