50 metre... where do you go?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jerber

50 metre... where do you go?

Post by jerber »

I am just curious has to how do you go about training for the 50 metre free pistol?
I don't know if I want to get into it but would like to know more about it
But I don't think there is a shooting range(indoor)around where I live
Is it mostly outdoor?
If I do find a place can I try it with my Benelli mp90? At least just to try it?
I would like to know more about free pistol
What can you tell me about it?
Places?pistol?
I know that the targets are the same as the 25 metre
Jerry
Gwhite

Re: 50 metre... where do you go?

Post by Gwhite »

It would help if you told us what country you are in.

I don't know of any 50 meter indoor ranges. There are reduced targets to shoot indoors at shorter ranges, but it's not the same.

You can certainly shoot your MP90, but you will have to load one round at a time. That can be done either with the magazine, or in the case of the MP90, you can probably just pop them into the chamber.

Don't let anyone tell you that you need to dash out & buy a real free pistol. You can certainly get started without one. When I was on a US collegiate team in the 70's, they switched to International style shooting. We didn't have enough free pistols to go around, so I shot a High Standard for a couple years. My scores weren't great, but I learned a lot & was much better for it when I finally got a proper free pistol.

I shot in one match where the top shooter in the area had a malfunction in his Hammerli electronic triggered free pistol. He put it away, finished the match with a S&W Model 41, and still took 1st place.
jerber

Post by jerber »

Gwhite wrote:It would help if you told us what country you are in.
Norfolk VA. USA
I know . One of the biggest area of military
You would think that I should be able to find a long shooting range but I'm not military so I have to settle for public range
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Any club that holds normal outdoor 2700 bullseye pistol matches should have a 50 yard range for the slow fire events. Just get B19 targets & centers (reduced for shooting at 50 yards).
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

Check with Norfolk County Rifle Range and Lafayette Gun Club. The both run Bullseye matches and or leagues. It's not the same but if you can shoot 50 yard slow fire with your iron sighted MP90 you are that much closer to the skills to shoot 50m.

The only Free Pistol Matches that I know about in VA are at Fairfax Rod and Gun Club in their winter league. There used to be free pistol, standard pistol and rapid fire matches at Cavalier but they stopped a couple of years ago. I think that 12th Precinct in MD runs some matches.

Good luck.

Seriously though, try a Bullseye match at the full distance with the MP90.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Gwhite wrote: I shot in one match where the top shooter in the area had a malfunction in his Hammerli electronic triggered free pistol. He put it away, finished the match with a S&W Model 41, and still took 1st place.
I did that a few years ago in the NRA Sectionals. I think I got 3 or 4 rounds out of my Toz before it went Tango Uniform, so I switched to my GSP and finished with a 530.
Last edited by john bickar on Tue May 26, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Easy way to shoot (Train) Free Pistol on a 25m/yd range is to take a standard
ISSF precision target and cut out the black on the 8 ring.
Use another target facing you with the cut target backward over the top (gives
a reduced black size).
Now shoot on the reduced size, a X is a 10, a 10 is a 9 and a 9 is a 8,etc.
Anything outside of black is not good.
The reduced size of the black will look similar to a target at 50m.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

I go to my club!

Image Image
jerber

Post by jerber »

I have been to the Norfolk county shooting club
But their indoor range is only up to 25 metre
As for Lafayette they have an outdoor range that has the distance but I need to call and check
Thanks
spektr

Post by spektr »

Plantation Rifle Range, Bellingham Wa. 50 yards outside on B19's ...
joel

Post by joel »

Our local range has 25, 50 and 100 yard indoor ranges with target carriers. I shoot 55 yards for 50m pistol. Everything is all digital, shiny, and new.

Joel
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

There are 50 foot and 25y reduced targets, I believe. Get some and get started. There is nothing to be gained from entropy.
Rover

Post by Rover »

And how does this info help a guy in Virginia? (Except for the targets.)
Andre

Post by Andre »

FWIW, out my garage into some railroad ties 50m away.
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

jerber wrote:I am just curious has to how do you go about training for the 50 metre free pistol?
I don't know if I want to get into it but would like to know more about it
But I don't think there is a shooting range(indoor)around where I live
Is it mostly outdoor?
If I do find a place can I try it with my Benelli mp90? At least just to try it?
I would like to know more about free pistol
What can you tell me about it?
Places?pistol?
I know that the targets are the same as the 25 metre
Jerry
As of about 4 years ago there were USAS sanctioned matches at NCRR in Chesapeake. That is pretty close to you. USA shooting's web site is just as useless as it has been, so no further information , like the match bulletin that would have contact information. A little research on your part should find the range's web site. They may still be running matches, just not sanctioning them any more. Even if they are not running regular matches any more, they will still have the facilities that they ran them on. Not having matches to shoot in your area is a hindrance to your development as a free pistol shooter. Free pistol, in the end, is a contest between you brain and your body. IMHO - A match adds outside pressure to make you really focus (or not) on your shot plan, but it still comes down to you being the best you can.

I digress - Your standard pistol will do just fine for free pistol, as long as you just use the iron sights. You can shoot some pretty decent scores with one, as John illustrates. Switching to a event specific free pistol will take some getting used to. The longer sight radius makes the sights do a lot more moveing, and that baby's breath trigger pull takes a different technique. Just a warning for when you get a free pistol. Don't put your finger in the trigger guard until you are on target. WCW range has a number of holes in the bench from people with bad habits.

You will find most US ranges to be setup based on yards and feet. Shooting 50 yards is not all that different than 50 meters, as long as you use the correct target. Shooting at 25 yards with the appropriate target is an alternative. Ranges that don't shoot NRA 2700 matches sometimes don't have a 50 yard target positions, and some require you to demonstrate to the range master that you can actually hit a target at 50 yards. While 50 foot free pistol targets are available, it is a pain to score them. An outdoor range is a plus. Free pistol is meant to be shot outdoors. I have shot matches with snow on the ground and portable heaters on the firing line. Free pistol is the only international pistol event that allows a glove on the shooting hand. It's so the Northerners don't get frost bite.

Try it. I think you'll like it.

Larry