OK to shoot an event more than once in a match?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
EdStevens

OK to shoot an event more than once in a match?

Post by EdStevens »

I help to set up and put on a local match over a weekend. To accommodate competitors' travel time and other needs, some events are run at different times on each day (standard pistol, sport pistol, centre fire). Normally a competitor will pick one instance of an event, but I have had a competitor pay twice and shoot twice for, say, sport pistol. It's very unusual but it has happened. I've then used the higher of their two scores in the results and ignored the other. I figure they paid the fee for the event twice so what the heck, but I am curious if there's any kind of ISSF rule covering this?

I expect not, but...
David Levene

Re: OK to shoot an event more than once in a match?

Post by David Levene »

As you expected Ed, no such ISSF ruling as it would never happen at a major international match.

What we tend to do in the UK, if we are running several relays and the competitor wants to pay twice to shoot twice, is take their first score as their match score and subsequent ones as practice matches.

The exception would be where a match was advertised as "re-entry" (but they are few and far between for ISSF style events). It would then be accepted that your best score counted.

Anything else seems unfair to the other competitors.
renzo

Post by renzo »

David Levene wrote:As you expected Ed, no such ISSF ruling as it would never happen at a major international match.

What we tend to do in the UK, if we are running several relays and the competitor wants to pay twice to shoot twice, is take their first score as their match score and subsequent ones as practice matches.

The exception would be where a match was advertised as "re-entry" (but they are few and far between for ISSF style events). It would then be accepted that your best score counted.

Anything else seems unfair to the other competitors.
Exactly, those kind of matches are usually held at club level to increase revenue, but are never (at least in my country) considered "serious".
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

Thanks, gentlemen. That makes sense to me. In future I will use a "only first score counts" rule.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

We have to distinguish:
Re-entries and repeats are VERY common and actually the RULE in many disciplines here, and then again not in others.
- They are actually the - expected ! - rule in prize shoots and small matches in such disciplines as military rifle, muzzle-loadcer, schuetzen rifle.
- They are never held in formal ISSF style competitions, nor in any other federation championships that I would know of.

Alexander