AP Rear Sight Position

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Curlyjim

AP Rear Sight Position

Post by Curlyjim »

The Walther LP400 manual states that the rear sight should be positioned directly over the wrist. I looked at the Steyr LP10 and the FWB P44 manuals and couldn't find any mention of a recommended position. Since the LP400 rear sight can be adjusted considerably forward and aft of this position, I'm thinking that there must be some rationale to it. But I can't think of any particular advantage. It doesn't seem to minimize rear sight movement. Anyone have an explanation? Maybe someone from Walther will chime in. Thanks.

Curlyjim
therider

Re: AP Rear Sight Position

Post by therider »

Does it mean maximise the sight length?
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

Yes, you can maximise the sight length by positioning the rear sight back (and also the front sight some millimeters, there are three positions). The reason for that advise is simple: when the rear sight is behind your wrist, any movement within you holding wrist works in both ways: the front sight will maybe move to the left, the rear sight (= behind the angle point) to the right. To minimise sighting errors we recommend (and most coaches do the same...) to set the rear sight "onto the joint" and not behind, even if you can.

It's the same with the Steyr air pistols by the way: here you can also readjust the position of the rear sight, they were the first to introduce these rear sights, as far as I remember.

The longer sighting line has a few advantages for experienced shooters with a good ability for a steady hold. You see any trembling and movements better than with a shorter distance. Some shooters love that, but most are somehow irritated because of this fluttering sight picture.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, there's a bit of info I didn't know. I'm rushing to check my rear sight placement!
j-team

Post by j-team »

Rover wrote:Well, there's a bit of info I didn't know. I'm rushing to check my rear sight placement!
Are there any SSPs with moveable rearsights? I can't think of any...
Curlyjim

Post by Curlyjim »

Ulrich,
Ausgezeichnet! Very useful information. Thank you for the reply.

Curlyjim