Matchguns MG2

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
barfoed

Post by barfoed »

Lapua is expensive but the problem is the availability. Magtech og S&B is not my prefered choice but it is what I can get.

The gun is cleaned often. I have a good handel on the problem spots on this gun after 2370 shots and 61 failures. Still manage the occasional accidental cartridges release from the magazine on occasion trough.

My previous 32s was a Walther GSP and Pardini HP new. Both had som issues in the beginning. Had magazin problems on my first Pardini SP new while the later models where fine. Had an walther SSP which worked fine for me while the my buddy's sucked.

I've been active in the sport for over a decade. These are fine tuned racing machines. I expect issues and I believe my MG 4 will be fine. The MG 2 is another issue. It's been to service for 3 months but they can't get it right.

The Matchguns still have issues. More than one should expect in my opinion. Could be I was unlucky but so were a lot of other owners of Matchguns in this here. They stopped importing them for now due to all the problems.

I think it is a fantastic gun. When it works. I would gladly have buought a second MG2 if the issues were resolved.

I did a lot of research on this gun before I decided on the Matchguns. I knew there were issues in the past but I thought they were resolved. Seesms the were not.

Still It is an amazing gun and if you want one make make sure that the dealer is prepared for the problems. I would not import this on my own.
targetshooter

Post by targetshooter »

Well, I shot a little bit over 2000 rounds so far and it works great. Zero malfunctions. Ammo used CCI, Remington Target , RWS Pistol Match and RWS Target Pistol.
BPBrinson

Post by BPBrinson »

My MG2 (sn 22xx) was purchased new and never "updated", has been on loan to a US National Junior team member for over 3 years. A wild a$$ guess of shots fired (5K+ for me prior to loan) is well over 30,000. I had a few problems the 1st 200 rounds, but only a hand full of malfunctions in total after break in. Almost all malfunctions have been attributed to ammo or gumming up of the chamber. Ammo used, before loan and leading up to making the Team was Eley Sport or the Aguila equivalent. After she made Team, she was supplied with Eley OSP. It has been a fantastic pistol!!!

Brooks
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I think the biggest headache in the USA is that Match Guns doesn't have a good distribution/repair net in this country. Shipping a gun to Match Guns for repair is prohibitive.
daotoys1

Post by daotoys1 »

I have owned a number of 22 LR FP(s). I current own a Hammerli FP 10 which I absolutely love. I understand that the Hammerli FP 10 was designed by the founder/ owner of the Match Guns Italy.

I love the uniqueness of his new guns. Id buy one in a minute except for all of the problems I keep hearing about them.

I admire the fact that Match Guns Italy are taking their own road with regards to the R&D of their pistols. It this type of commitment that improves the art and the guns used now and into the future of the discipline.

Question; it seems that almost all of the problems I hear about these guns is related to the ammo used. Is the root cause of these problems really just the lack of finding the best ammo for the gun to be able to use and function with out having issues ?

If this is the problem then if one finds the best ammo does the gun then act without flaws ????

Thanks for sharing the experiences and the opinions

DAO
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

Just to chime in again...
I am still happy with my MG2 and agree with BPBrinson that gumming and residue may be the problem for some.
Mine was second hand and of a reasonably old age when i bought it so first job was a thorough clean.
Not possible to do a full break down without Knocking out lots of pivot pins (not for beginners) but some clever poking of swabs and cleaning patches does a pretty good job. It looked pretty dirty inside with sticky residue but not too bad. Probably been kept well.
There are lots of finely engineered bits sitting in narrow slots and lots of levers and funny over-centre pivoting thingys... There is no way this will work properly if some of that clogs up.
Subsequently I have never had a failure, apart from the occassional ID10t fault (idiot) and have actively tried a variety of ammo from cheapest to best.

Anyway, I kept up fairly regular minor cleaning between shoots, cleaning what I could see. After my first open comp weekend recently, I decided to do the thorough strip down clean again. Wow! So much crud and some really, really sticky gummy areas. From now on i will not leave it so long (1000 rnds ) but also think a finer gun oil - and less of it- would be advisable.
I love my MG2 STD and will buy the RF version one day... When i can afford it.
They can be as reliable as any top level pistol and still make regular appearances at world comp finals and Olympics. The only guy to qualify and shoot in London Olympics from my country did so with the MG2RF. And a lot of Morinis and Pardinis, Walthers and FWBs stayed home to watch.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

I had an MG2 with serialnumber 10xxx. It was never fuzzy about particular ammunition, it just did not work with anything.

A friend of mine has a serialnumber 14xxx that will cycle whith anything, but for some reasons his hammersprings are to week nowadays. Seems to be weaker from factory lately.

I love this pistols, but i will probably never get another.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Early ones were tricky, either they worked or they didn't. But I've seen two brand new MG2RF now this summer (not mine), one electronic, one mechanical, that worked right out of the box with every ammo we could find...
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

Does anyone of the MG2 shooters own or ever shoot a Pardini SP?
I don't have any chance to shoot the MG2, only tryed the AW93, GSP und Pardini SP and the Pardini is at the moment the best choice..

Can anyone compare the Pardini with the Matchguns?
northpaw

none perfect?

Post by northpaw »

Tycho wrote:Early ones were tricky, either they worked or they didn't. ..
Sorry, but he current ones have issues, too...

Pardini have reliability problems, caused by the magazines. Magazines are a bit narrow, and short, at the lips. This problem has persisted for several years. (Why don`t Pardini cure that?)

And the Morini CM 22, different versions? The RF alu is a bit light, the all steel is a bit heavy. Center of gravity well up front, if you like that. I may not..
Triggerfinger position relative to trigger a bit straining, IMO.

Reliability is top now, though. (In the past it wasn`t..)
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

you can check ruig blog for a small comparison of pardini, mg2 and ssp.
http://toz35.blogspot.gr/2010/09/tested ... stols.html
also you will find some info about pardini its electronics the conversion to a mechanical one etc...

i have shot a pardini's friend but not enough and not in a match so i cant really compare them... my only advice is if you cant attend a world cup (to get service directly) don't buy the electronic versions.