New Free pistol shooter

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gitkrunk

New Free pistol shooter

Post by gitkrunk »

Just picked up my first free pistol. Toz-35m with rink grip I also ordered the rink forend w/ weight.

Do you guys use the weighted forend or the stock one? Also I only have nra 50 yard targets. I know the rings are smaller on the FP targets but is the black bull about the same?

Can anyone recommend some reading material on free pistol as well?
Thanks

I'll post some pics of my first target tomorrow.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Some use the weighted forestock ( I made my own), but mostly not.

The NRA targets are nothing like the FP targets and are about the same size black, but if you're practicing only group size matters.
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

Let me share my notes taken from the NRA rulebooks as I compared International B-19 50 yard targets to 50 yard NRA Conventional Pistol (Bullseye) B-6 targets. A B-19 is a B-17 50 meter target reduced to 50 yards, all comparisons below are the black rings.

B-19 X ring = 0.88"
B-19 10 ring = 1.78" B-6 X ring = 1.695"
B-19 9 ring = 3.58" B-6 10 ring = 3.36"
B-19 8 ring = 5.38" B-6 9 ring = 5.54"
B-19 7 ring = 7.18" B-6 8 ring = 8.00"

Eventually I said f... screw it and just bought some packs of B-19 targets to humiliate myself with at the Bullseye range I train at.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Humiliation is good for the soul, although some endorse it for sexual practices.

It's good to be the humble!
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Welcome to the ranks of those being humiliated by a gun on a consistent lev "Doc"el. Your TOZ will do that to you for your lifetime. Hah!
rmca

Post by rmca »

You're not alone with regards to humiliation with a free pistol. Everyone here has gone thru that at some point... and some stick with it!

Everytime I do a decent score on air pistol, I usually give myself a reward with a nice dose of humbleness provided by my TOZ.

It never fails to deliver... and keeps me from becoming too cocky with the AP.

Welcome to the ranks!
gitkrunk

Post by gitkrunk »

Well finely shot the free pistol first time out and it was a match. I shot 424 towards the end I finely got the sights where I like them. Now on the grip... Should it fit so I can feel the rest and palm pieces pressing on my hand? I originally had to loose but after the match I tightened so it's almost like a well fit glove.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

Why not call Kruger or ISS and buy the correct tgt. They are extremely cheap compared to what local ranges charge for their targets. You can also just buy the centers and not have to replace the entire white section.
gitkrunk

Post by gitkrunk »

I did order some. The target I shot on was the 50 yard reduced 50 meter target.... Those rings are very unforgiving
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

The proper reduced target should be the exact same results and no more or less forgiving.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I could not care less about the "humiliation". Every time I shoot a match I can imagine I am in the Olympics, and usually I always remind myself if it were in 1908 or 1912 I will not be the last place finisher :)

I just love free pistol itself. It is such a simple and beautiful sport, But the best is that the target has never been changed, the main match (not finals) never changed, and the pistols never changed. The rules are pretty much stabblized since 1907. Yes, you should be able to use a 1907 Büchel Stecherspanner to beat a 2014 Morini CM84E.
motorcycle_dan

It aint the bow, it is the Archer that matters.

Post by motorcycle_dan »

Free pistol is extremely difficult for everyone. I have a Hammerli, a Toz, a Drulov, and a Rhoner Sportwaffen. Each one is a precision instrument and each has it's advantages and disadvantages. My last two matches I shot with a 6" marvel conversion single loading each shot. Took 3rd then 2nd respectively. I suspect my big wrench bending fingers were not designed to operate such delicate instruments. A 4lb 1911 trigger, I understand and can work with. Drive the sights into perfection as you squeeze the trigger. I'm not smart enough to shoot fine equipment.
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

rmca wrote:You're not alone with regards to humiliation with a free pistol. Everyone here has gone thru that at some point... and some stick with it!

Everytime I do a decent score on air pistol, I usually give myself a reward with a nice dose of humbleness provided by my TOZ.

It never fails to deliver... and keeps me from becoming too cocky with the AP.

Welcome to the ranks!
Got in a good day of training recently, and found that my Free Pistol scores were usually about ten points below my Air Pistol and Bullseye 22 scores (10 shots on a target), but the Free Pistol was about ten points up from my Hardball (Service Pistol, 45) scores.

It was interesting to compare Air Pistol and Free Pistol spreads at http://www.usashooting.org/library/Comp ... n_2014.pdf

Ah well, if it was easy, we probably wouldn't be interested in doing this.