What do you do between shots?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
NanoZ.

What do you do between shots?

Post by NanoZ. »

Between down the gun and up for the next shot.

In what do you think?

I do everithing fast, check the target, load a new pellet, 3 seconds to focus on perect 10, and aim again.

I want to take more time but I can't.
rmca

Re: What do you do between shots?

Post by rmca »

Why do you think you need to take more time?
That is the real question...

How are your anxiety levels during a match?
dronning

Post by dronning »

I follow my shot process, my rhythm is steady I would not say quick. If I find concentration waning I'll sit down take a couple of minutes then back at it.

I'd say most my 60 shot matches are under 20 minutes, 30 minutes with sighters.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

First, I call my shots. In both languages I know. If I am out of idioms, I add some body language to it. Then I look through my scope and transition to cursing (in all three languages at the same time) the day I decided to pick up shooting instead of go-kart racing. Then I think about racing a bit, wondering whether I like the smell of the two-stroke engines that much. Then I recall that you get to see more pretty girls at races than at shooting ranges. Then I think about sex. A little bit. Then a bit harder. Which brings me to the subject of the last fight with my wife. Then I think shooting is not a bad distraction from that fight after all. Finally, I load my gun and tell myself, "let's not screw up this time." It is a very simple shot process overall.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Struggle fiercely to cock your SSP, as many here seem to have to do. After you've gasped your breath back, load a pellet. If you're not too shattered from that experience; shoot.

Of course, if you have a PCP you immediately go into "The Zone" and deliver a perfectly executed 10.9 (If you've bought the most expensive pellets you can find.).

Actually, you have PLENTY of time to relax, breathe, reload, then go into your shooting song and dance. I actually take a break, sit down, drink some water after every 20-30 shots.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I find that I have to force myself to take three slow breaths between shots. My natural inclination is to shoot faster, but experience has shown that to be a mistake. The 3 breaths helps pace things nicely so my arm doesn't wear out, it gives me time reflect on the last shot & which aspects of my shot process may need extra attention, and it helps oxygenate my blood. As I get older & my cardiovascular system gets less efficient, I find that becomes increasingly important both for my muscles and my vision.
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

the best way for me to focus on the next shot, its to spend 20 to 30 seconds before unfocused... I doint belive anyone can stay focus for 90 minutes or so...
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Every so often I like to give my eyes a break and look at something in the distance.
And after reloading relax a bit, close my eyes and visualize then maybe move my legs some to get some blood flow going before I repeat my process.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

I have my shot plan on my pistol box.

During slow fire, I go through my shot plan item by item.

It has been very effective for me.

Sincerely,
crankster
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

pgmlml wrote:the best way for me to focus on the next shot, its to spend 20 to 30 seconds before unfocused... I doint belive anyone can stay focus for 90 minutes or so...
^^

"It's not a race; it's a marathon."
David M

Post by David M »

It's not even a marathon, it's a long leisurely relaxing walk in the park.
There is no rush, just pace yourself to finish using your match plan
and within the allowed time.
What do you do between shots......rest, relax, recover, hydrate,
then repeat the process.
97nick

Post by 97nick »

shaky hands wrote:First, I call my shots. In both languages I know. If I am out of idioms, I add some body language to it. Then I look through my scope and transition to cursing (in all three languages at the same time) the day I decided to pick up shooting instead of go-kart racing. Then I think about racing a bit, wondering whether I like the smell of the two-stroke engines that much. Then I recall that you get to see more pretty girls at races than at shooting ranges. Then I think about sex. A little bit. Then a bit harder. Which brings me to the subject of the last fight with my wife. Then I think shooting is not a bad distraction from that fight after all. Finally, I load my gun and tell myself, "let's not screw up this time." It is a very simple shot process overall.

LOL!
97nick

Post by 97nick »

actually, I find anything that is exaggerated is bad: lifting to high, breathing to deep or shallow, holding to short or long on the follow through etc.

I would say 30 mins for a 60 shot match is to quick and you should slow down?

preparing for a shot quickly can help though on a shoot off when you don't have much time. something goes wrong and you have to come down and start again... so maybe a quick prepare for the next shot is good but not to quick I would say
Rover

Post by Rover »

pgmlml wrote:the best way for me to focus on the next shot, its to spend 20 to 30 seconds before unfocused... I don't believe anyone can stay focused for 90 minutes or so...
Right! One only has to stay "focused" for about 6-8 seconds. You can spend the rest of the time indulging in sexual fantasies.
ELPRESADOR

Post by ELPRESADOR »

Rover wrote:
pgmlml wrote:the best way for me to focus on the next shot, its to spend 20 to 30 seconds before unfocused... I don't believe anyone can stay focused for 90 minutes or so...
Right! One only has to stay "focused" for about 6-8 seconds. You can spend the rest of the time indulging in sexual fantasies.
It's even harder to concentrate when all the blood is removed from your head though.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I try to stop remembering songs..... darn music in my head ...