Ammo choice Matchguns MG2

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CamelNL

Ammo choice Matchguns MG2

Post by CamelNL »

What ammo do you guys use in your MG2? I tried a few brands and the RWS pistol match seems to be the best choice (Yellow box). I also tried the RWS club but then i had jams, the cardridge refused to feed properly and the bolt would not close. (Orange box).
SamEEE

Re: Ammo choice Matchguns MG2

Post by SamEEE »

The latest batch of CCI Standard down here in NZ (batch 40006 Rev. D) is a bit out of spec.

Anything European should work okay. I like SK Standard Plus.

Pictures for a laugh - the bullet still made it to the target although the tear/hole was pretty weak. Not my heater, a friends one.

Image Image
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

You will have no such trouble if you use Eley Club or similar product.
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

Im not realy a fan of CCI. It seems those arent the most clean cardrigdes. Any experience with Geco. I saw a few people shooting with them but i think there not realy made for "our" sportpistols. More for the fun pistols.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

my experience is sk stuff will work ok. lapua pistol match also is ok. with both make sure the bullet does not move at all relative to the case (i had several that the bullet could rotate easily). since mg2 uses a lever to orient the tip of the bullet to the entrance of the chamber if the system bullet-case is not a solid one you may get the tip stuck at the upper part of the chamber entrance. i have also used geko pistol/rifle with ok results (pistol is discontinued in latest catalog and is replaced with geko auto), sk rifle (i really like it), eley club, rws 50 (really old stuff), sellier bellot standard and some american eagle (the red box) before i started using the rf weight. lately we only get sk standard here at federation RF matches and i got a couple that were too soft. as a result the slide got back enough to get the next bullet but not back enough to cock the pistol and so the hammer just followed the slide.
keep in mind that my mg2 had been retrofitted with the rf weight without changing springs or slide. it is my belief that in its current configuration the sk standard may be marginal but i dont have the time to investigate this further.
the mg2e-rf a friend got lately has worked nicely with sk standard / lapua pistol match but could not use blazer (hv stuff).
if i remember correctly the test target for my mg was shot with eley pistol match.
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

I bought a few Eley Tennex boxen for a cheap price (15euro) but even then it is way to expensive. The RWS pistol Match cost 6,50 euro and also group good. My weapon also double shot once with the RWS club cardridges, but the grouping were acceptable.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Once again...you will not have problems if you use Eley Club...orange pack and inexpensive.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I have Lapua, Eley, RWS, CCI, and SK of different grades, make sure ideally the grade is for rapid fire (usually that means 280 f/s, energy wise will automatically designed to match to the speed). They all work. If you use the regular grade (320+f/s), just beware there may be a slight kick to it, so put more barrel weight if you are super sensitive. Otherwise just choose a lower medium grade of any good brand and it should be more than OK. Just don't do Winchester 555 or Remington 525 and that sort of crap, which you can actually see the defect in casing by eye examination.
The one brand I have not tried is Fiocchi, and if you can find the TT rapid fire and test it, let us all know!
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Wrong! .......European ammunition is made to a different specification standard than US ammunition. Dimensions are different making tolerances different.
If you own a purpose built handgun like a Matchgun you will only get trouble free performance if using correct spec European ammunition.
Would you put the wrong octane fuel in a high performance automobile and expect it to function correctly...hell no, so don't think you can use incorrect specification ammunition in a Matchgun and expect elite performance. I can't imagine Mr. Morini being able to sleep at night reading some of this dribble.
For what it is worth I have owned four different Matchgun pistols since their first release and have finally listened to the factory regarding ammunition. The result being that my MG2RF has not caused one single problem in the last 5000 rounds. New owners could take advantage of such experience or argue to the contrary. Also I would forget 250 m/sec RF ammo as benefit gained will only be for the elite shooters amongst us ( read very few ) and for the rest a larger group size and thinner wallet will be the result.
conradin

Post by conradin »

deadeyedick wrote:Wrong! .......European ammunition is made to a different specification standard than US ammunition. Dimensions are different making tolerances different.
Notice that all of the ammo I own with the exception of CCI are European. CCI is the first thing I test to make sure it is OK. I do not use "Remington Eley" or something like that. So yes, buy medium-low grade if you like, but make sure it is of the high quality brand. The medium-low grade quality of a high quality brand like Eley "Club" would still beat the quality of Winchester 555.
Read the data provided by the manufacturer carefully, then go ahead and test.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Notice that all of the ammo I own with the exception of CCI are European. CCI is the first thing I test to make sure it is OK.
One of us is missing something here, and it could simply be a communication glitch but let me get this straight. The first thing you test is CCI to make sure it's OK... All the evidence confirms that MG2 owners are better off not using something like CCI which is dimensionally not suited, and your reply reads " CCI is the first thing I test to make sure it's OK".....WHAT !!!!!.... I hope new MG2 owners ( like yourself ) can see past this poor direction in the interest of avoiding unnecessary problems similar to those shown in the pictures posted by Sam.

Choose an ammunition that your MG2 will reliably digest like Eley Club, or another European brand that works that you can afford... AND STICK WITH IT !
conradin

Post by conradin »

deadeyedick wrote:
Notice that all of the ammo I own with the exception of CCI are European. CCI is the first thing I test to make sure it is OK.
One of us is missing something here, and it could simply be a communication glitch but let me get this straight. The first thing you test is CCI to make sure it's OK... All the evidence confirms that MG2 owners are better off not using something like CCI which is dimensionally not suited, and your reply reads " CCI is the first thing I test to make sure it's OK".....WHAT !!!!!.... I hope new MG2 owners ( like yourself ) can see past this poor direction in the interest of avoiding unnecessary problems similar to those shown in the pictures posted by Sam.

Choose an ammunition that your MG2 will reliably digest like Eley Club, or another European brand that works that you can afford... AND STICK WITH IT !
My CCI sv is fine. It is always fine with all my pistols. Maybe you guys in Europe get a different type? I don't even know there is a problem about CCI until the thread, and I have been shooting CCI sv for awhile. So I don't know what the problem you are trying to point out. If you don't test how do you know? If it does not fit it does not fit, you cannot force it. Things like extraction problem, etc. If it is performance related (groupings), then I would not bother with all the brands and then just use my four bricks of X-Act, which I think is even better than Eley Tenex (I also have a lot of them).
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

Few days ago i shot 10 shots at this target with RWS pistol Match. I tried different "club" brands but i got mallfunctions with them. It seems there not powerfull enough to cycle and results in a double shot.

94 points (shot with Matchguns MG2 + RWS pistol match. 25 meter). My previous record was 93 points shot with a Pardini.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Nice shooting Camel. Sounds like you may be using RWS pistol match for a while.
If doubles occur again ( and they might not ) the sear may be set too fine. Don't be afraid to turn the sear setting with the Allen key that has about 3-4mm return approximately 1/16 of a turn clockwise to stabilise the sear during recoil.
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

What does actually happen when i screw the sear?
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

luckily the mg2 has holes to its frame and you can clearly see the effect of each screw at sear length, weight etc.
just remember to turn each screw very little (1/8 or 1/16)
sobakavitch

. . . .

Post by sobakavitch »

. . . .
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

My fathers Mg2rf seems to eat everything without malfunctions with the exception of cci. Even my toz 35 won't take cci