Steyr LP2 V LP10?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Wynne G Oldman

Steyr LP2 V LP10?

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

I'm thinking of buying a Steyr LP2. I'd like a LP10, but it costs around £300 more, and I'd really be stretching my budget to buy the LP2. I really like the look of the LP2 but I haven't noticed any of the top shooters using them at all. Is there a reason for this? Is the LP10 that much better, or is it just a case of the top people get the top pistol? All opinions appreciated.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
Rover

Re: Steyr LP2 V LP10?

Post by Rover »

Why not read this. I believe it has more posts than any other thread on this forum.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46489
v76

Post by v76 »

TLDR version of the thread above: buy a Daisy 717 and spend the rest on beer.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Wynne G Oldman wrote:I'm thinking of buying a Steyr LP2. I'd like a LP10, but it costs around £300 more, and I'd really be stretching my budget to buy the LP2. I really like the look of the LP2 but I haven't noticed any of the top shooters using them at all. Is there a reason for this? Is the LP10 that much better, or is it just a case of the top people get the top pistol? All opinions appreciated.
there is a reason. lp2 doesnt have an electronic trigger. I would never go back to a mechanical trigger after using an electronic
mctrucky

Post by mctrucky »

The LP10 doesn't have an electronic trigger, it has the same trigger as the LP2. Obviously the LP10E has an electronic trigger...

Difference in cost is there is no recoil absorption mechanism (some would argue that removing the mechanism is a good thing as on the LP10 they do go wrong and affect the consistency of the pellet velocity, and therefore accuracy and point of impact - but those people usually buy Morini).
The rear sight mechanism is less adjustable (infinitely adjustable on LP10, two options on theLP2), this may be an issue if you like to fiddle.
No additional shrouds on the barrel saves another penny or two in manufacturing cost
The LP2 only comes with one cylinder; you will want two if you are going to compete and that will cost you another £100 or so.

So the LP2 is not the bargain it appears next to an LP10, but is a very good gun and will easily hold its own in any competition in the right hands.

McT
rmca

Post by rmca »

Wynne,

mctrucky pretty much said it all. The LP2 is very similar to the LP10, but the lack of a recoil absorber and a fixed rear sight gap, is the main reason why you don't' see it top competitions. For me, the absorber is fundamental to a good follow thru, as it completely eliminates the recoil (it's a small recoil, but it would still move the gun), and makes the pistol completely still after the shot.

In my opinion you should go with one of these two roads,

1- Save for a little longer and get a new LP10. You will never look back, I can guarantee it! That's what I did three years ago!
2 - Or, for a little less than what a new LP2 costs, you can get a LP10 like new on the second hand market. If you are already stretching your budget this would be the road I'd take. If you find out that this isn't the sport for you, you can resell it for pretty much what you paid for it. They hold their value very well.

As for an electronic trigger vs a mechanical one, I prefer the mechanical. It´s like oranges and apples, some like the first, some like the later more. There are tons of information on these two triggers were. Do a quick search and you will see.

One last thing, make sure that you get a grip that fits you. That's very important, as it minimizes the work that has to be done to fit properly, and thus reduces errors.

Long story short, forget the LP2 and get an LP10, new or second hand.

Hope this helps
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

The biggest difference is the length of sight radius: the LP2 falls nicely between the LP10 and LP10 Compact.
LP10 C 266 - 315mm
LP2 311 - 335MM
LP10 316 -365mm
If you're not shooting 555 and above, you'll probably get there sooner with the shorter option. This advice comes not from me but from this boards host Scott Pilkington. The LP2 weighs a bit less and is said to be less "nose heavy" than LP10.
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

The new LP2s sold in the UK now have the LP10 type adjustable rear sight. (Check this before buying) and as said previously the LP10 recoil absorber is not 100% reliable.
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

Thanks for all your replies. Lots of good info. That's given me plenty to think about. Maybe I'll just stick with my Izzy for a while longer. There's no rush to decide.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
Rover

Post by Rover »

Now THAT'S thinking. Remember there are lots of great guns out there for little money; keep looking.
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

Yes, I'll be interested to see the first customer reviews of the new FAS 6004. I see that a chap on here is waiting for his to arrive. I'm looking forward to his opinion.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
therider

Post by therider »

Muffo wrote: I would never go back to a mechanical trigger after using an electronic
This was also my opinion until I tried Pardini k12..... Its trigger is second only to matchguns MGH1!