TOZ-35M trigger problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MarTay6

TOZ-35M trigger problem

Post by MarTay6 »

I just received a TOZ-35M I purchased, and per Pilkguns instructions to ensure mainspring tension was relieved, I was able to accomplish the procedure:
Before putting the pistol away, check that the chamber is empty, then carry out the following procedure.

Cock the set trigger.

Using the action lever protruding through the grip, slightly open the action.

Fire the set trigger.

This should release the main spring.

If the action lever moves to the rear, it shows that the main spring is released.

Check by slightly opening the action.

Some spring tension indicates that the main spring has been released.

The pistol may now be stored.

If the action lever is "floppy", it means the spring is still compressed.
Once this has been done, one can dry fire the pistol by "opening the action enough to check that the chamber is empty.
Make sure that the main spring is not under tension. With the main spring released and the action lever locked in the rear position, the set trigger may now be cocked and dry fired without damaging the mechanism."

I have been unable to set the trigger now after the initial time following the procedure above to ensure mainspring tension is released. The first time, the trigger cocked/set just fine, but refuses to now.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
Wes
MarTay6

Re: TOZ-35M trigger problem

Post by MarTay6 »

Hmmm... cocked the cocking lever all the way one more time- and now the trigger seems to be setting properly in the dry fire mode... that was weird.
Wes
flolo

Post by flolo »

do what nearly everybody does: chamber an empty cartridge and release the trigger as you would normally do. if this doesn't work also, then you maybe messed something up by using the method described above
MarTay6

Post by MarTay6 »

I'm going down to Larry's Guns, in Gray, Maine Monday, I'll take it along with me and ask him to take a look at it- and perhaps familiarize me with it a bit more.
Wes
ScottSimmonds

Post by ScottSimmonds »

Did you get the problem fixed? I have a TOZ and had a similar problem.

Try adjusting the trigger weight screw (in front of trigger guard) half a turn - try clockwise - try to set trigger if that does not work go counter clockwise . If that does not help...

Look behind the trigger. There is a small screw. It is the sear engagement screw.

Turn the screw counter clockwise a few turns.

Set the trigger - it now should set.

Turn the screw slowly clockwise until the set trigger "fires"

Turn the screw counterclockwise a quarter turn.

Cock the set trigger & fire

Adjust the trigger weight screw (infront of trigger guard) to the weight you want.

Of course Larry Carter knows more about this stuff than I do.

As for dry firing the TOZ. I was mystified by the whole process until I took the grips off and looked at the hammer through the opening in the frame - from the left side of the gun. Pull the grips, go through the dry-firing process and see how the mechanism works.

Moving the lever cocks the hammer. Moving the lever just forward of the locked position blocks the hammer. With the lever slightly forward the lever stops the firing pin from going forward so the pin does not smash into the breach. As long as the first trigger pull is with the lever forward slightly you can dry fire all day long and the pin never comes close to the breach. (Probably have to see what I am talking about on the gun for this to make sense.)

I know nothing about the workings of a gun - though by taking the TOZ apart and looking at how the mechanisms work I am learning more.

Kinda fun.
madmax

Post by madmax »

I have a recently purchased "new" Toz 35M, made in 1992, tested and adjusted 2009, purchased 2013. Probably sitting in a warehouse for 17 years, then another 4 with a dealer.

It worked perfectly for about 3 months, approximately 800 rounds live fire + uncounted dry fires. 2 days before a major shoot it malfunctioned while dry firing at night. Panic stations!! Won't go into details, but I adjusted everything in sight, disassembled most of it. Couldn't find the problem, but it started working again.

A few months later the same thing happened. Gave it some thought. Realised that on the previous occasion it had started working after I had reassembled it and everything in the trigger mechanism was lubricated. This time I gave the trigger mechanism a good spray lube job. No problems since.

My conclusion is that everything was bone dry after spending so much time in storage. Just a thought.
MarTay6

Post by MarTay6 »

Thanks for the inputs, guys- I appreciate it. It seems to be working normally now. Now I need to start carving on the grips to start getting them to fit my hands! Can't wait for Spring to come- so I can get out and start shooting it.
Wes