.32 S&WL Loads using Clays, Trail Boss, or Red Dot?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

John C

Post by John C »

Thanks, Oldcaster, for the load info. I'll definitely check those out.

-John
Spaceball

Post by Spaceball »

Does anyone have any starting load data for clays (as30) or universal (ap50n)?
I am using starline cases and a cast 93gr BNWC.
The starline cases look more like a +P as the base is very thick and the tarper starts about 1/2 down.
Went to start at 1.6gr of trailboss and it is almost 100% load density.
I am using a Walther GSP-C

I will try and find some VV N310 but would like to use what I have first.

Thanks

Spaceball
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I don't think Clays will work too well for you. Just on its own, I think it would be fine but metering it is a disaster. I tried to use it with an independent RCBS measure which will go down to less than a 1/2 grain of Clays but it was so unreliable that it was too much problem. It might throw 6 in a row around 1.2 grains and all of a sudden throw one at .7 or so. One good thing is it never seems to throw a charge any great amount larger than what it is set for. Right now powders are difficult to get ahold of so everyone is experimenting to see what they can use.
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

I shot a lot of vv n310 with 60 grain bullet. It is great when you are above 900 ft/sec. When I started to go to lower velocities I started to get large velocity spreads and high standard deviations in my loads. (Vertical stringing)

Trail Boss was consistent if I could weigh each load but I load on a progressive and the powder drops were not consistent enough in my set up.

I've been using Tite Group and it seems to meter and shoot light loads consistently.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I used a Dillon 550 with the extra small powder bar and either VV N-310,W-231 or Bullseye powders. I doubt that you can obtain the required reproducibility in charge weights with either Clays or Red Dot.
Spaceball

Post by Spaceball »

I tried 1.4g of Trailboss behind a .314 swaged HBWC. Nice little group with one just low touching the cloverleaf of 4.

Will get some N310 as Tb will not meter as this low of weight and I have to trickle every charge.