Advice on Walther LP400

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pgmlml

Advice on Walther LP400

Post by pgmlml »

Hi All (I'm Pedro from Portugal)

After a lot of digging, I finally decided I'm going to buy a Walther LP400.

I was shooting with a Benelli Kite ( 560 practising, 552 on the last match), and I'm looking for a lighter AP!
I tried several models before my decision, including the LP10 and the LP10E.
I don't care much about triggers because I believe in the end it's up to the way you ajust them!
The advatages I see over the Steyr are: the weight, the grip, the sight radius (distance from front sight to the eye is equal to the benelli), the built quality (that I experienced in the LP300 models) and the overall design!

So, like a Mariage, if anyone has something against it, this is the time for your last words ;)
I guess the answer i'm looking for is to the question: Will I my scores increase?!

PS: I read all topics on this forum about the walther, I read about issues with o-rings, compensators, trigger springs version, etc!!!

PS2: I can get a Matchgun for less, or a Steyr electronic for just a tad more...
Rover

Re: Advice on Walther LP400

Post by Rover »

Will your scores increase? That is one of the REAL questions that is asked on this site. You're really asking, "Can I buy points?"

The answer is not only "NO", but "HELL NO".

The Walther is a fine pistol, but so is the Benelli, and I don't see weight reduction as a solution to increase scores.

You would be better off tweaking (not twerking) your present pistol.

No falo portuguese.
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

I undestand what your saying! I don't want to buy points!

But I expect that a gun with a stabilizer to "mask" some of my errors... resulting in better scores!
The Benelli was a very nice gun, but I need some motivation and I want to start a consistent trainning schedule, and the Walther would the perfect choice, apparently!

Lets be reasonable, why do people change to "better"/newer guns?
desben

Post by desben »

Since you've already decided to buy an LP400... I've had a one-night stand with one. She was dressed in alu that night. I really enjoyed the grip; it fit my hand really well. I liked the balance of it. The trigger, as setup, was marvelous. It seemed really well put together and everything about it felt very slick. The loading gate required very little effort to operate, as if it was on ball bearings. Using a Morini immediately after felt stiff and crude (what!?). I could easily get married to one and live happily ever after. I would remain faithful and I would not covet my neighbor's pistol. There would be hard times (o-ring surgery) and good times (winning match). It would be a great partnership where I could grow and develop to be a better shooter. Amen!

If you want a shiny new toy, it's a good choice. If you want to increase your score, practice. You've hinted at this new pistol providing motivation to train more regularly... Be careful: the motivation from a new pistol doesn't last long, a few weeks at most. You will need to find motivation elsewhere. You're better off setting a goal (go up in classification, win matches, whatever).
poogi

Post by poogi »

I'm in the same boat. In fact I was about to start my own thread but this one showed up first.

Im trying to decided between the LP400 and the FWB P44. They are pretty much the same price.

Both have 3-way adjustable grips, although I think the Walther design might be better.
LP400 requires a tool to adjust sights?
P44 sights don't have depth adjustment?
P44 sights can be tilted.
I didn't see mention of the LP400 absorber system in the manual. Is it user adjustable?
Neither manual mentions how to adjust pellet velocity. Can either be changed.
LP400 seems to have modified the trigger a couple of times? (Doesn't sound like a good thing)
LP400 Alum vs Carbon besides weight and cosmetics any other function?

Any other opinions on either pistol? Trigger adjustments and consistency? Parts availability? Customer service? Quality?

Also kept reading how P34 and P40 were dogs that caused people to abandon FWBs. What was wrong with them and how did they fix it in the P44?
desben

Post by desben »

The LP400 does require a tool to adjust the sights. The adjustments seemed backwards to me, but I'm not German. Walther provides a nice tool in the box. Just bring it to the line with you. Or keep a small allen key in your pocket.
David M

Post by David M »

poogi wrote: I didn't see mention of the LP400 absorber system in the manual. Is it user adjustable?
Neither manual mentions how to adjust pellet velocity. Can either be changed.
LP400 seems to have modified the trigger a couple of times? (Doesn't sound like a good thing)
LP400 absorber system.....Is it user adjustable?
- Yes, both in release and speed.

How to adjust pellet velocity. Can either be changed?
- Yes, increase or decrease bolt spring tension.

- The first system used opposing springs and gave a better feel than the later but could not be
adjusted to a low second stage weight.
I now shoot a modified first style but with different spring rates and have the best of both worlds.
The opposing springs is a great system, it just needed a better balance of spring rates to suit your
own 1st stage/ 2nd stage feel.
The later trigger is just the same as every other mfg. airpistol. (spring against sear weight)

- The carbon has the
weight further back in the hand and the barrel is much stiffer.
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

It's nice to hear good things about the LP400!

I expect to see this pistol wining major events in the next 5 or more years! I suspect Walther was thinking everybody would change from their LP300 to the 400, but changing gun It's not an easy choice (not always a good choice)!

It's time to get divorced and marrie a young lady, sorry father for i have sinned, but I like them fresh and beautiful! :)
Rover

Post by Rover »

I like them fresh and beautiful, too, but unfortunately they don't stay that way. A trade-in is much simpler if you're not married.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Pedro, sent you a pm. Check your inbox.

Happy New Year everyone!
v76

Post by v76 »

pgmlml wrote: But I expect that a gun with a stabilizer to "mask" some of my errors... resulting in better scores!
The lack of feedback will definitely mask your mistakes, making them more difficult to analyze & pinpoint and thus, more difficult to rectify.
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

Yes, thats what I'm looking for ;)
I'm a bit tired af analyzing my shooting and I want to make a real change... but I can always borrow an LP300 and star all over again!

No offense, but focusing too much on mistakes won't help me no more!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

pgmlml wrote:No offense, but focusing too much on mistakes won't help me no more!
If you don't recognise your mistakes then you will keep making them.

No matter how good the gun is, it can only REDUCE the effect of the mistakes, and then only by a limited amount.
Rover

Post by Rover »

But the guy just wants a new toy! Don't spoil his fun by telling him he won't increase his scores (buy points) when he has absolutely convinced himself otherwise.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

pgmlml wrote:After a lot of digging, I finally decided I'm going to buy a Walther LP400.

I was shooting with a Benelli Kite ( 560 practising, 552 on the last match), and I'm looking for a lighter AP!
I thought this was strange but have only just checked.

As far as I can see, the LP400 is heavier than the Kite.
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

thanks Rover, you understand me, dont spoil my fun, please!

We are talking like if the LP400 was the ultimate AP, that shots only 10's!
Of course I will still learn and recognize my mistakes with the LP400, or any other xpto AP (with stabilizer)!

This reminds me the thread were you could only buy the full lenght LP10, if you shot at least 550! :) Do I have to shot 570 befor buying the LP400? lol

I know Shooting AP60 is about practising a lot, be humble and recognize errors! At least that has been the way for me... but I just feel it's time to change!
pgmlml

Post by pgmlml »

David,
the LP400 is 950g with cylinder, while the kite is 1090g!!!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

pgmlml wrote: the LP400 is 950g with cylinder, while the kite is 1090g!!!
Oh I see; Benelli give the weight without the cylinder.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"This reminds me the thread were you could only buy the full length LP10, if you shot at least 550! :) Do I have to shot 570 before buying the LP400? lol"

Why the hell not, I shot higher scores with a FWB 90 springer.
poogi

Post by poogi »

David Levene wrote:No matter how good the gun is, it can only REDUCE the effect of the mistakes, and then only by a limited amount.
If this statement is true, then it means that you can indeed buy points.