Dry Fire Works

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brian Lafferty

Dry Fire Works

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Been doing it now for three weeks close to a blank wall with just a small dot. Been doing 20 min every other day. Just scored a 40 shot postal match personal best of 361. No mantra used. Nice feeling seeing an exercise pay off.
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

so good when effort put in gives better result, simmilar to you I've just shot a PB today 40 shot best of 353 using my Pardini K12. What I have been doing is sight picture, dry fireing and now using deadicated shooting lens and blinder. I have a long way to go but I'm hooked on improving.

Best Cheers
George
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

thirdwheel wrote:so good when effort put in gives better result, simmilar to you I've just shot a PB today 40 shot best of 353 using my Pardini K12. What I have been doing is sight picture, dry fireing and now using deadicated shooting lens and blinder. I have a long way to go but I'm hooked on improving.

Best Cheers
George
Good show for you! My next thing will likely be a dedicated shooting lens and blinder--maybe not the blinder. Thoughts??
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

The dedicated lens has made a bid difference, my shooting mentor recommended a focal length of 1.3m. The shooting frame comes with a flip up blinder so I tried it with and without, for me using the blinder is good but try it out for yourself to see if it works. Try a bit of paper over the non used eye - it's good to supply light to that eye as it keeps both iris from opening wide and loosing field depth.
Before going for the lens I used my CNC laser to make different sized iris to go in the lens holder out of high quality card. Took up the sizes in 0.5mm increments. I found 2.5mm sharpened up the front sight and the target and thought it good, but my mentor advised if this happens you do not totally focus in on the front sight as your vision gets pulled to the target too. so I stopped using it and went for a lens. I've seen a big improvement in scores even though the target area is a fuzzy blob.
Been dry firing until my arm hurt - the K12 is just over a kg. and I'm a weedy person so I guess it is building up the muscles too. Before I release I have found this practice has reduced the shakes and wobbles somewhat. It really magnified how poor my trigger pulling is and I'm now working on it.
My mentor - Robin - thanks for all of the advice.

Keep up the improvement

George
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

thirdwheel wrote:The dedicated lens has made a bid difference, my shooting mentor recommended a focal length of 1.3m. The shooting frame comes with a flip up blinder so I tried it with and without, for me using the blinder is good but try it out for yourself to see if it works. Try a bit of paper over the non used eye - it's good to supply light to that eye as it keeps both iris from opening wide and loosing field depth.
Before going for the lens I used my CNC laser to make different sized iris to go in the lens holder out of high quality card. Took up the sizes in 0.5mm increments. I found 2.5mm sharpened up the front sight and the target and thought it good, but my mentor advised if this happens you do not totally focus in on the front sight as your vision gets pulled to the target too. so I stopped using it and went for a lens. I've seen a big improvement in scores even though the target area is a fuzzy blob.
Been dry firing until my arm hurt - the K12 is just over a kg. and I'm a weedy person so I guess it is building up the muscles too. Before I release I have found this practice has reduced the shakes and wobbles somewhat. It really magnified how poor my trigger pulling is and I'm now working on it.
My mentor - Robin - thanks for all of the advice.

Keep up the improvement

George
I have always found that I can shoot without closing or blocking my non-sighting eye, but i will try the blinder. What brand of glasses did you purchase? Varga seems popular and priced well, but there are some other options, obviously.

Ive been exercising with five and now eight pound hand weights. This has helped my strength and steadied my hold considerable. I also squeeze a sponge rubber ball while watching tv.

May we all improve to perfect scores. lol Not me in this lifetime though.

Brian
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

I cannot shoot with vision in my non used eye, so good that you can do this. My frames are as you mentioned "Varga" and yes bought because were the best value.
Now you have given me something else to do in my "spare" time and with weights no less, thought I had seen the last of weight training!!!!!!!

Best cheers
George
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

thirdwheel wrote:I cannot shoot with vision in my non used eye, so good that you can do this. My frames are as you mentioned "Varga" and yes bought because were the best value.
Now you have given me something else to do in my "spare" time and with weights no less, thought I had seen the last of weight training!!!!!!!

Best cheers
George
Think of them as just little free weights. lol
Regards,
Brian
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

Even weights of 2-4 lbs in high reps will make a huge difference. Even heard of college shooters standing in the back of the class holding the textbook straight out. It all helps.

Not sure if she is saying she is using a dedicated shooting frame and lens or and adjustable iris. Mentioning the homemade iris is what confuses me I guess. And yes, if you use an iris and adjust where the front sight and target are clear, you wont be looking at the front sight. Target should always be a blob. In the past I used a higher power lens so the target was more of a blob.

Not sure how a pistol shooter can keep both eyes open and concentrate on the front sight but I recently seen that the Chinese Sport Pistol shooters shoot with both eyes open and are the best in the world.

Homemade blinders out of milk jugs work good. Can be held in place by a sweatband or even a piece of paper under a headband. I have found that using different colors of paper makes a difference. I guess that is why they also sell different colored ones (dark and light). If you were glasses, scotch tape works great (the cloudy not the clear).

Dryfiring will get you further than anything else you can do in my opinion. I have even learned to like it as much as live fire. Even though I have an indoor range with decimal scoring and all the stuff, I have gone between matches without firing a live shot and only dryfiring and shot personal bests.
Also know of an AMU shooter that was deployed to the desert and did nothing but dryfire train. He came back from the desert and went to a world cup and won the match with next to no other shooting or training than the dry firing he did while deployed.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

USMC0802 wrote:Also know of an AMU shooter that was deployed to the desert and did nothing but dryfire train. He came back from the desert and went to a world cup and won the match with next to no other shooting or training than the dry firing he did while deployed.
It's amazing what concentrated training can do to instill inherit muscle memory and technique. I trained every day for three years in the early 90s, but haven't shot competitively since 1995.

However, I periodically pick up the pistol to show friends how it's done. Invariably, I will shoot a ten on the first shot, on every occasion. It seems like never forgetting how to ride a bicycle.

Shooting a ten on the second shot is another issue, though, LOL.
Idol-111

Post by Idol-111 »

useful app (http://www.sporttargetshooting.com) for dry fire training, especially for all kind of rapid sessions.
Richathome

Dry Fire Practice

Post by Richathome »

I've been using dry fire practice lately to concentrate on reducing my hold time which has been getting antagonly long looking for the perfect shot with my air pistol. I raise come down into the black start counting one thousand 1 to one thousand 8 and if the shot does not break I lower the gun reset and start again. Doing this the last 3 weeks most of the shots break early and the shots on target are definately improving. I guess you just have to trust the sub-conscious. Any more ways to train to reduce hold time and abort bad shots?