Average time for 60 shots?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Average time for 60 shots?

Post by toddinjax »

Just a general question: How long does it normally take you to fire a 60 shot match? Do you take (literally) a minute or more to let muscles rest and to re-oxygenate, visualize the next shot?

Thanks, todd.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Barring anything going wrong I normally like to finish in about 65 minutes, including several "sit-downs".

I like to keep the other 10 minutes "just in case".

edit note: AP60 on ESTs
Last edited by David Levene on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Which match are you talking about?

It only takes 72 seconds (hopefully) to shoot a 60 shot Rapid Fire match!

Assuming you mean Free Pistol or Air Pistol? It can depend on how the match is run and whether you are on paper or electronic targets. On electronics you can shoot un-interupted and can get through a match in a much shorter time than if you have to change targets every shot (Air Pistol) or break to change targets every 10-20 shots (Free Pistol). So, the range you are shooting on can influence what tempo you shoot at.

Also, I don't think there is any set rules as to how fast you shoot. I tend to shoot my best matches when I shoot quite quickly, but I know others that do better if they use all or most of the time available. You need to try various tactics for yourself and decide what suits you best.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Assuming AP on paper targets, my rule of thumb is 15 minutes per ten shots including a rest period (sit down 1 min) and a bit more for FP.

I tend to use more than 15 minutes in the first 10 shots but by the 30th shot I'm normally half way through the match time (45min AP or 52min FP). My last three series are faster, and I normally have around 8 to 10 minutes on the clock by the last shot.

Try to use most of the time available to you. To me it makes no sense to finish a match with 35 minutes to go, unless you were shooting exceptionally well that time. But if it works for you, go for it!

The key is to find a pace that suits you.

Hope this helps
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't pay any attention to the time in AP and FP. I take a break after every 20 shots.

Normally I'll fire slowly and increase my speed per shot as I "settle in." I'm usually finished with plenty of time to spare.

Generally, the faster I can get a shot off the better. I'm in better shape by the end of the match that way.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Air Pistol: On a good day when I am running a full head of steam I shoot around 1h 5m, 1h10m on mechanical targets. Smash them out, make hay while the sun shines mentality.

On a rough day I usually finish with a few minutes to spare due to taking breaks and stuff. If it is going really bad I usually have a cup of tea etc.

Free: I take breaks often to keep fresh and stop the blood pooling in my feet. I am less confident shooting Free so I cancel a lot and it takes me a long time to shoot it - I usually go right down to the wire.

Standard: I shoot the 10s with the mentality of line up one good shot and then empty the gun with good trigger control and even pacing. I'll usually tap the cadence on my earmuffs to remind myself there is a heap of time. I am yet to shoot a 500 for Standard, so this could well be the wrong approach.

Rapid 4s: Blind luck is my strategy. I am yet to shoot a 500 for Rapid, so there is probably more to it than blind luck. I am sure it involves 250-500 cartridges a day crushing repetition until you can do it by muscle memory and almost shoot it blindfolded.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I'm with Jteam - slightly less than 72 seconds.
django

Post by django »

depend on the situation

1. if my shoot and my luck on track, i keep shooting fast and no rest until finish 60 short. because if i rest my automatic muscle will gone. Do you ever experience in training when you shoot it seem so easy put hole in 10 ring ? than on next group you can't repeat it. I don't want this situation occur to me. I've practiced shooting 60 shoot with only 16 minutes (not including 10 shooting preparation) and the result is 572 on official scoring. I am not an olympic shooter so 570 is good for me

2. i will shoot slow if i feel unlucky and hard to aim. I took 1 hour 10 minutes and only shoot 558 on state championship. Everything i do result in bad shoot. So this is not my day and i should shoot carefully and slowly.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Never enough time for me. Still in my second year and really in my first year of truly learning. Frankly I find the so called slow fire event not slow at all. I find myself always want more time. Usually AP.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

air : usually about an hour for the 60 competition shots. never heard the 10/5 min command. at some point of my shooting carrier i have done about 40 min for the about 80 shots (20 sight shots and 60 comp) with the izh46. we shoot at classical mechanical and we change card after every comp shot.

free : about 70-75 min for the 60 comp shots (we shot at mechanical targets with feeder so we push the button after ten shot for a brand new target)

standard : full use of the 150sec but i am too fast at the 20/10 sec losing too much points.

rfp : 8sec usually i finish at about 7 sec. at 6sec series i have a tendency to shoot it fast (i have not timed it but i feel it like 4.5sec). at 4 sec i just hope i put a hole on the black of each target
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

ghostrip wrote:...at 4 sec i just hope i put a hole on the black of each target
I presume you mean "...at 4 sec i just hope i put a ROUND hole on the black of each target" ;-)
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

it doesn't have to be round. just issf rule compliant :). beside joking the range closer to athens with turning targets for RFP is some 60 kilometres outside the city. so no training at all. just a few matches over the year. mg2 proved to be a big improvement over the club's gsp.
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

A little off-topic, but just to clarify, dry fire shots can be taken any time during your 105 minutes as long as you announce them, correct? For instance, I shoot 10 shots, sit down, relax a few minutes, maybe score my first target, then after "assuming the position" for my next target, I am allowed to dry fire a few shots before I shoot the real ones. Yes?

Thank you,

Scrench

PS: Should have added for 10m.
Last edited by Scrench on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Scrench wrote:A little off-topic, but just to clarify, dry fire shots can be taken any time during your 105 minutes as long as you announce them, correct? For instance, I shoot 10 shots, sit down, relax a few minutes, maybe score my first target, then after "assuming the position" for my next target, I am allowed to dry fire a few shots before I shoot the real ones. Yes?

Thank you,

Scrench
Announce??? (they will probably take that bullhorn from you)

Air Pistol (Qualification round) you can dry fire as long as there is no discharge of propellant gas - otherwise it would be a competition shot.
50m (Qualification round) you can dry fire as much as you want.