Shooting Books

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
discotwo

Shooting Books

Post by discotwo »

I am not sure whether this is the correct place for this posting, but I have some books that I will be selling and needed to get an idea of a fair asking price as I know they are often difficult to find.

The books are:

Pistol Shooting by Hans Standl

Successful Pistol Shooting by Frank & Paul Leatherdale

Training Shooting Sports by Barth/Dreilich
David Levene

Re: Shooting Books

Post by David Levene »

Look on ebay. I'm sure that the first 2 will be on there, there's normally loads of copies available.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

I paid £ 3.49 for the Standl book, and £ 8.00 for the Leatherdale book.

The third book I am not so sure.

I bought both of these books of Abebooks.com - the shipping was worth more than the book in both cases.
Image Image
therider

Post by therider »

how are these books? any comments?
I only have "Pistol Shooting- The olympic disciplines" and I find it completely useless.
batty

Post by batty »

try abebooks.com
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

therider wrote:how are these books? any comments?
I only have "Pistol Shooting- The olympic disciplines" and I find it completely useless.

I thought the Leatherdale book was kind of so-so. Having read it I wouldn't buy a copy now.

The Standl book I got a lot of value from.
Image Image
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

SamEEE wrote:
I thought the Leatherdale book was kind of so-so. Having read it I wouldn't buy a copy now.

I'm surprised that "therider" considers the MEC book useless. It's certainly a lot more up to date, in depth and detailed than anything since Yur Yev's book. That said, there's some stuff in "Pistol Shooting- The olympic disciplines" that I take with a grain of salt. It's very difficult to separate what aspects are really important, vs fashionable.

I also found Standl's book to be useful. It's certainly a much easier read than Yur Yev.
william

Post by william »

Gwhite wrote:
SamEEE wrote:

I'm surprised that "therider" considers the MEC book useless. It's certainly a lot more up to date, in depth and detailed than anything since Yur Yev's book. That said, there's some stuff in "Pistol Shooting- The olympic disciplines" that I take with a grain of salt. It's very difficult to separate what aspects are really important, vs fashionable.

I also found Standl's book to be useful. It's certainly a much easier read than Yur Yev.
I, too, found the Standl book valuable. More readable than Yur'yev and with a much more practical approach for the shooter if perhaps not as useful for the training staff.
desben

Post by desben »

I just received Competitive Pistol Shooting by Laslo Antal and while I'm not very far into it, I like what I've read so far. A good discussion of the fundamentals and then event-specific information. For each discipline, it explains the course of fire, equipment, technique to adopt, how to approach the match, etc. While I think it is intended as an introduction, it contains many pieces of advice that seasoned shooters would benefit from re-exploring. I'm glad to have spent $20 on it.

I have the Leatherdale, Nonte and Standl books on order from Abe Books... It'll be interesting to see how they compare.