Cost of the IZH-46M

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
poogi

Cost of the IZH-46M

Post by poogi »

I was browsing Pyramyd's site and noticed a price increase on the IZH-46m from when I bought it 6 months ago. I think it went up $40-50.

So it got me curious.

I remember back some 5 to 7 years ago the gun was only $350. So outside the US has the price increased similarly? or would it be equivalent to 350 if say bought from Russia?

Back then I discounted it as being a real match pistol because it was so cheap compared to other exotic match guns. But also back then air guns were just toys and I was not of the mindset of competing.
v76

Post by v76 »

Its price goes up all the time. Within reason: it's pretty much the last match-specced SSP pistol in production (apart from the Daisy 7x7). I think Pyramyd Air has the highest price of any dealer for some reason, as it's cheaper in Canada. Got a new one 2 months ago for cheap but you'll see them in the low 500s$.

Definitely don't discount it: I shoot the same scores with it as with my now long gone Morini 162EI and Steyr LP10. These two replaced an IZH-46M... ended up buying another one. Only need some grip putty and a bit more muscle. That said, most guns are good buys and hold good resale value over time.
Last edited by v76 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLS

Post by DLS »

The devaluation of the US dollar wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?

Naaaaawwwwww!
poogi

Post by poogi »

DLS wrote:The devaluation of the US dollar wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?

Naaaaawwwwww!
Maybe but I haven't noticed other European guns have that kind of price jump. An RWS 350 I bought back from that period seems about the same to me.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

v76 wrote:... it's pretty much the last match-specced SSP pistol in production (apart from the Daisy 7x7)....
The FAS 604 is still in production and sold by Larry Carter. In many ways it's a superior pistol to the Izzy, but it also costs more.

FAS info...
http://tinyurl.com/mz4wwxg
http://tinyurl.com/nhxmj83
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

With all the latest sanctions going into place against Russia, I suspect getting IZH's at any price will become increasingly difficult.
v76

Post by v76 »

slofyr wrote:
v76 wrote:... it's pretty much the last match-specced SSP pistol in production (apart from the Daisy 7x7)....
The FAS 604 is still in production and sold by Larry Carter. In many ways it's a superior pistol to the Izzy, but it also costs more.

FAS info...
http://tinyurl.com/mz4wwxg
http://tinyurl.com/nhxmj83
*one of
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Gwhite, is right. The cost of this pistol, and parts, will most likely go up a a result of the sanctions.

Until rescinded by Congress, or Executive order, the IZH-46M can no longer be imported. The full text of the Executive Order can be read, here:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center ... 40716.aspx
Last edited by m1963 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I think the actual price of the Baikal 46M pistol is still undervalued and will probably continue to climb up to the $700-$800 range.

Did you guys notice that the newest version of the Baikal MP46M pistol has a slightly "bent" cocking handle compared to the older IZH46M that might increase the leverage and ease in cocking the pistol?
Attachments
BAIKAL IZH46M.jpg
BAIKAL MP-46M.JPG
mparker

Post by mparker »

Pretty sure Pyramid Air is the Baikal importer. Look at the bottom of the IZH 46M page on CMP. Pyramid Air is the shipper.

At $630 for the 46M with upgraded trigger it is, arguably, the best deal going for a high quality competition grade air pistol. You won't be disappointed.

The base unit at CMP is $499, another really good buy. I'd call/contact them and ask about their price for the trigger upgrade.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

slofyr wrote:The FAS 604 is still in production and sold by Larry Carter. In many ways it's a superior pistol to the Izzy, but it also costs more.
I understand that the new FAS 6004 is now available.
mparker

Post by mparker »

David Levene wrote:
slofyr wrote:The FAS 604 is still in production and sold by Larry Carter. In many ways it's a superior pistol to the Izzy, but it also costs more.
I understand that the new FAS 6004 is now available.
I looked a few places and am not finding it. Larry's still has the 604. I did not, however, inquire about the 6004.
mparker

Post by mparker »

Since we did manage to work in the FAS 604, here is a comparison I found on another forum. This is not mine and I know nothing about the FAS 604 except by reputation.

"I've owned the FAS 604 for years and recently acquired the Baikal. The FAS is functionally similar to the Weihrauch HW75/Beeman P11 and the Compact (as far as the Gamo is concerned, the similarities end here). The 604 sits low in the hand, much like a free pistol. It has a nice set of sights and (in my view) a crisper trigger than the 46M (although the Baikal appears capable of having the weight of the trigger set lighter). Cocking effort is probably around 16-20 pounds, when the seals are new. I managed to find a front sight extension built by Don Nygord, which extends the sight radius about an inch and a quarter, a nice feature on a pistol that is considerably shorter than the 46M, and therefore less forgiving in terms of a steady hold. I shoot JSB Match Diabolo pellets in the FAS, which chrony around 370 fps. It is no powerhouse, but the fit, finish, and quality of the gun is markedly higher than the 46M.

