zeroing in gsp .22 pistol.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bigfellow

zeroing in gsp .22 pistol.

Post by bigfellow »

good morning folks.
just took my walther gsp .22 to the range and cannot zero it in. firing at the 10m target and best i can do is fire at the bottom af the target and rounds land top center. one guy suggests that the gsp is geared for 25m to 50 m and that the sights cannot be set much lower than that. is he right.
kindest regards
pat.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

It is my understanding that the GSP has always been intended for ISSF 25 m. matches like standard pistol. The guns are shipped ex factory with 25m. test targets.
One simple way to make the pistol fire lower on the target is to install a longer front sight post. However a question I cannot resist asking is why would anyone want a 25m. pistol zeroed at 10m. ?
bigfellow

Post by bigfellow »

good morning deadeye.
fair question. first time at the range and first time to shoot same. got totally frustrated yesterday and couldnt see the forest for the trees. 10m was the first target up then 15, 25 etc. going back tomorrow and hope to do better. we have a saying over here that a dumb priest never got a parish. even though i was leaving myself open i had to ask the question. now i am wiser. might have to ask you another tomorrow. hope you dont mind.
kindest regards.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Always willing to help another shooter Bigfella. Have fun and enjoy the journey.
David M

Post by David M »

The GSP rear sight should go low enough to allow you to shoot centre aim at 25m. A lot of shooters use this for the rapidfire stage of ISSF.
If the rear sight is full down, then a taller fore sight is needed. Go 1-2mm taller.
ScottEdvin

rear sight

Post by ScottEdvin »

Hire firearm trainer if you are beginner in the field of firearm shooting. It is nice if you try from small target upto 10m or 15m. There are different rules which should be followed and you will learn it by expert trainer.
diopter

Post by diopter »

Is it possible your are not correcting in the right direction?

German sights with "bei" on them mean corrections are "by" where the shot was, not where you want the shot to go.
If shot was high, then correct in H direction on sight.
In direction T is shot was low. (Tief= low)

If on left, correct in L direction.
If on right, correct in R direction.
bigfellow

Post by bigfellow »

morning folks.
took the gsp back to the range and set to fire at the 25m target. put two A4 sized targets up, one above the other and commenced firing to zero in. aiming at dead center of the bottom target the rounds were clearing the top of the top sheet. by lowering the back sights to its lowest position the rounds were landing just below the dead center of the top target. cant adjust the sights lower. it must be something i am doing wrong as i cant see the Walther leaving the factory not able to center at 25 m. so whats up.
kindest regards to all.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Someone may have changed the front sight post a some point in the pistols history. You may need to replace with a taller front sight. This will give you the extra elevation adjustment you now do not have.
rmca

Post by rmca »

deadeyedick wrote:Someone may have changed the front sight post a some point in the pistols history. You may need to replace with a taller front sight. This will give you the extra elevation adjustment you now do not have.
+1
bigfellow

Post by bigfellow »

that could have happened. trouble now is how to find which sized front sight do i try ordering. there are no markings on the sight i have. cant contact the previous owner.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Try putting a small shim under the front sight.
Folded aluminum paper should work just fine.
Then screw it back on. With a little care no one will ever know it's there.

You only need a very small increase (1mm ~ 0.04 inches) to make a big difference at 25 meters.

Hope this helps
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Try putting a small shim under the front sight.
Folded aluminum paper should work just fine.
Then screw it back on. With a little care no one will ever know it's there.

You only need a very small increase (1mm ~ 0.04 inches) to make a big difference at 25 meters.

Hope this helps
+1. Even some very thin Aluminium sheet can be cut with tin snips and the edges made square with a file. Sometimes several can be stacked if needed.