Steyr LP10 shot count

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
micken

Steyr LP10 shot count

Post by micken »

Prompted partially by another thread in this section of the forum and out of idle curiosity I decided to empty my LP10 full size air cylinder by continuing to shoot pellets after finishing one of my normal rounds of ten shots on each of fifteen targets. I did this by putting a scope onto it that I'd used on my LP50 compact and shooting a string of ten shot groups at 10m. I was a little surprised by the results as shown in the scan of the target below.

The poi of the pellets was a little to the left of poa after mounting the scope and I didn't bother to re-zero. The following table shows the shot strings and poa's of the numbered groups of Bisley Practice pellets. The poa's started at the bull and then I used the numbers printed in the scoring rings, the pen annotations show the sequence of groups.

Shots 1-150 normal round of 15 practice targets.

Shots group poa

151-160 1 bull
161-170 2 8
171-180 3 6
181-190 4 4
191-200 5 2
201-210 6 7
211-220 7 5
221-230 8 3
231-240 9 8
241-250 10 6
251-260 11 4
260-275 12 4

There's quite clearly a trend in the shots dropping from group 9 onwards. When I got to group 12 I continued beyond 10 shots and put another 5 on the target. At this stage the cylinder was almost empty, the sound of the shots had changed and the pellets were tearing through the target. Since I didn't want to shoot onto the first group I stopped at that point.

I would now be confident using this pistol for at least another round of 50 shots beyond the 150 that I normally stop at.

Given more time I would be interested in repeating the exercise using 10m air rifle target strips to get a linear pattern of groups rather than working round a pistol target. I'd also be interested in chronographing the shots and logging the cylinder pressure, albeit a little crude.

I found it an interesting excercise overall.
therider

Re: Steyr LP10 shot count

Post by therider »

thanks!
your data seem to contradict the "facts"
:-)
micken

Post by micken »

therider wrote:thanks!
your data seem to contradict the "facts"
Yes, I realise that, but it was only idle curiosity. Can't for the life of me see where I went wrong.

;-)
Rover

Post by Rover »

Not to be critical, but the holes in your quality target don't seem to be very clean. This makes me suspect the velocity of your pistol is somewhat low, but still pretty good for that many shots.

I haven't tested my LP1 in such a fashion, but I shoot 100 shots (full shaker box) before refilling. I do get more shots out of a cylinder, but not a lot. I'm getting about 525 fps with 7gr pellets.

That WAS a fun thread BTW.
micken

Post by micken »

Rover wrote:Not to be critical, but the holes in your quality target don't seem to be very clean. This makes me suspect the velocity of your pistol is somewhat low, but still pretty good for that many shots.

I haven't tested my LP1 in such a fashion, but I shoot 100 shots (full shaker box) before refilling. I do get more shots out of a cylinder, but not a lot. I'm getting about 525 fps with 7gr pellets.

That WAS a fun thread BTW.
The Bisley Practice pellets weigh in at 7.2 grains and are a little rough and ready compared with match pellets. They do, however, group within the ten ring of a 10m ISSF pistol target through my LP50 at 20 yards. The head profile is probably not as sharp as with match pellets.

It will be interesting to chrono both pistols and compare shot holes, the power of my LP50 is set higher than my LP10. I'll post some more information when I've had the chance to use the chrono, then we'll know what's going on hopefully.

I get 65 shots from each LP50 compact cylinder and usually refill at 50 shots. Air hungry I know, but loads of fun.

therider

Post by therider »

Rover,

I had the same experience with diabolo test. See the attached link.
I bought diabolo N.10 (numbers on the second row ). You clearly see that series 13 (from 60-65 shots on a fully loaded cilinder) deteriorates as compared to series n. 7 (from 30 to 35 shots on a fully laoded cilinder ) and series n.1 (starting with second, fully loaded cylinder) ( from shot 1 tp 5).
Note that the LP10E had just been serviced by Steyr and I had specifically asked to check for air leaks.

Still air cilinder is enougth for a competition.
therider

Post by therider »

v76

Post by v76 »

Would be a bit more useful to know the velocity/pellets weight but thanks for going ahead with a real test rather than endless babble.
Seems to mirror my experience in that I don't really have to care about this...
therider

Post by therider »

v76 wrote: Seems to mirror my experience in that I don't really have to care about this...
of course you dont' have to otherwise there would be 53% of crazy professionals (according to Igor's blog http://toz35.blogspot.it/2014/09/wch-20 ... stics.html) who shot with LP10 at last WCH, an increase from 34% in 2010!

Again probably my LP10e is not as good as my MGH1 on this respect, but it is a minor issue for me.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Rover wrote:Not to be critical, but the holes in your quality target don't seem to be very clean. This makes me suspect the velocity of your pistol is somewhat low, but still pretty good for that many shots.
Yes, agree. Apparently pellet velocity here is very low. And, as velocity is not given, the "test" above has hardly any real value.
I may reset my Steyr LP 10 to a velocity of, say, 120 m/s, and probably get an even higher shot count.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I guess I'll chime in again.

Since ALL the guns in your club are doing the same thing (as opposed to many here), I suspect ALL your members are not getting a complete fill. While a partially empty SCUBA tank will give you a full 200 bar, it will NOT give you as many shots as a full tank. If you're using a compressor, it may be not giving a full charge.

Just sayin'.
micken

Post by micken »

v76 wrote:Would be a bit more useful to know the velocity/pellets weight but thanks for going ahead with a real test rather than endless babble.
Chrono'd it today at 460 feet/second, that's 140 metres/second with the 7.2 grain Bisley Practice pellets I used on that target. I'm guessing that match pellets at 7 grains and 4.49mm head size might give a slightly higher velocity but didn't have any to put through the pistol today. As mentioned previously these are cheap practice pellets and probably don't have the sharp head profile that the better quality match pellets will have.

I'm happy with the grouping of these pellets for my purposes and at 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of match pellets they suit my needs, I used three and a half tins last week.
micken

Post by micken »

northpaw wrote:
Yes, agree. Apparently pellet velocity here is very low. And, as velocity is not given, the "test" above has hardly any real value.
I may reset my Steyr LP 10 to a velocity of, say, 120 m/s, and probably get an even higher shot count.
See my post above, so yes you would get an even higher shot count with 120 m/s. Go for it if it would make you happy and let us know what the grouping's like over a 300+ shot string.
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

micken wrote:
v76 wrote:Would be a bit more useful to know the velocity/pellets weight but thanks for going ahead with a real test rather than endless babble.
Chrono'd it today at 460 feet/second, that's 140 metres/second with the 7.2 grain Bisley Practice pellets I used on that target. I'm guessing that match pellets at 7 grains and 4.49mm head size might give a slightly higher velocity but didn't have any to put through the pistol today. As mentioned previously these are cheap practice pellets and probably don't have the sharp head profile that the better quality match pellets will have.

I'm happy with the grouping of these pellets for my purposes and at 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of match pellets they suit my needs, I used three and a half tins last week.
I use RWS Hobby. I find them very good for the money. £38.99 for 5000 delivered from here. http://www.countrywaygunshop.co.uk/prod ... e-pellets/
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
v76

Post by v76 »

Missed that - thanks, that'll teach me to post during finals. :D (Still don't care!)
micken

Post by micken »

Wynne G Oldman wrote:
micken wrote:

I use RWS Hobby. I find them very good for the money. £38.99 for 5000 delivered from here. http://www.countrywaygunshop.co.uk/prod ... e-pellets/
Thanks for that, it's about the same as I pay for the BP's. I use .22 Hobby's in my Tau7 and my 1979 Webley Tempest, which loves them.