That said, I like the Baikal, too. It is much longer and feels considerably more like a 10m European match gun than the FAS. Cocking, again, is straightforward, and the trigger is quite good, with a fair number of adjustments. The grip is a pretty basic affair, that you will need to shape on your own, for best fit (note: FAS guns come with their own grips, copies of the Morini match grips, considerably nicer feel out of the box than the Baikal). The 46M shooting the same JSBs chronographs about 100 fps faster, which leaves nice neat holes in your target and gets the pellet out of the barrel sooner, which is a good thing. Decent set of sights, too (with front inserts supplied, when bought new).

Bottom line, both guns have good triggers, are fun to tinker with, and will, in all likelihood, outshoot you any time. The FAS comes from Italy and has a much steeper price tag; it also feels much different in the hand, as I pointed out. The Baikal is a lot of bang for not too much buck, and is solidly built, but suffers from cruder fit and finish, which is reflected in its price; it simply does not possess the refined characteristics of the FAS. Which one is right for you? My guess is either would please you to no end. Hope this helps."
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

I've just purchased an IZH with the trigger upgrade, whatever that means over the standard model, for $590. Free shipping. It's been quite awhile since I've priced these but I sure don't recall them being this pricey.

I found it at a certain Warehouse that sells Airguns. Which I will never do business with again but that's off topic. I'm just hoping now it finally arrives as they promised this time. And in one piece.

I'm thinking maybe I should have looked closer at the FAS, especially this new model coming. How are the FAS charged? A CO2 cylinder ala' Crosman, a cocking lever, or what? Forgive my ignorance on this one. I'm new here and from a small town. Lol. :) I really do not want to mess with tanks and bicycle pumps. I like just cocking it and go. I just shoot recreational.

**Edited to add that my IZH arrived today with the trigger upgrade installed as mentioned in the accompanying paperword. It's more a straight blade type of affair. I haven't tried to adjust it but I'll have to as I can't reach it real well with my trigger finger. I know it sure it light and crisp. Just a touch and it fires. Kinda nice. The other thing is that it's the model with the bent cocking arm as posted above. Assume it helps with leverage but I'm not sure. Seems the grips aren't as huge as they used to be either. And I have medium hands. The fit & finish seems to improved as compared to models I seen a few years back too. That's a good thing. Should be fun. I did order a set of Rink grips as I wanted to keep the originals stock. Should mention as well where your fingers wrap around the grip, the edge is fairly sharp. Would need to be rounded off for sure. Not comfortable as is. I'm trying to find info as to what this trigger upgrade consists of exactly. Thanks!
Last edited by Joe58 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

The 604 is an over-lever single stroke pneumatic, the upper frame with barrel lifting from the rear and pulling forward in an arc to fill the cylinder, then being pressed back into place to compress the air with the piston. No CO2 needed.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

I have the Izzy and 604 and enjoy them both. For me, the IZH is a heavy beast with too much of the weight forward. It is a lot more difficult to hold a steady sight picture with than the 604. The FAS604 is about the same size as the FAS602 .22lr. Both share the same feel.

From what I can determine, the new 6004 is likely a clone of the 604. The model number change may just be a marketing upgrade.

Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

I did a little research on the internet today and it seems that since the company making the FAS 604 has sold, it appears the 6004 is the same gun, just rebranded. Dunno if that is 100% correct. Hopefully quality will remain high.
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

How is the accuracy of the FAS vs. the Izzy for 10 meter competition? I've read it is a nice target shooter but not up to 10 meter competition. The Izzy is hard to beat for the $$, but very nose heavy.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

I looked around for FAS, trying to find the manufacturers site. Seems FAS do not exist any longer?!

The New FAS air pistol is made by Chiappa. And there is nothing wrong with that. Chiappa is a quality gun maker best known to Cowboy Action shooters, and other center fire shooters..

http://chiappafirearms.com/product/2682
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

45ACP223 wrote:How is the accuracy of the FAS vs. the Izzy for 10 meter competition? I've read it is a nice target shooter but not up to 10 meter competition. The Izzy is hard to beat for the $$, but very nose heavy.

It was probably here at TT where I read a post from someone saying the FAS was not up to 10m competition. IIRC, in that comment there was a bias in favor of PCP pistols and discontent with SSP's. Like the Izzy, the FAS requires a physical motion to charge it. If you're a top level shooter, that might me a negative. For mere mortals, that won't affect our group size enough to matter.

Your question is about accuracy. Both the FAS and IZH have good barrels and sights, and fine triggers. Muzzle velocity is a bit higher with the IZH, but proper 'follow through' when shooting the FAS makes that a non-issue. The Izzy has a sight radius advantage but as you noted it's a heavy pistol, and that weight is out front making it a shaky hold and offsetting the radius feature. The grip angle of the IZH adds to the unsteadiness, too, but that can be improved some with a Rink. As I see it, the IZH is the best bang for the buck for someone wanting to taste the 10m flavor without sacrificing lunch money. From my experience, though, you'll have a much more enjoyable time and improve faster with the FAS. The 604 handles with the steadiness of a sport sedan and the Izzy like a dump truck. The typical reaction when an IZH shooter puts down the beast and tries a 604 for the first time is an "aha" moment of enlightenment. The lighter muzzle mass of the FAS seems to generate the most comment when comparing the two pistols. I'm not sure what is currently available, but when I bought my 604 there were optional weights that fit within the barrel shroud up near the hinge. Hopefully, Chiappa will offer them when the 6004 becomes available.