1807 stock

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

timr4140

1807 stock

Post by timr4140 »

New to the sport. Finally found a LT handed rifle but stock is a little marked up, my son wants to upgrade it. What stock options are there for an 1807?
justadude

Post by justadude »

You don't say explicitly what rifle you have so I am assuming you have a left handed 1807 and wish to upgrade the stock.

The 1807 is based on the Match 54 or "round" action. Any of the Anschutz stocks made for the Match 54 action will work. (in left handed variant of course)

Unfortunately the only thing I can pull up at the moment is a PDF that is too large to attach but from Anschutz you can get a 1907 stock, a 1914 stock or a 1918 aluminum stock.

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... &sprache=1

Check the link and you can see the three basic stocks, pretty much anything starting in 19xx will fit the round action. If you have a 1807 and are just getting started a 1907 stock in walnut a nice upgrade and makes a handsome rifle. (I might be biased there)

There are other aftermarket stocks but shoot for a while before you go down that road.

OK about cost, be prepared to spend north of $1000 for a 1907 stock and if you go for the gusto and get a 1918 stock I think those are shy of $2000. Assuming the 1807 stock you have is sound (no cracks or large pieces missing) you might want to consider just having the one you have refinished. That would be a much more economical approach.

Good Luck
'Dude
timr4140

1807 stock

Post by timr4140 »

Great info! Thankyou for your time. Exactly what I needed to know!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

If the 1807 stock is just tatty, as 'Dude said it's very easy to spruce up. Often all a stock needs is a good beeswax polish and plenty of elbow grease; you'll get a better effect if you degrease it first with alcohol, and buff with an auto-body restoer like T Cut. If the finish is heavily marked, anyone can reapply varnish.

The 1807 isn't the most advanced stock in the world, but it has the basic adjustments. When stock fit becomes the militing factor, the world is your oyster; you can buy new, you can buy new aftermarket, or you can buy second hand. Personally I would not replace an 1807 stock with a 1907 stock; unless you buy brand new (or nearly new) you gain virtually nothing in terms of adjustment for fit over the 1807, and even with a new 1907 the gain is slight for the outlay. I would keep the 1807 stock until your son is ready for a much more complex aluminium, or wood Supermatch stock.