FWB300S

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Red-feather

FWB300S

Post by Red-feather »

After researching 100's of posts on velocity and performance shooting 25 yd benchrest with this model, I found one in my price range....
Bought it from an expert in olympic air guns and it was resealed before purchase...

Most shooters listed velocities of 630-650 fps with 8.4 grn JSB pellets and abot 650-670 fps with lighter 7.33 AA falcons..

I was expecting similiar performance to help combat wind influences...

It is running at 540 with 8.2 Vogels as tested from the rebuilder.....

Why is it such a turtle...? Do you think the original springs could be tired...??
As both breech/ piston buffer are new...spring has not been replaced...

Just wondering why there would be such a difference in velocity to those I have researched.....
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Are you who I was talking to last night?

AS I told you, 540s with 8.2s is good. I would not consider rebuilding a 300 unless it was under 450.

630-650s with 8.4s? BS
maybe if you are running a dieseling lube that will destroy the seals in short order.

If you are not happy with the gun and you just bought if from us, send it back.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I just inherited one from my dad that probably has not over 2K through it, but not rebuilt. He only used it for sparrows, but never left it cocked. It also has never been lubed to my knowledge. It is running 580s with H&N 7.56.
mark e

Post by mark e »

maybe its me but this does not sound like a very good match for outdoor benchrest, even if you could get 670FPS
I shoot outdoor benchrest and even at 830 FPS with 10.3 JSBs wind is a big issue
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I've shot air rifle benchrest to WRABF rules, in Hunter (LV) class it has a power limit of 12 fpe. In .177 that equates to 800 fps with an 8.4 gr JSB. The considered optimum over here is 777 fps, which keeps you nice and legal, as 12 fpe is also our legal limit for air rifles without a firearms certificate. Personally I shoot an Air Arms S400 in BR and have even picked up a 3rd place medal in Hunter class at a UK National Champs.

When it comes to the FWB 300S or SU then to get the velocity up around or above 600 fps requires re-springing with a more powerful spring. There were some shooters who used to do this over here for use in FT matches in the early days, they were actually quite competitive in the non-recoiling class. Air Arms also did a version of the TX200 running on a similar sled design. What killed them off was the advent of the PCP designs, which were so much cheaper to design and build. I believe that the AA TX200SR was so expensive to make that Air Arms never actually made a profit from it, when you include the development costs. With the FWB 300 I think even with an uprated spring you are looking at around 600 fps tops.

Alan
conradin

Re: FWB300S

Post by conradin »

Red-feather wrote:
Most shooters listed velocities of 630-650 fps with 8.4 grn JSB pellets and abot 650-670 fps with lighter 7.33 AA falcons..

I was expecting similiar performance to help combat wind influences...

It is running at 540 with 8.2 Vogels as tested from the rebuilder.....

Why is it such a turtle...? Do you think the original springs could be tired...??
As both breech/ piston buffer are new...spring has not been replaced...

Just wondering why there would be such a difference in velocity to those I have researched.....
An FWB300 at 540? That's already lightning speed. I am surprised you can get 540 out of it. Perhaps you need to look for something else if you need speed, and the old FWB300 is not one of them.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

What is the head size of the pellets you are using? If they are 4.52mm you might gain a few fps going to a 4.5mm but it won't be much and won't really change anything with regards to wind drift. Plus you will need to make sure they shoot as well as other head sizes.

I shoot a Anschutz 8002 S2 at 570 fps using JSB 8.4gr pellets out to 45 yards for silhouette. You will learn to read the wind a lot better shooting this slow and with a lite pellet. 25 yards is not that far and the wind doesn't have near the same affect as it does at 45 yards.

I would say use it for now and learn to read the wind and you should be okay. Even at 20 yards the distance of the chicken in silhouette with a nice wind the hold off isn't that much and usually never outside the chickens body which is about the size of your thumbnail. Now at the Rams at 45 yards in a nice wind you can have substantial drift to the point where you actually hold off the animal by 1/2 it's body length or more. On real windy days I have had to hold on the next animal over to the right or where the last one was on the left and you can actually watch the pellet move laterally into the target.

You must learn to read the wind well and with benchrest you have plenty of time to wait on a shooting condition that you like to make the shot.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

My Anschutz 9003 shoots 540 from the factory.
Red-feather

Post by Red-feather »

Confused with the diss belief...
I share a chronograph with two shooting friends, they both own later model FWB300S rifles. One rebuilt by DS ( new oem double springs/spacer, ring, buffer, breach seal)....it shoots 630-640 fps/jsb 8.44...
The other rebuilt by himself ( original oem springs/spacer, buffer,ring, breech seal)...its doing about the same velocity....with 8.4grn jsb's.....
Lets see.... for the benefit of doubt...."630 minus "540" equals 90 fps....
Maybe shooting paper at 10M slow is fine. But when you're in there putting in a new set of seals in a gun thats 30 yrs old ....PUT SOME NEW SPRINGS IN IT and probaby a new ring!!! THEN ITS REBUILT FOR ANOTHER 30.....!!! The parts are old, why wait till they go bad...
So what if it hadnt dropped to 450 yet for springs....then Id consider it half/assed rebuilt...just because its already stripped down and you're right there to do it....

I will keep this rifle, shoot it, and if Im not happy ....will have it rebuilt by someone else...
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Back when Robert Beeman sold these in the 80's they had an advertised velocity of 640fps. If you remembered those catalogs, most every velocity was quoted with Beeman Laser pellets. They were less than 7 grains back then.
Beeman's advertised velocity was almost always skeptically high for all that he sold. Real world velocity was more like 570 with 8 grain pellets even when factory new.