Front sight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bullseyeman

Re: Front sight

Post by bullseyeman »

Don't forget to seperate the two- you can have a perfect sight alignment and should. It's your sight picture where you see a perfectly aligned front post on a blurrly target while it wobbles around that grey blob. Just accept it, have a great trigger pull and call it like you see it.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

bullseyeman wrote:Don't forget to seperate the two- you can have a perfect sight alignment and should. It's your sight picture where you see a perfectly aligned front post on a blurrly target while it wobbles around that grey blob. Just accept it, have a great trigger pull and call it like you see it.
QFT.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

funtoz wrote:Marks on the front sight during a match are a crutch and should not be necessary.
Agreed.
funtoz wrote:You should not be able to tell if a shot is a 10 or a 7 or 8 when the gun goes off.
Wrong.
funtoz wrote:Red dot sights project a dot at infinity, so all you have to do is align it with the bull. Sight alignment devolves into sight picture and you should be able to call those shots. Scores are always higher with them than with open sights.
No. They aren't.
funtoz wrote: I once had a chance to talk to Darius Young (Olympian, 2 time camp Perry winner) about how much value his pistol scope had over iron sights. He said that he got 4 or 5 more points per match.
IIRC, Doc shot a 2x crosshair scope. Most of us (myself included) cannot hold well enough to tolerate that much movement, although I'm starting to toy with the idea for completely different reasons.

funtoz: not picking on you; I'm 25% in agreement with your post, 50% is debatable (and particular to individual shooters, which is the point of this discussion), and 25% is, err..., off.