extended arm forced or relaxed

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

richrd

extended arm forced or relaxed

Post by richrd »

When I was was much younger I had a fair amount of natural ability but a shortage of money and knowledge of the finer points of shooting anstill manged to shoot high sharpshooter or low expert scores. Then followed 30 years of rifle shooting. Now I'm back to to pistols. (with more experience but somehow less ability)

Anyway, the other night on the range I noticed I was really extending or forcing the arm out straight. Is this correct or would I be better off with a relaxed arm?

Thanks
Trooperjake

Re: extended arm forced or relaxed

Post by Trooperjake »

I am sure more experienced shooters will chime in here.

My 2 cents is;
You do NOT want to shoot with a relaxed arm.
You may get away with it when shooting the 22, it will be a disaster with the 45.
Isabel1130

Re: extended arm forced or relaxed

Post by Isabel1130 »

richrd wrote:When I was was much younger I had a fair amount of natural ability but a shortage of money and knowledge of the finer points of shooting anstill manged to shoot high sharpshooter or low expert scores. Then followed 30 years of rifle shooting. Now I'm back to to pistols. (with more experience but somehow less ability)

Anyway, the other night on the range I noticed I was really extending or forcing the arm out straight. Is this correct or would I be better off with a relaxed arm?

Thanks
Trooper Jake is correct, I believe. A relaxed arm will lead to wrist and elbow movement which can give you really bad shots.
A rock solid arm will shrink your arc of movement considerably.

Try and move the gun from your shoulder only, and keep a very consistent grip. Your grip doesn't have to be tight. It just needs to be consistent.

It is human nature to want to over tighten the fingers on grip as you stiffen the arm.

Find a grip that allows you to manage recoil, and doesn't impede your trigger finger.

The recoil with a 22 is not enough to break your wrist or change your grip. The right grip becomes very important for success with the 45.

I recommend a Zins clinic but it takes a lot of practice to shoot successful rapid fire with a 45. Pay very careful attention to everything you do in practice when you are shooting well.

Then, don't change anything when you get to a match.