UNinstall Bo-Mar Rib

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

conradin

UNinstall Bo-Mar Rib

Post by conradin »

My 1911 has a bo-mar rib on it. I want to know how to you uninstall it? I can physically see three hex screws, and after I removed them, the rib is almost loose with the exception that there is one more screw around the rear sight, but I cannot find it. I took out the spring and also the elevation screw of the rear sight along with the hex screw next to the spring. I still cannot find the remaining screw that screwed the rib to the slide....
where is that remaining screw and how do I reach it to unscrew it?
Do I need to tab the pin that hold the rear sight (the adjustable part) onto the rib out in order to reach it..is it actually under the rear sight blade?
See pic, and you can see that pin...do I need to tap that pin out in order to find the last screw that screw the rib onto the slide?
Attachments
Rear of the bo-mar rib with the rear sight.
Rear of the bo-mar rib with the rear sight.
DSC07860.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
Jon Eulette

Re: UNinstall Bo-Mar Rib

Post by Jon Eulette »

That's not the sight that rib originally came with. It was retrofitted. You probably need to remove the rear sight from rib to expose the other screw. So tighten all the screws, drift out rear sight and remove all screws.
Jon
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

Jon, I don't understand your answer as I thought some of the early Bomar ribs are this style:

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.6080066 ... 3&pid=15.1
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z224 ... r-0113.jpg

Curious to understand how to tell if one has been retrofitted since I have both types and assumed they were original Bomars?

Thanks.

Cecil
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

Bomar ribs didn't have dovetails for rear sight. Rib was machined for sight. This rib I'm 99% sure has been machined for a dovetailed Bomar. This rear sight was for a different pistol. Probably used to fix a rib with a damaged rear sight.
I could be mistaken but don't think so.
Jon
conradin

Post by conradin »

Accurizing by F. Bob Chow.
Attachments
DSC07859.jpg
DSC07859.jpg (28.8 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
conradin

Post by conradin »

The three visible screws:
Attachments
DSC07869.jpg
DSC07869.jpg (28.83 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

I don't have a Bomar rib i can look at right now, but they use 4 screws. That rear sight looks like a Ruger MKII sight put on a Bomar rib.
Jon
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

Forgot to mention that many of the older Bomar ribs had accuracy tuners. The rear screw is at rear of rib to make room for the tuner and it's 2 screws. 6 screws total.
Jon
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Definitely not a Bowmar rib. Now that we know the gun was built up by Bob Chow, it becomes evident that it was a rib built by Bob as well. The sight is exactly the same as on my Chow match gun, and while it looks like a Bowmar it is stamped as "Chow". The rib also seems to have different grooving from the typical Bowmar . I expect that ol' Bob did something devious with a fourth screw. If Bob's shop is still around- I visited it in 1979 - they are the best candidates to deal with it.

Dr Jim
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

Jon / Dr. Jim:

I appreciate the information, but the first link I posted showed a advertisement sheet for Bomar with the configuration shown in the first picture and the rib and the sight are both stamped "Bomar". From the advertisement picture in the link, it appears the very early Bomar ribs may have had this configuration.

So, I'm still trying to determine how we can tell if it is a retrofit or reworked Bomar? Since I have a few of both, I'm trying to determine what I really have. Thanks.

Cecil
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

OK could not see the stampings clearly. All my Bowmar ribs were from the mid 70s, so not two pieces. I did have a very early sight that had a S&W style blade on a base that was like a BMCS.
Once the three visible screws are out, is the rib loose enough to see where a fourth screw might be?

Dr Jim
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

In the Gil Hebard catalogs I have, the sight pictured was the early model.

I suspect that removing the elevation screw and lifting the sight leaf may reveal some retaining screws that hold the dovetail base in position.

Slacken the retaining screws and gently drift the rear sight base off with a plastic or brass drift. A final mounting screw may be located under the sight base. Fold the sight leaf down into the slot prior to removing the base to give support to the assembly when removing with a drift.

Cheers,

Dave
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

fc60, thanks for the confirmation. I would not want to mis-represent what I have as Bomar if it was no