Has anyone converted a Morini CM162 long to a short?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CraigB5940

Has anyone converted a Morini CM162 long to a short?

Post by CraigB5940 »

I purchased a used Morini CM162 E1 long for a reasonable price two months ago.
One reason for the good price is that the cylinders July 2005 dated, so I am nearing the 10 year ISSF match limit and I was toying with the idea of trying to experiment with buying a short cylinder and short barrel to see if I gain better neutral balance since I am a beginning AP shooter.

I got this idea because I noticed that Pilkguns wants buyers to score 550 or higher or have a letter from a coach stating that they would benefit from buying the long models of the Steyer or Morini pistols they sell.
If I don’t experience any point gain, I could always sell the cylinder and possibly the short barrel.

Has anyone done this by buying a short cylinder and new short barrel and changing out the barrel?

If a short barrel is hard to source, I was thinking that I could buy a Lothar choked .177 blank and fit it if it comes down to that, I have my own lathe and mill and I have done barrel & chambering work on my conventional rifles and handguns.
I would never attempt to shorten the factory barrel from the breech, I’d want it as the option to go back to.

I got my AP start 1.5 years ago, I started with a Bikal 46M, it was somewhat muzzle heavy for me to learn the basics, but it got me interested and now I am trying to practice often and try a few matches later this year.

Since I have not been at a match yet, I have not run into anyone with a short yet so I can try one out.
In the two months I have shot my Morini , my scores now range from about 525 to 540 for a course of 60 shots, I am hoping to get more stable at the 540 mark by the end of the summer.
I am a 54 year old male of average weight, 6 ft tall, in average shape.
Craig B
Silvershooter

Re: Has anyone converted a Morini CM162 long to a short?

Post by Silvershooter »

Hi
Yes I did this recently, ie bought a short barrel and 2 short cylinders for my standard length.
The standard Morini short has a rear sight extension, giving the same sight radius as the long version ie 350 mm
Adding a short barrel to the standard version gives a sight radius of 310 mm and a saving of about 65 grms weight (with the short cylinder) The short barrel is 20 grms lighter.

The shorter sight radius gives the appearance of stability and the lighter weight allows for greater stability. So far for me it has not translated to better scores though.

There is a facebook page called "Morini Shooters" where I advertised for a short barrel and Giuseppe from Morini contacted me and then supplied.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I went halfway (with a 162EI).

I use the short cylinders but, instead of fitting a short barrel, I just cut off most of the "compensator" (which I don't believe changes the accuracy).

I've landed up with a lighter pistol more suitable for someone (like me) who now considers more than 20 shots per week to be "heavy training" ;-)
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

I just cut off most of the "compensator" (which I don't believe changes the accuracy).

David

Have you moved the foresight back then ?

Another David
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Silvershooter wrote:
I just cut off most of the "compensator" (which I don't believe changes the accuracy).
Have you moved the foresight back then ?
Yes, I just moved the front sight to the rearmost hole and cut the compensator off just in front of that.

A extra advantage is that it's now really easy to put a safety flag in from either end.
tufty

Post by tufty »

I would be tempted to start by trying a short cylinder with your long barrel,I know a couple of people who shoot with that set up with great success.

Can't really understand Pilkguns thinking .....if they refused to sell me a pistol because I couldn't shoot 550 with it I would tell them where to stick their pistol!
CraigB5940

Post by CraigB5940 »

Thanks all

I'm going to try a short cylinder first, that is if I can find one on the market!
Craig B