An Amazing picture, no matter your politcal viewpoint.....

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

An Amazing picture, no matter your politcal viewpoint.....

Post by pilkguns »

I am truly amazed by this. Our President with the new NCAA National Champions in the sport of Rifle. Yes RIFLE.

On a personal note, I was there last Saturday in Murray, Kentucky to watch this championship, and Vogel pellets made here in Monteagle, TN are used by several of the WVU athletes.

Last edited by pilkguns on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

And even though I know I am treading on thin ice to allow comments, I will but any disrespectful comments about the POTUS will be deleted immediately.

Moderators. you have your marching orders......
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I too saw that picture and thought it it amazing. A great shooting PR shot ! And coached by our own GB Olympian Jon Hammond, top left.

Rob.
corning

Post by corning »

Absolutely amazing!
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

I think that is last year's. Nicco and Petra were not on the WVU's team this year.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

westerngriz wrote:I think that is last year's. Nicco and Petra were not on the WVU's team this year.
No, in fact it is this year's from about a week before the 2014 NCAAs.
It is a celebration of the 2013 team, but the visit was 3/10/2014.
Nicco & Petra came back for the visit

http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?story=25343&cat=rifle

http://www.wvusports.com/photos.cfm?galleryID=645

Very cool indeed!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Thats pretty cool and I'm sure very exciting for the athletes.

I'm always amazed at how quickly Presidents age, that is one though job that seems to take a toll on everyone who holds it.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Cool image booster for the sport!

I do have a problem with "the POTUS" however. Not with the President, rather with the escalating mis-spelling of acronyms. It's not POTUS, it's PotUS, isn't it? The country is called the United States of America, not The United States Of America. The convention is to use lower case for the wee little words in between the big important words is it not? Otherwise you'd have a vice president in charge of marketing becoming VPICOM instead of VPM. Nitpicking, I know... but when I read (or much worse, hear) POTUS my impulse is to feel annoyed and embarrassed. Is the VP now the VPOTUS? Is the first lady now TFLOTUS?
FredB

acronym police

Post by FredB »

The VP is the VOTUS, the First Lady is the FLOTUS, and someone excessively worried about acronym spelling is a DOOFUS.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I believe that's spelled 'Dufus' sir. Maybe one of those US English versus Canadian English things...
FredB

new learning

Post by FredB »

As they say, learn something new every day. A quick search shows "doofus" as the more common spelling, but "dufus" as a (presumably Northern) variant. Didn't know that. But I worry that even doing the search makes us into duellin' doofi.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Nicco is there. This picture has been around for a few days already. Thumbs up for the POTUS for a clear sign of endorsement of the sport of sports shooting.
(No I did not vote for him, but he is still our POTUS.)
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I am .......

the MOTTUS

Moderator of Target Talking United Shooters
joel

Post by joel »

goo goo g'joob
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Ha, DOOFUS is German kitchen English.

By the way, i like the picture too!

We would say "He is our new Schutzenbruder".

But aren't there also any pictures out which show 'him' shooting a shotgun?

Regards from Germany

Frank
DLS

Post by DLS »

While this is a great memento for the athletes I can't get too worked up about this photo pro or con.

All Modern US Presidents (at least back to Eisenhower perhaps farther back) give these type of photo ops for pretty much every organized group that tours the whitehouse, from spelling bee winners to ladies garden clubs. There is a procedure to get on the list, and of course there are limited number of "slots" but it's pretty well organized and they actually get dozens of groups through every day, and it's all part of the presidents schedule.

So while it would be nice to think this somehow endorses shooting, it does not. Nor more than the photo with the garden club endorses gardening. I have a picture of me with President Nixon, our group were Boy Scouts who's fathers were in the Marine Corps and it was part of a Washington DC tour. We were with the President all of 90 seconds ... and this jives with others I've known who have been through the same type of thing.

So it's cool for the athletes, it makes good PR, but there is really nothing else that can be discerned from this type of event.
RossM

Post by RossM »

I'm sure it will be accepted as better than this one.......
Attachments
SadRummy.jpg
SadRummy.jpg (6.55 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

DLS wrote:While this is a great memento for the athletes I can't get too worked up about this photo pro or con.
<snip>
So while it would be nice to think this somehow endorses shooting, it does not.
So it's cool for the athletes, it makes good PR, but there is really nothing else that can be discerned from this type of event.
With respect, I think you're missing the point. It is worth it's weight in gold irrespective of whether the president likes and supports shooting. PR is just that, it's a positive image portraying a successful shooting team with the president of your country.

Rob.
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Fantastic!!!
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

DLS wrote:
So while it would be nice to think this somehow endorses shooting, it does not. Nor more than the photo with the garden club endorses gardening. I have a picture of me with President Nixon, our group were Boy Scouts who's fathers were in the Marine Corps and it was part of a Washington DC tour. We were with the President all of 90 seconds ... and this jives with others I've known who have been through the same type of thing.

Thank you, everyone needs to quit falling all over themselves about this. It was a NCAA Champion recognition event for all sports, Rifle was not singled out except for the awkward joke at the beginning of the address about Secret Service not knowing whether or not the rifle team had been cleared. Point in case this was a PR event not a milestone in history. The President has no idea of the sport promptly displayed by his bad joke. This IS NOT an endorsement by the President of shooting sports.

Congrats to WVU, congrats to them again this year. They deserve all the lime light they can get. This photo should be about their accomplishments and how proud we are if them as a community.