Loosing alignment with the diopter

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bruno Almeida

Loosing alignment with the diopter

Post by Bruno Almeida »

Friends,

During the beginning of practice or competitions, after the 35th shot more or less, in some shots i see a "shadow" coming from the left side of the diopter or from the top, i am left handded.

My guess is that my head is pending to the left or sinking during the aiming, tryed to rise the cheeckpiece and the sights but the problem continues.

I have a long neck :-) and a Feinwerkbau 700 Alu.

Anybody had this problem ?

Thank you, Bruno Almeida.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'd suggest you post up a photo of you in position. It's a not uncommon problem but it could be caused by a few different things - a picture will most likely help or at least rule out one or two causes.

Rob.
Bruno Almeida

Post by Bruno Almeida »

Sorry for the delay,

Here are some pictures:

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Umm - about rule 6.7.8.4
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Two thoughts / observations. Firstly your head is not straight I.e. it leans sideways, try getting your head more upright. Secondly I'm wondering if the blind on the rear sight isn't helping you. Have you tried shooting without it ? Only other suggestion is to really make sure you get your NPA spot on and make sure your head is absolutely centred on every shot.

Rob.
Bruno Almeida

Post by Bruno Almeida »

Thank you RobStubbs,

The centering of the haed is the problem, in the beggining i can keep centered, but after some shots, during the aiming, the head sims to be pulled to the left or upwards, maybe because my neck muscules shorten as long as i am getting tired, i dont actualy feel tired or pain but something changes.

My cheeckpiece doesnt "lock" my head when i touch it with my cheeck, when the contact is made for aiming i can move my head slightly to the left or upwards, should the cheeckpiece lock the head during the contact or this contact is only for reference and in that case tha alignment is made/kept by the neck muscules ?

Ill try to rise the sights.

Another question, is the panel for my right elbow ilegal ? My elbow crosses the panel lateraly.

Whitout the right blinder i cant shoot, the image gets confused, my direcor eye is the right.

Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Bruno,

yes the cheekpeice should support your head. It should guide your eye sqaure behind the rearsight aperture. If there is room between your cheek and the cheekpiece when you aim, the cheekpiece is not positioned correctly.

If your eye becomes too high/too far left after a number of shots, could it be the rifle settling lower instead?
Bruno Almeida

Post by Bruno Almeida »

Rob,

Tonight ill set the cheeckpiece more to the right and rise the sights and give you my feedback.

What about the panel under my right elbow, is it of the rule ?

Reading the rule book i anderstud that cant be seams under or upwards the elbow, but in my case the seam is in the lateral and under too :-)

peashooter

Post by peashooter »

Two thoughts / observations. Firstly your head is not straight I.e. it leans sideways, try getting your head more upright. Secondly I'm wondering if the blind on the rear sight isn't helping you. Have you tried shooting without it ? Only other suggestion is to really make sure you get your NPA spot on and make sure your head is absolutely centred on every shot.

Rob.

Rob, when you say his head is not straight do you mean his ears are not level? Should they be?