Smallbore Offhand Issues

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bbryer33

Smallbore Offhand Issues

Post by Bbryer33 »

Hey everyone I have been experiencing some smallbore issues as far as offhand goes. I have found that I am either on point or not at all and this liability is becoming really frustrating when it comes to matches. Some days I can pick the rifle up and shoot very high 80's and low 90's. Then other days I struggle to even break 80. I just find myself catching the black too much and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks they knew of that could help me slow down and fix my issues. I know what I need to do I just can't get myself to do it. I focus on trigger and NBA and everything else just catching the black and not waiting for the sights to settle seems to be my issue
RobStubbs

Re: Smallbore Offhand Issues

Post by RobStubbs »

Bbryer33 wrote:I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks they knew of that could help me slow down and fix my issues
The answer is really just training. You need to train the right process and repeat it often. Once learnt just remember to trust it and follow your training. It's simple to say, but generally much harder to do.

Rob.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Every so often, I'll pick up the rifle and have an exceptionally good string. And I think to myself, OMG, this is it, focus on determining whatever it is that you are doing right this time, so you can do it next time .... and I'll pick some thing that I think helps, like "OK, I got my weight forward a little more", or "I am being smooth on the trigger".

But then I go back next week, focus on that thing, and shoot my usual scores.

So I don't think there are a series of tips that you can just do that one thing to improve. You have to practice, and with accumulated time, you get better.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

When you are shooting well shoot a lot. When you are shooting badly stop. Don't practice the wrong way of shooting.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I deliberately said training and not practice. Practice is repeating the same things - good and bad. Training is a deliberate process to improve the technique, work on making weaknesses strengths etc.

Rob.
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

As long as you see a lot of movement it's in my opinion meaningless to shoot. Holding exercises and dryfire is the key.

When you get the movement down so it's reasonable then put in dryfire and really watch the sights and follow through. There shouldn't be any other movement when you activate the trigger than your movements in your hold and you must be able to hold the same hold some time after you released the shot, that's the follow through.
Duckslayer

Post by Duckslayer »

Not only may it be a lack of training but it could also be in your position. Remember you want a barrel heavy gun in standing, it will really slow your hold down. I know most smallbore guns are barrel heavy but it is something to consider.

Also when training for offhand try only focusing on one thing. For example, focus on follow through or trigger control. Don't look at score when training, you want to protect your self image. Dry-firing is a great way to train and focus on specifics because it is always positive.
Bbryer33

Post by Bbryer33 »

Okay thanks for the advice guys!
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Duckslayer wrote:Not only may it be a lack of training but it could also be in your position. Remember you want a barrel heavy gun in standing, it will really slow your hold down. I know most smallbore guns are barrel heavy but it is something to consider.

Also when training for offhand try only focusing on one thing. For example, focus on follow through or trigger control. Don't look at score when training, you want to protect your self image. Dry-firing is a great way to train and focus on specifics because it is always positive.
I disagree with the suggestion that you want the rifle to be muzzle heavy. Ideally you want the balance point to be on or just behind the supporting hand. With the balance there you should then be able to comfortably bring the weight of the rifle higher, and in the case of the air rifle at least probably very close to the maximum weight limit. The general increase in mass will aid in giving the rifle some inertia to calm the hold pattern.

Bringing the mass forwards to the muzzle moves both the rifle's and the whole positions center of mass forwards. This then means that you have to apply more back bend/body twist to bring the system CG back within the feet. The theoretical best situation would be for a rifle with the balance point in the optimum position and all the mass concentrated at either end. This is actually probably more achievable with the AR than with the smallbore rifle. The smallbore rifle is always at a disadvantage as most of the mass is from the barrel and is hanging out front. I guess the shortest possible barrel for accuracy with a long bloop tube with mass added only at the ends of the rifle system to maintain the balance back where you ideally need it.

I used to shoot 3P with an 1813 with the balance point 3 or 4 inches in front of the supporting hand. I now shoot a bit of AR with a rifle with the balance point just behind the supporting hand and the hold is much much better.

Alan
Andre

Post by Andre »

You need to find the root of the problem to address it. Are you flinching? Bad trigger control?
Record yourself shooting with your phone or camera and watch it to see what your doing wrong. Or post it here so we can help you better.

Dry firing is key. One of the best female shooters I know has little range time. She dry fires all the time, and it pays off.

