Free Pistol for Left Handers

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mld

Free Pistol for Left Handers

Post by mld »

Is there such a thing? I've searched multiple manufacturers and can't find one.

Is it possible to move the controls to the right side of the frame in a safe manner?

Just curious. A fellow shooter now shoots AP and wants to try FP as well.
Gwhite

Re: Free Pistol for Left Handers

Post by Gwhite »

There are two things you have to deal with; cocking/opening the action, and setting the trigger. Most of the mechanical triggers have the setting lever on the left, which could be awkward. The Morini electronic trigger doesn't have that issue, but the lever for opening the action is on the left. Because it is near the top, it's probably still quite usable. Supposedly someone (Hammerli?) did make a real left handed free pistol long ago, but they are very rare.

For safety reasons, dealing with an awkward trigger setting system would bother me more than working the action with the "wrong" hand.

A very good option would be the Pardini PGP-75. The action might even be easier to work with the right hand, and the trigger setting lever is ambidextrous. The bad news is that they have been out of production for so long, nobody makes grips for them anymore. The grip isn't that complicated in terms of mounting, so one might be able to make your own. The MIT team has a number of PGP's, and one of our mechanical engineering students is looking into making 3D printed grips for them. We have a couple women shooting free pistol, and the "small" factory grip is still too big for most of them.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

Although it may look awkward to right-handers, operating a side-cocking 50-meter pistol with the left hand is not a problem. The motion of dropping the breech block, which requires the most force in the unload and load operation, is actually easier/smoother with the right hand because the thumb can be braced against the frame to counter the finger's lifting motion.

If that is not comfortable, try an under-lever TOZ35.

j-team

Post by j-team »

I think the Matchguns MG5 would be consdered ambidextrous as the loading lever is on the top.

True Left hand Toz 35s do exist, but good luck finding one!
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

A toz 35 would be easily modified to be left handed
6string

Post by 6string »

There was a left handed Pfuff free pistol just listed for sale last week!
I'm a lefty and I shoot the old Hammerli free pistols, built as a true left hander. They used to make them not only with a left hand grip, but with a lever on the right side for cocking the set trigger. That's a bigger deal than you'd think, since the frame needs to have a cut-out for the lever. So, they actually had to make a left hand frame!
I've used other free pistols that were simply right handed but with a left hand grip. Frankly, it bothered me to have to reach over to operate one (or two!) levers on the wrong side. It also bothers me that with all the attention supposedly put into the ergonomics of a good match grade pistol, that the various makers choose to ignore this detail.
Those old Hammerlis are really something, built to order one at a time, with real craftsmanship.

Referring to a previous post, the Pardini PGP 75 is a pretty neat design. I've used one with a left hand grip. With the top mounted bolt and forward mounted set trigger lever it's quite nice for a lefty. They shoot very well, too.
tufty

Post by tufty »

I use a left handed Morini free pistol,and it's never been an issue having the cocking lever on the left,just as it's never bothered me that the cocking lever on my air pistol is on the left,us lefties are nothing if not adaptable :-)
J

Post by J »

Yes, the Pfuff Left Handed free pistol is a true left handed gun in all respects. All controls are on the opposite side, and the cant of the grip is for a left handed person. It also is sold.

The other that could be considered a true LH gun is the LH Steyr. The reason for this is a little different. The controls are truly ambidexterous for loading and cocking. The sight cant can be set as R or L handed. I have one of those still for sale at this point.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Electronic Trigger (Morini Cm84E) probably is the best way to go about having a left handed free pistol.. Since unlike semi-automatic, the casing will not be ejected after firing automatically, you do not have to worry about which direction the casing going out. The only small inconvenience is the cocking lever being designed for the right hand shooter.