How do the FWB 800 Universal and Anschutz 8002 S2 compare?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

HotDiggity

How do the FWB 800 Universal and Anschutz 8002 S2 compare?

Post by HotDiggity »

Prices are about the same. Specs, likewise, appear to be very similar. I'm a casual, local competitor and recreational shooter. Which rifle has an edge and why? Number of good shots per fill, sight quality, etc. are interesting things I'd like to know.
jhmartin

Re: How do the FWB 800 Universal and Anschutz 8002 S2 compar

Post by jhmartin »

HotDiggity wrote:I'm a casual, local competitor and recreational shooter.
With either you could easily shoot lots of sighters and still complete 2 matches.
Depends on the sights with the Anschutz, but for a casual user probably not a huge issue at all.

Relative scoring:
FWB 800 = 6
Anschutz 8002S2 = 1/2 dz
HotDiggity

Post by HotDiggity »

Thanks, jhmartin. After picking the brain of someone at Pyramid who has handled both, I opted for the Anschutz. I don't think I'd be disappointed either way, as you indicated. Now, it's a waiting game.
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Too little too late that was a quick decision! I was just going to offer up there is are a few distinct differences with the 8002 S2 aluminum stock and the 800 universal wood laminate when it relates to adjust ability. Perhaps the 800 evolution or 700 alu would be more of a side by side comparison. The 8002 S2 is a great gun and we have several shooters that use them with great success. Enjoy the purchase, train hard and shoot straight!
HotDiggity

Post by HotDiggity »

COBelties, thanks for that reply. I should have noted that I was comparing the 8002 S2 in the black, soft-grip wood stock and the FWB 800 Universal in wood. To compare wood to aluminum would not be fair. The aluminum-stocked models are certainly nice, but I think I'd prefer the wood variety (even if it loses the battle in adjustability) for the time being. Everyone may expect too much out of me with the aluminum models :).

And you're right; it was a quick decision—but I had narrowed down the field. I was leaning toward the Annie anyway; I just needed the push. It didn't help that there was only one in stock and I didn't relish waiting 12 or so weeks for a special order. I do wish Pyramyd would have had it in stock as I've had great dealings with them in the past.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

We have 2 wood stocked 8002S2s in our program ... you won't be disappointed.
HotDiggity

Post by HotDiggity »

jhmartin, I'm sure that's true. Now all I need is an explanation to my wife for this purchase. The biathlon rifle a few years ago was easy: "Consider it fitness equipment; it's going to keep me in shape!" This one, not so much :)
triggerhappy

Post by triggerhappy »

HotDiggity wrote:jhmartin, I'm sure that's true. Now all I need is an explanation to my wife for this purchase. The biathlon rifle a few years ago was easy: "Consider it fitness equipment; it's going to keep me in shape!" This one, not so much :)
i'd stick with this story but let her know how much you're saving shooting pellets vs. training with .22 ammo.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

jhmartin wrote:
HotDiggity wrote:...
Relative scoring:
FWB 800 = 6
Anschutz 8002S2 = 1/2 dz

i like that...

just and fyi, the 8002 S2 is the same action regardless of whether its in the aluminum or wood stock. my daughter shoots the hardwood (beech?) very well but as she gets more "mature" to be polite, she might end up with "clearance" issues in ISSF with it...

an olympic and USAMU shooter that i know told me that both are very good guns but he kind of prefers the Anschutz for maintenance reasons...
streetglide

Post by streetglide »

I have the anschutz 8002s2 in black soft stock.
and i like it very much.
iam shooting for 6 mounth now and its the first rifle i bought.
i practice shooting 1-2 times a week and now i score around 570 points.

i think fwb, anschutz, walther or steyr are the best you can get.
its for you to decide what feels better for you.... anschutz or fwb.