On sights design, inspired by SamEEE

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
therider

On sights design, inspired by SamEEE

Post by therider »

SamEEE wrote:
A Morini with a Steyr rear sight could be a fun project.
Interestingly, I was considering starting a post on this topic.

Few days ago in my club i took back in my hand a LP10 and had a few shots. I was immediately astonished by the fact that I had a much sharper view of the sights as compared to other pistols and this prompted a bit of thinking.

Steyr LP10 rear sight is simply a black blade, tilted downwards. So very sharp edges and no possibility of reflecting light.
Pardini adopts the same idea. Also FWB, although not as good as the previous two in my opinion, as there is a kind of double blade.

Morini 162 and Matchguns MGH1 (actually all Matchguns, as they use the same sights on all pistols) have a step in the rear sight and bending 90degrees from vertical to horizontal creates an edge which can reflect light. In the Morini it is a sharp bend, in the Matchguns is a rounded one, however the result is the same.

Obviously LP10 pays the effective simplicity with less possibility of adjustment as compared to Matchguns (adjustment of the hight of the visible front sight is limited and is manual, rather being 'click' controlled) .

So this should be one of the very few, possibly the only improvement I would wish to see in the Matchguns and in the Morini.
mctrucky

Re: On sights design, inspired by SamEEE

Post by mctrucky »

Agree totally. I have often wondered how to get a deeper rear notch on the Morini, it would be great to find a 'bolt in' replacement.
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

on the other day, I picked up a LP10 and the first thing I thought was the rear blade had screws are was not flat like my Walther LP400, lol...
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

pick a number!
Attachments
sights.jpg
therider

Post by therider »

true, but as you can see from the pic you posted the blade of LP400 (n.5) is not as inclined as LP10.

So I would still rate LP10 rear sight n.1, followed by Parini: have a look at the sharp edge, the blade going deep inside the grip wood ( so no light at all).
Attachments
pardiniRearSight1.jpg
Pardini-K12-lato-sinistro.jpg
Pardini-K12-lato-sinistro.jpg (28.98 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
pardiniRearSight.jpg
pardiniRearSight.jpg (28.82 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
therider

Post by therider »

and you have light under the blade!
Attachments
WaltherLP400.jpg
therider

Post by therider »

which you don't have with LP10
Attachments
lp10.jpg
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

what I meant was, I felt the LP10 sight were strange... just because I'm used to the LP400!

I do think these guns should came with diferent blades instead of the "stupid" adjustments... that way I wouldn't spend so much time adjusting and a flat blade would allways feel better to me! ;)

I had a benelli, and i dont like to see the wood after the rear blade, like morini or pardini ...
therider

Post by therider »

Actually the picture you posted from Visier is out of date. The current LP10 blade does not have those screws and is much better.

I don't agree with you. In my very little experience I found very important to adjust the rear sight depending on the light of the range where you are competing.
therider

Post by therider »

The new lp10 blade
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (19.96 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
therider

Post by therider »

And from the side
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
therider

Post by therider »

Actually I am wrong... That is from lp2.

May be you are right... Simpler and cheaper blades look nicer !! :-)
I apologise
Rover

Post by Rover »

Who the hell cares what they look like!

I just know I've filed, bent, and tweaked the hell out of all of mine so that I'm happy with their performance.
therider

Post by therider »

Rover wrote:Who the hell cares what they look like!

I just know I've filed, bent, and tweaked the hell out of all of mine so that I'm happy with their performance.
Well..you try that and it will be funny! Matchguns (and I suspect Morini too) use quenched steel for rear sights
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

The simplicity of the rear sight of my Gamo Compact beats the pants off of many more expensive match pistols. Sometimes the KISS principle is the best.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I have had an LP400 about four years (great gun, all sorted) and just bought a new LP10. I was surprised at the sight picture - the rear sight appeared sharper/clearer.
With rear sight on each gun positioned fully forward and using trigger blade for reference point the rear sight on the LP10 is about 15mm further away from the eye. The LP10 rear sight assembly is also not as wide as the LP400 (about 3-4mm). Taken together these add up to a crisper sight picture on the LP10 for me.
therider

Post by therider »

That's what I meant with this thread! Same for me
hundert

Post by hundert »

Morini rear sight is farthest from the eye, and is sharper than on LP10, I looked through one a week ago and it's much sharper than Steyr. Whether its better or not idk, but I liked the sharpness. I didn't notice any light being reflected, but it was just in one lighting condition. I actually now hate it how deep Steyr's rear sight is
Attachments
stmor.jpg