Also, do you shoot air rifle? If you do it's great cross training.
3XDistBound

Cheap Fix

Post by 3XDistBound »

With Olympic shooting (no matter what the position), there is an enormous amount of variables that have to be intricately aligned in order to produce the level of results required to be successful.
Everyone has their own set of variables because we are all different.
With time; you will establish your own variables to arrange which will allow your success to begin to emerge. After that, through time and rehearsal, those variables will become subconsciously aligned with a strong mental shooting routine.
The strong mental shooting routine is what we see the Olympic shooters go through just before they execute the process they just mentally envisioned.
What are they seeing inside their heads before they execute the shot? Everything they need to see, feel, and sometimes even smell to produce a 10.9 in that position.
This is why taking the time and remembering every aspect of a perfect shot is crucial for us all.
Let's take an analogy into play to obtain a better understanding of this concept:
If you are a guy, do you remember the ugly girls you see, or the really hot ones?
If you are a girl, do you remember the scuz-balls or the studs?
Now you get the picture. ok...come back to the circle everyone.....FOCUS!
That is another very important variable that is required for Olympic/world class Athletes.
Tiger Woods phrased it as, "Getting out of his own way and letting the training take over".
This takes a lot of training of course, but also a lot of trust in your self conscious.
Trusting your subconscious comes into play mostly in unstable positions (standing) but is still crucial in even the most stable positions (prone), as well.
Let’s take your standing position - first put a thin magic marker on your rifle/pistol somehow so as not to damage the crown of barrel. Next place a flashcard on a stand that can easily be moved to the marker after you are in position by your snap in buddy.
Now when you get into position ready to snap in a shot close your eye until you feel yourself reach your calmest. When you reach that most calm state have your snap in partner (Preferably a person) place the flash card GENTLY against the marker not to disrupt your position and tell you when it set. Now with your eyes still closed execute the trigger manipulation process. After the click open your eyes and verify your sights are still aligned, and then back away from the flash card.
This drill will give you cheap and excellent feedback as to the following:
1. Is your position falling apart as you relax?
2. Is your Natural Point of Aim/Body Alignment really natural?
3. Is your trigger control needing more proper attention?
4. How big is your wobble zone?
5. Is your snap in buddy needing replaced because they were moving the card or never did move it into place while you were squeezing off the dry fire shot....?
Resolutions:
1. Work to obtain the position that doesn’t fall apart on you.
2. You now know how to establish your NPA/BA issue.
3. Concentrate on squeezing the front sight through the rear sight without touching the rear sight using the trigger finger.
5. Adjust/instruct your snap in buddy accordingly.
If you have been working at the position for a long time, you should see only number 4 as your result indicated on the flash card. Now take the wobble zone you drew on the card and compare it to the size of your target. Most of the time, the size of the dot you drew on the flash card is about the size of the X-ring on the 50 meter target.
Now I know that you experts are saying this is not a good indicator because of the angle of error gets magnified by the distance from the target….but does it?
If your sights are perfectly aligned when the shot breaks and remain perfectly aligned after follow through is completed, where is the error to be magnified?
Is a 10.9 at 12 o’clock not equal to that of a 10.9 at 6 o’clock; or 3 or 9 o’clock?
The Moral of the Story; is if your position and execution is enabling you to perform a 10.9 hold then TRUST your position and allow your subconscious to run your training routine it has learned.
What makes it so difficult is the optical illusion of the bull’s-eye down range. The “margin of error magnified” is only the illusion created by distance between your perfect sight alignment and rock-solid position and the target. Your wobble zone hasn’t gotten worse – the flash card (now a target) is just farther away.
The bulls-eye is a reference point that you center your wobble zone (pulse) on. The clearer your sights are when your subconscious breaks the shot allow you to call your shot more accurately. As you begin to trust your new-found subconscious you will call your shots more accurately. As you get more clearer of focus on the front sight the 9’s you were calling now become 10’s, and the 10’s become 10.9’s. It’s freaky but it works.
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

In smallbore standing there isn't many that hold the ten ring for especially long and certainly not the x-ring. A result of 390 points in standing is really good and if you constantly hold the x-ring then the results would be higher.

I haven't seen any SCATT file from world class shooters where the hold is 100% 10.0

In air rifle it's possible.

A good hold is what you strive for but there must be timing in your shot release to score tens.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I see this commonly in junior shooters in training. The good days are when you catch the 10 ring, use the recoil to move the shot to the 10 rung, etc. the bad days are when you're not doing that well.

Focus on breaking the shot in the center of your hold rather than the center of the bull.
Bbryer33

Post by Bbryer33 »

Thanks so much everyone!!