Embarrased and Clueless

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
william

Post by william »

Rover, I seldom agree with you, but in this case...

- thanks for posting what I and (I suspect) hundreds of others believe.
rmca

Post by rmca »

conradin wrote:So instead of paying $1250 for it, I now go for a $750 Hammerli Walther Olympia.
Do you really think it's a good idea to get an almost 80 year old pistol as your first semi-automatic pistol!? Really!?
Think again! Specially if you have no or little gunsmithing skills.

I would advise something more currently available (even if second hand) like a Ruger mkII or mkIII or even the 22/45. A 1911 style .22 is also a good choice. Something for which parts are still available, since you want to take it apart to find out know how it works.
An old walther GSP (from the 70's or 80's) is also a good first gun... if you want something more target oriented. And they usually don't cost that much money.

If you want something new or if you can find a used one, you can't go wrong with a Pardini SP. That was my first semi automatic (and still is) and I highly recommend it.

Also, anyone with a little knowledge of firearms can quickly help you with anyone of those models. Plus the are plenty of videos online on how to strip, dismantle, repair an put them back together.

Hope this helps
conradin

Post by conradin »

rmca wrote:
An old walther GSP (from the 70's or 80's) is also a good first gun... if you want something more target oriented. And they usually don't cost that much money.

If you want something new or if you can find a used one, you can't go wrong with a Pardini SP. That was my first semi automatic (and still is) and I highly recommend it.

Also, anyone with a little knowledge of firearms can quickly help you with anyone of those models. Plus the are plenty of videos online on how to strip, dismantle, repair an put them back together.

Hope this helps
Actually you read my mind. The Pardini (hello Emil) will be my next purchase if I find myself good at semi-automatic pistol. The only exception is if I can find a COMPLETE set of a Margolin.

This Olympia is not an 80 years old pistol, but rather around 50 some years old, no different than a lot of Ruger MkI. It was made by Hammerli, not Walther, and Hammerli was still making them in 1958...

I am still digesting and memorizing what Gerard has given me about the blueprint of the Olympia.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

conradin wrote:...I am still digesting and memorizing what Gerard has given me about the blueprint of the Olympia.
might be better to go up a few lines in that great resource and pick up the H208 information rather than the Olympia stuff.
DLS

Post by DLS »

+1 on a Ruger for a first time pistol.

It will be a very long time before you can outshoot it. It's simple to care for, and parts are everywhere. Want different grips ... many to choose from and they won't require you to mortgage your house. Want to scope it or put on red dot? Dozens of options are available. And the price is great ... all of these are current production elements with a lively and thriving aftermarket / used market.

Resale on these pistols is great too, you are appealing to a much broader market than the more esoteric European models. so getting a good price and getting it quickly are much easier. When you are ready to move up to a higher end gun, selling your decades old pistol may be problematic.

I'd go with a MkII, working the trigger is a bit easier without the magazine safety to deal with, but a MkIII can be made its equal, just a bit more to deal with.

Oh by the way, if you want to do a trigger job on these there are at least three well respected manufactures of truly drop in parts that really work. Yes the serious shooter will probably want to dress up even these drop in kits, but it's really not necessary until you are shooting Master class scores.

Just my take on the subject.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Conradin,

I'm not sure why you wanted a Margolin in the first place (and still do) since you clearly don't know what you want to shoot.
conradin

Post by conradin »

BobGee wrote:Conradin,

I'm not sure why you wanted a Margolin in the first place (and still do) since you clearly don't know what you want to shoot.
My Hammerli 203 is on its way. I may still want to get a Margolin, or if I am good at shooting (chances are slim) then go for a modern pistol like Pardini.

I always have a backup. Hence I have two FP, two AP, etc.