Buy a new gun

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Shall we continue to avoid the pesky little "they don't make them any more" issue? I just did a quick search on the BST forum here and in the past year (forgive me if I missed one) one FWB 65 was listed and sold and one FWB 100, and 3 Pardini K58's (one lefty). Five pistols for sale in a year, doesn't really bode well for growth in the sport. I'm happy for now to continue with my 46M because I know when I snatch the trigger the pellet lands in the exact same spot as it would if I snatched the trigger with the reigning Olympic champions gun.
Could someone please answer my question concerning the "expense and headache" of PCP?
v76

Post by v76 »

Rover wrote:My "assertions" lie in actually having had successful experience with the guns in question.

I don't object to any "stuff," but "assert" that you will most likely NOT shoot any better by spending twice the money.

Prove me wrong. (But you already spent that money, didn't you?)
Aw that's cute, now it's about me... Dig in deeper and you'll see that I agree, partly, with that overused-and-in-a-vacuum statement. As toddinjax said, the whole argument dodges the market for SSPs, which is almost nil and generally overpriced, invalidates the first part of the premise. Your initial assertions (no need for "") go quite a bit beyond the prices and stab in directly at the value of the technology itself. This is why I'm questioning your use for one - even after owning (and selling) the best SSPs ever made. I don't buy all the deals I stumble upon, especially when I don't believe in them. But they do shoot very well.... (Oops, I mean, the shooter does, the gun is irrelevant).

(P.S. I'm trying to snatch that K58 on the BST! Albeit, not for that much.)
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

toddinjax wrote:Could someone please answer my question concerning the "expense and headache" of PCP?
I'm guessing is that Rover was referring to:

1. Cost of the higher initial expense of the pcp pistol
2. Cost of filling equipment (pumps) or scuba tank
3. Cost of tank refills and hydro testing every 5 yrs.
4. Cost of replacing the air cylinders after 10 yrs. if you are competing in sanctioned AP matches.

I'm not sure what the "headache" reference was about???
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

45ACP223 wrote:
toddinjax wrote:Could someone please answer my question concerning the "expense and headache" of PCP?
I'm guessing is that Rover was referring to:

1. Cost of the higher initial expense of the pcp pistol
2. Cost of filling equipment (pumps) or scuba tank
3. Cost of tank refills and hydro testing every 5 yrs.
4. Cost of replacing the air cylinders after 10 yrs. if you are competing in sanctioned AP matches.

I'm not sure what the "headache" reference was about???
Or get a morini that has a 20 year expiry on their cylindars. I get my tank filled for free, and the hydro test works out at 18 dollars a year

Yes you have to buy a pump or a tank
Rover

Re: Buy a new gun

Post by Rover »

I remember Don Nygord saying someplace, that he was shooting next to a famed Russian shooter at some "world class" match. The Russian was shooting the FAS604 (I think it was Domino then). He would set the gun on the bench to close it.

Anyway, my point is that since at least some world class shooters were using the gun, it must have been OK. The one I examined was very nice.

At a price of $388 (roughly 20% of the cost of a new PCP) anyone can get into the game.
David Levene

Re:

Post by David Levene »

Muffo wrote:Or get a morini that has a 20 year expiry on their cylindars.
Not any more they don't. They have reduced to 10 years as well.
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

Price must have gone up since folks started talking it up on TT :-) Now it's listed a $538.

http://store.chiappafirearms.com/produc ... ch-pp.html
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

45ACP223 wrote:Price must have gone up since folks started talking it up on TT :-) Now it's listed a $538.

http://store.chiappafirearms.com/produc ... ch-pp.html
The standard grip model is $388.

http://store.chiappafirearms.com/produc ... rd-pp.html
FredB

Post by FredB »

Rover wrote:I remember Don Nygord saying someplace, that he was shooting next to a famed Russian shooter at some "world class" match. The Russian was shooting the FAS604 (I think it was Domino then). He would set the gun on the bench to close it.

