Any experience with LP10E grip??

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
therider

Any experience with LP10E grip??

Post by therider »

Hello everybody, I need help. I went to pick up my new LP10e, but unfortunately ( or fortunately) was not there yet. So I tried again lp10 and lp10e. I have decided to go to Rink and get a custom grip because the original is very very thick.
I am still not convinced that the grip can be slimmed down. I have called Steyr and also Rink and expressed my concerns about the thickness of the grip , particularly towards the heel of the hand. Both said "...it can be filed slimmer, but...."! I am afraid to waste so much money and remain with the tension in my hand.
Has anybody here tried the lp10e or modified the grip ? I am sure that I am not the only one with this problem.
If Steyr decided not to modify an existing grip shape for the E version and make a new shape, I fear that they really needed that thickness to fit the bulky electronics box.... And therefore I cannot file it slimmer.
I have measured the thickness of the grip towards the heel of the hand and it is 7mm thicker than the lp10 grip.
Please help! Thanks
dronning

Post by dronning »

When you did your comparison were they the same size grips?

I measured my LP10 and LP10E grips (both are medium) at the point where your little finger goes which is the thinnest point to the electronic box. They are essentially the same 1.255" and 1.275" a 0.02" difference or 0.5MM. The other dimensions are very close to each other as well.
These grips are initially machined but the final finishing is done by hand so no 2 are exactly the same.

The electronic box is not as big as you think, they make an extra small grip for the LP10E so you would have to take off quite a bit of material on a medium grip before you had a problem.

Modifications: A large grip actually fits me better but there would be a couple of places I'd have to file. I went with medium grips and built them up where I needed it. I have large thick hands but short fingers and this worked better for me. I had a chance to try both large and medium grips before I bought my first Steyr.

Good luck with your purchase. Equipment won't get you points but equipment that fits will!
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
therider

Post by therider »

Dronning, thanks for you detailed reply.
Yes the grips I compared where either of the same size, or even larger for the mechanical.

If I remember correctly the depth of the electronic room is 25 or 27mm, so 1 inch.
Therefore in the case of your grip you can machine less than 2/10".

You measured the thickness at the small finger. But does your grip have a grove there? Or is straight?

I tried a XL lp10e grip, and I think that in the thickest point was about 32mm as compared to 25mm of a lp10. So one could file the ball, but then it would become straight with no possibility to grove for the bottom of the hand.
dronning

Post by dronning »

This is a medium unmodified LP10E grip. My LP10 grip measures almost the same thickness at these 2 points - within .02". As you can see there is .60" at the palm rest available to remove BUT you would actually hit the bolt that holds the grip on before you cut into the electronics cut out.

There is plenty of room for adjustment. If you are looking at an XL grip there would be even more material you could remove.

With 1,000 of these on the market I have yet to run into anyone that has had the problem you are concerned about.

It would be interesting to see the dimensions of the extra small grip. I am sure there would be very little material left to remove on them.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
therider

Post by therider »

Dronning, thank you very much for your valuable help! You have given me a precise explaination, which i did not even get from Steyr!
They owe you a beer (and I owe you one too, if you ever come either to Munich or to Milan), as you have just sold a LP10e!

After seing your picture and the dimensions which you have taken, the only explanation I have is that that XL grip I have tried on the Lp10E is a one odd as I have never had such a bad feeling as with that one, even XXL fit my hand good.

Thanks again for your help! I was about to change the pistol to the mechanical one and I was unhappy for that, as I like the electronic trigger a lot.

Tomorrow either I take the pistol with wrong grip and I try to remove and then add material, or I will wait till Steyr reopens to get a pistol with the M size grip ( I will have to substantially modify that too, for my long fingers) . If I mess up the grip I will drive to Parma to get Cesare Morini help, and a great lunch!!!

Cheers
dddstudio

Post by dddstudio »

This is not marketed, but keep in mind that Steyr still offers grips from two different manufacturers. This is probably the cause why some people complain about grip differences between seemingly similar pistols. As far as I know as of now Steyr only offers Morini grips in M size. And they sell an Spanish (Iber?) type of grip in all sizes. The form is probably similar, but definitely with some minor differences. Morini grips have a CM sign, the Iber grips have no marking at all.
therider

Post by therider »

thanks dddstudio.
The grip of the LP10E was not Morini. However the problem I have described was not related to the producer. Grips from both Morini and the other company did not give me any trouble with the mechanical pistol.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

The 'M' sized Iber grip for the LP10E has a totally different feel and fit when compared to the 'M' sized grip on the LP10.
I was under the impression that all of the LP10E grips were from Iber and that the LP10 grips were from Morini, but that may have changed recently.
dddstudio

Post by dddstudio »

I have recently purchased a new LP10 mechanical, so what I have written is based on the available grips for the LP10. I do not know about LP10E, it is possible that they are offered only with Iber grips.