Air Pistol Pellets weights educate the uninformed

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
motorcycle_dan

Air Pistol Pellets weights educate the uninformed

Post by motorcycle_dan »

I host an air pistol league for youth and adult. We have a variety of pistols for use, Tau, Alfa Proj, Daisy 747, FWB, Crosman 2300, Izzy 46M, For the league, I just purchased a sleeve of RWS hobby pellets.
for myself I use the chinese Qiang Yuan in the red box (mainly because I like the red box)
Was going to make a large order for our league when I realized there is a weight difference. 6.9 to 9+ grains.
Is there a rule of thumb for which pellets to use for what? heavy pellets for rifle and light for pistol or ?
Is there a difference for CO2, spring piston, PCP or single pump?
The usage is 10m air pistol targets only. I normally get just the simple wad cutter design.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You will typically find pistol are lighter than rifle, but many pistol shooters use the heavier ones. In your case I'd just get what works ok and works out cheapest. I buy sleeves of geco, hobby, or whatever I can for our club shooters at a cheap price. Shooters that progress buy the better R10's or H&N match.

Rob.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Order the ones from CMP made by Vogel. I use them in my air rifle (MAR177) and my LP10E - they work great!

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/ ... st&cat=PEL
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Vogel's are WAY overpriced for beginning instruction & club use. RWS Basics can be had for a bit over $5 a tin, and they shoot just fine.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

Rover can tell you all about pellets and testing and I can't disagree with any of his conclusions on that topic. The cheap green tin for $5 can and will shoot as good as the $12 stuff. Pilk, maker of vogel doesn't believe in pellet testing for pistols. I have tested several lots of USAS pellets and none of them were very consitent or great. When it comes to an imortant match, I guess you can buy yourself a mental advantage buying the R12 or match finale but the quality of the pellets wont make a difference in the score unless you have a really good tested lot and are shooting in the high 500's. As far as weight, the light ones are marketed at pistol. I have choro'd the heavier pellets and have had higher velocities for some reason. For most peoples purposes, not sue it makes a difference. I would stick to the named brand match/wadcutter pellets though. No way I would put daisy pellets in an expensive match gun. They just seem rough and crude and aren't as smooth and seem like they could cause some damage. A couple extra dollars for some basic match pellets at $5 a tin is worth not taking a chance even when you are talking about a relatively inexpensive club gun.
bam86

Post by bam86 »

For what its worth...

I have tried some different pellets in Daisy 747 and Izzy. The 747 really liked the Daisy Precision Max 7.7 gr pellets they used to sell. Can't find them anymore. Tried some crossman Competition 7.4 gr, Beeman Model 1220 8.0 gr., RWS Basic 7.0 gr, Hobby 7.0 gr, Meisterkugeln 7.0 gr and 8.3 gr. All shot well in both pistols. The Izzy did a little better with the Meisterkugeln 7.0, and Hobby. But the difference was really slight. So now for cost, I just buy the Hobby.

Recently got a FWB Mod 2. Have only shot the Hobby and Beeman H&N Match through it. Both seem to do well. The Beeman seem to be a little better, but I haven't really bench tested them yet.

If you are just buying a large quantity for club use, I really don't think you could go wrong with the RWS Hobby, considering the pistols you mention.