Morini CM84E Malfunction

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Reinhamre

Morini CM84E Malfunction

Post by Reinhamre »

Hi,

My free pistol has started to go off "by itself"
No, it is not Dirty! The CM84E should not fire unless the beam is broken but it does all the time so when I open to load it can go off during loading. It will not fire the shot because the breach has not been closed but it is only a case of time. Note this video how easy it goes off.

http://youtu.be/k2Aplom7nnk[/url]
FredB

possible

Post by FredB »

Hi Kent,
In the video it looks like you have the trigger blade turned nearly 90* from the usual position. The blade may now be blocking the light path of the optical safety. If your trigger weight is set quite low and the light path is blocked, the trigger will fire easily at any time. Just a possibility.
Regards,
FredB
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

No FredB, it has been turned 90 degrees and not blocking the light path in any way. It does not matter how it is turned, the result is the same.
David M

Post by David M »

You need to check if it is going off by the electronics or if it is the sear slipping or not engaging properly with loading forces.
Do you have the problem of the firing pin dropping with the battery turned off ?
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

David M,
It is the electronic part that is to blame here, that I am sure of but is it the card or a cold welding somewhere?
In the video you can see that the pistol and electronic are separated. The sear is fine. The problem is that the pistol can be fired when the light path of the optical safety is not broken. With light trigger it does not keep trigger contact circuit closed during the loading process. That should not be a problem, the optical safety should prevent the pistol from firing so long as the beam is not obstructed.
If the beam is not working, would that cause this problem? Or does the pistol need a working beam to fire?
I use the light spring but as you can see from the video there is tension on the spring.
To you all owner of a 84E, is it possible to fire the pistol just by giving it a dash from the rear with no finger on the trigger? Use dry fire for safety :-)!
JiriK

Post by JiriK »

I don´t yet have 84e, but I think Morini uses IR-transmitter/receiver as the light safety system.

If transmitter (led) is dead/bad connection between it and card -> no light to receiver -> ok to fire.

Do you have digital camera with live viewfinder? Those usually see if a IR transmitter, like tv remote is working. Maybe camera can also see if the IR-led Morini used is working.
David M

Post by David M »

OK, next trick is to swap the circuit board with another. This will tell you if it is the board or the fixed sensor's.
Nev C

Post by Nev C »

Just curious, if on loading, the gun fires without the trigger being pressed as in this case, is it counted as a competition shot or is it a malfunction?
rmca

Post by rmca »

Nev C wrote:Just curious, if on loading, the gun fires without the trigger being pressed as in this case, is it counted as a competition shot or is it a malfunction?
It counts as a competition shot. The trigger was not pulled.

6.13 MALFUNCTIONS
6.13.1 A malfunction occurs when a gun fails to fire a projectile when the
trigger is pulled.
6.13.2 Malfunctions may be either ALLOWABLE OR NON-ALLOWABLE.
ALLOWABLE MALFUNCTIONS ARE:
a) A cartridge fails to fire;
b) A bullet or pellet is lodged in the barrel; or
c) The gun fails to fire or function properly and the trigger
mechanism has been released.
NON-ALLOWABLE MALFUNCTIONS are:
a) The athlete has opened the action of his gun;
b) The safety was engaged;
c) The athlete did not properly load his gun;
d) The athlete did not pull the trigger; or
e) The malfunction is due to any cause that could reasonably
have been corrected by the athlete.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

it is possible that somewhere a naked wire or solder joint makes contact with the frame. perhaps something got bumped and got out of position. it happened to my mg1e. i got the board out but didnt lock it properly when i assembled everything back. the result was a gun that clicked to a slight bump.
David M

Post by David M »

Even worse, if the pistol has a AD then is a unsafe pistol, lose the shot, claim a break and cease and either replace the pistol or remove it from the line until it is repaired.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

The circuit board is OK. A shooting friend (thank you Thomas) had a spare trigger unit. Sending the not working unit to company representing Morini in Sweden will fix my problem. The lamp emitting light is black on the not working trigger unit and bright clear on the older but working unit. Might have something to do with my problem.