How to get into "high shoulder" position?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mudhenk27

How to get into "high shoulder" position?

Post by mudhenk27 »

I've been using a low-shoulder stance, which feels quite natural. As I lift my gun arm, the shoulder stays in place as the arm rotates upward from the shoulder joint. I'm interested in trying the high-shoulder position to see if it is more stable for me in rapid fire. I'm not sure, though how to get into the proper position.

It seems that I have to bring my arm up to shooting position while rolling my shoulder forward to push it up into the higher position. That results in having to use shoulder and back muscles to hold the position.

Am I going about this correctly? Are there issues with the position deteriorating because of muscle fatigue during competition?

Any help would be much appreciated.....Bill
mctrucky

Re: How to get into "high shoulder" position?

Post by mctrucky »

If low shoulder feels natural, stick with it for precision. High shoulder requires a good muscle tone to keep it consistent all through a match. Low shoulder is more naturally stable.

For rapid fire, having a high shoulder can help with getting the gun on aim quickly and consistently - and muscle tone is less important as you are only shooting for about 70 seconds over two days.... as opposed to over an hour solid on precision.

Normally what feels right is right for you.

Just my tuppence worth,
McT
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

I'm not a big fan of the high shoulder position, but I like the mid shoulder position. It feels like: lift the arm, pull it back while your leaning the body back, and then let it rest naturaly in place! In the begining it feel strange, but than starts to feel natural. This only works if your feet and body are at 90º to the target and your scapulas pushed back and naturaly fixed down.
mudhenk27

Post by mudhenk27 »

Thanks for the help. The description of getting into the mid position was excellent.