Anyway, my point is that since at least some world class shooters were using the gun, it must have been OK. The one I examined was very nice.

At a price of $388 (roughly 20% of the cost of a new PCP) anyone can get into the game.
I think Don wrote that about observing someone laboring over an Air Match 600, not a FAS 604. The Air Match side lever charging does take quite a bit of effort. Aside from that it was a great gun.
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

Good catch, I didn't realize there was two different links for standard and target grips. If you go with standard grips, it's quite a bit cheaper than an Izzy. How is the physical size, big or about like a 45ACP? I like the feel of a conventional pistol vs. the typical 10 meter style.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

FredB wrote:I think Don wrote that about observing someone laboring over an Air Match 600, not a FAS 604. The Air Match side lever charging does take quite a bit of effort. Aside from that it was a great gun.
IIRC, that's what Don was referring to. The AM600 needed refined technique and a very strong hand to close with composure. It did have nearly ideal balance and an absolutely superb trigger, though.

Here's a vid of the FAS604 loading/charging motions. Your granny can shoot it. He's using the table as a rest, and I recommend it to newbs as a way to keep muzzles pointed down range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcDxyKzML3Q
conradin

Re:

Post by conradin »

toddinjax wrote:Shall we continue to avoid the pesky little "they don't make them any more" issue? I just did a quick search on the BST forum here and in the past year (forgive me if I missed one) one FWB 65 was listed and sold and one FWB 100, and 3 Pardini K58's (one lefty). Five pistols for sale in a year, doesn't really bode well for growth in the sport. I'm happy for now to continue with my 46M because I know when I snatch the trigger the pellet lands in the exact same spot as it would if I snatched the trigger with the reigning Olympic champions gun.
Could someone please answer my question concerning the "expense and headache" of PCP?
There are plenty of FWB65/80/90 in Egun. I got two FWB65 from Egun. Keep looking.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

45ACP223 wrote:... How is the physical size, big or about like a 45ACP? I like the feel of a conventional pistol vs. the typical 10 meter style.
Here is the 604 above a .22lr FAS602 standard match pistol.

Rover

Post by Rover »

Sharp eye, Fred B. I was going from an ancient memory on Nygords' mention of the gun. I still think the FAS 6004 is nice. I've been thinking about one myself as a new toy. The high priced model has really excellent grips. I also think it would be an excellent trainer (if not competition gun) for a Bullseye shooter. It is NOT a piece of crap.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Ok, drifting slightly off topic but...

Was there a FAS 605? If so what was it?

601 .22short Rapid fire pistol
602 .22lr Standard pistol
603 .32 Centre Fire pistol
604 SSP Air pistol
605 ??????
606 SSP Air pistol
607 .22lr Standard pistol
608 .22 short Rapid fire pistol
609 PCP Air pistol
Muffo

Re: Re:

Post by Muffo »

David Levene wrote:
Muffo wrote:Or get a morini that has a 20 year expiry on their cylindars.
Not any more they don't. They have reduced to 10 years as well.
That just plain sucks then. Oh well I have 6 years left on my old ones. By then something better might be around
Rover

Post by Rover »

"something better might be around"

SSP?
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Rover wrote:"something better might be around"

SSP?
Na I have intentions of competing at a high level so thats out
Leon

Post by Leon »

j-team wrote:Ok, drifting slightly off topic but...

604 SSP Air pistol
605 ??????
606 SSP Air pistol
609 PCP Air pistol
If anyone in Australia has a nice. mint FAS 608 they would like to part with, please PM me. Would love to add one to my FAS collection....
FredB

Post by FredB »

j-team wrote:Ok, drifting slightly off topic but...

604 SSP Air pistol
605 ??????
606 SSP Air pistol
609 PCP Air pistol
I seem to remember a rumor that FAS were planning a free pistol at the same time as they developed the 606. So quite possibly number 605 was reserved for that unmade dream. I wish they had done it - their designs are so elegant that it would have been great.