Iron Sight adjustment questions

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

djtjr

Iron Sight adjustment questions

Post by djtjr »

Hey guys, I am coming from a highpower and service rifle background so I am used to a 6 o'clock hold. I would like to keep the same sight picture for bullseye which I am new to, but due to the different size of the bull between 25 and 50 I will obviously have to make sight adjustments between them. This is very easy to do on a rifle and actually easy to do on a pistol with a screwdriver.
My question is on my Kensight that is on my Clark custom hardball gun what are the click values on these sights typically? Is is still 1/4 inch at 100 per click (i.e. 1/4 moa) and I can just do the math and double for 50 or is the adjustment more on a pistol.
What do you guys typically do between yard lines is there a standard adjustment that should serve as a general rule etc? Is it just easier to keep a center mass hold and learn that for bullseye? Sorry for the noobie questions but it seems like this is a great place with a lot of info.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Keep the same 6 O/C hold as in service rifle. I would not think center hold, 6 o/c hold, it will just mess you up.
As to the size of the bull, the 50 yard target, and the 25 yard target look the same in the sight.
I do not know the click values of your gun, but as a rule of thumb, if you use the same ammo for both lines, it should be no more than 4-6 clicks difference.
Some people have no more than 1-2 clicks.
Many shooters, use 2 different loads to get the same zero. Personally I don't believe in this use.
I do use 2 separate loads, but each is for accuracy at 50 yards, and accuracy and reliable feeding and ejection at 25.
With hardball I would just use one load, one bullet.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

My advice, is don't move your sights at all until you have shot several matches and gotten both good groups and an observable difference between the 50 and the 25 yard line with the same ammo.

Most people load their short line rounds down a little bit to save their wrist in hardball. If you do this it can make a radical difference in how much adjustment you need on your sights.

One high master I know tells me he actually moves his iron sights up two clicks going from the long line to the short line.
I shoot a 9mm with a flat fast trajectory. I don't move mine at all except to account for lighting conditions and the position of the sun.

I also prefer a sub six hold when shooting iron sights.

It is easier to focus on the front sight, and not become distracted by the bull bouncing around on top of the post. It draws my eye to the target which is a no no when shooting pistol.