Looking for recommendations for my first Free Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Invictus87

Post by Invictus87 »

How about a Hammerli 120? That's probably about as much of a "beginner free pistol" as anything else out there. They're also usually several hundred dollars less than a used 104/106. I know you mentioned having a Benelli, so this will be a different grip angle, more of a 1911 angle, I believe.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

They will all outshoot the owner. I saw that Pilk was getting in a Pardini K50. If the price is right on that, it will sure work. The 160 for $1,500 is a nice pistol and I think many parts are still available. I have never owned an older Hammerli 100 series, but have heard that they are complicated and parts are not always available. The Hammerli 150 is a simple and reliable pistol in my experience as well, the 152 not so much. FWIW half the shooters in your state are using a TOZ, so there are lots of people that can help you if you go that route. If I was going to buy a new FP I would pop for a Morini, it might cost more now, but should be in service for many years to come. Welcome to Free Pistol.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you want cheap, there is only the TOZ. They don't break many difficult to procure parts, so you'll have little problem keeping it running.

There are fancier guns out there, but a TOZ is good enough for your needs.
I saw one in the Classifieds here for about $500, so the price is right.

Yeah, I'd rather have a Morini than my TOZ, but I'm thrifty (cheap).
lakesidemn

Post by lakesidemn »

I just read all the posts. Excellent information, and quite entertaining to boot. Thanks!
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

conradin wrote: Morini 84E has an edge when it comes to the major championships. Many top class competitors keep using TO3-35 simply because those are either hand me downs when they were juniors, or they have been competing at this level for more than a decade. T03-35 actually has not won a major championship since the 1996 Olympics, while ironically Morini won its first major championship in 1994.
I always thought that prevalence of Morini over TOZ was merely a matter of sponsorship. After all Tulskiy Oruzheiniy Zavod invests exactly how much into the promotion of their product? About $0 per year? On the other hand, the results of modern free pistol events lag behind those of the TOZ era by at least 10 points (back in the '80s if you were shooting below 570 you might as well be staying home). All in all, there is very little evidence that Morini is anywhere as good as its ubiquity suggests.

By the way Russian coach Anatoliy Piddubniy is on record (unfortunately only in Russian, http://www.shooting-ua.com/books/book_45.htm) saying that in his opinion Morini pistols have become an impediment to the free pistol discipline. The guy was a coach of Alexander Melentiev, and a 570-shooter himself.
conradin

Post by conradin »

brent375hh wrote: I have never owned an older Hammerli 100 series, but have heard that they are complicated and parts are not always available.
Rudy Marent more than one year to restore my 100. He has parts or can make them but he is not in good health right now. I hope he gets better soon, he is a true gentleman. Originally I asked him to repair the set trigger, instead he went ahead and completely overhaul the pistol, and even told me that some of the parts were not original. He even sent me xerox copy of the user manual for the MP33/100. Finally he sent me an extra trigger screw because my Buehag was lacking one.
morten

Post by morten »

David M wrote:
ScottSimmonds wrote:
David M wrote:... but Toz parts are getting a lot harder to find.
Larrys Guns in Maine has a big supply of New/Old TOZ35s and plenty of parts. I just bought one from him a month ago - Rink grips too.

Awesome.

S
This may be so, but useless to the rest of the world when you cannot export gun parts out of the USA.
I live in Norway, and I buy gun parts from Larry's without any problems at all, Yes frames and barrels is a no no, but all other spare parts is OK.

I have bought parts for Hammerli and Toz :-)
spektr

First free pistol

Post by spektr »

I got a Rink gripped Hammerli, fits like a glove. I was offered the chance to shoot a couple different Hammerlis and a Pardini by the local guys at my range..... Helped me decide to spring for one of my own....

I guess they key for me was that I could buy one from somebody I could trust. As far as springing for a Morini, yeah I could probably do that, but I'm nowhere near my 106's potential and the difference in price bought me a year or two of ammo.....
gunnery

Post by gunnery »

Is it allowed to shoot free pistol with a .22 revolver?
Issf: 50m Pistol
a) Any caliber 5.6 mm (.22 cal.) rimfire pistol chambered for
Long Rifle cartridges may be used; and
b) Hand covers for 50m Pistols are permitted, providing they do
not cover the wrist.
conradin

Post by conradin »

gunnery wrote:Is it allowed to shoot free pistol with a .22 revolver?
not cover the wrist.
Absolutely yes. Now go find one that works! :)
gunnery

Post by gunnery »

conradin wrote: Absolutely yes. Now go find one that works! :)
I did, sold my Matchguns MG5, and got a Manurhin mr 22.
rmca

Post by rmca »

gunnery wrote:Is it allowed to shoot free pistol with a .22 revolver?
not cover the wrist.
Yes you can but you can only load one cartridge at the time.

Rule 8.12 PISTOL SPECIFICATION TABLE

Other specifications
May only be loaded with one (1) cartridge.
Hand covers will be permitted, providing they do
not cover the wrist.

Hope this helps