Target approach problem in prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Paul

Target approach problem in prone

Post by Paul »

I know that the bullseye in prone has to be approached from 6'oclock. My scores are very good (585-590) but I know that I have a problem with my approach. When I exhale, my front sight enters the target from 7 o'clock to 1 o'clock direction. Do you have any idea about what causes that ?
rachel

Post by rachel »

Are there any reasons why would it be a problem? My target approach is exactly what you're describing and I've never seen it as a problem (my average is in the mid 590's). So long as it's always going 7-1 consistently every single time then I can't see an issue :)

You could check it with a SCATT or Noptel trace of a 60 shot match to make sure that the approach when you're breathing out is always exactly the same.
DavePat

Re: Target approach problem in prone

Post by DavePat »

Paul wrote:I know that the bullseye in prone has to be approached from 6'oclock.
Why does the bull in prone have to be approached from the bottom ? Why not from 12 o'clock ?
Tim S

Re: Target approach problem in prone

Post by Tim S »

DavePat wrote: Why does the bull in prone have to be approached from the bottom ? Why not from 12 o'clock ?
Because in prone the majority of shooters fire after breathing out (either fully or partially). As you exhale your chest deflates so your shoulders becomes lower, and the muzzle moves up. The only way to come onto the target from 12 o'clock in prone (without pushing the rifle) is by firing on the inhalation, which is not common; I don't think I've ever met any one who does this.

On topic, my approach is from 7 o'clock too. I don't think this is a problem, so long as it's consistent. A sideways approach would be wierd, but 7 o'clock seems common.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

If you are a right handed shooter, it is quite normal for the approach to be 7-1. This is a byproduct of not having all of your chest in direct contact with the shooting mat. The effect can seen quite clearly as you breathe when using a scope sight.
Those who shoot with a very low and flat position will probably be able to achieve an approach from the 6'oclock direction.
As long as whatever you do is consistent and the end result is a POI and an NPA right in the middle without any muscling of the shot, then do not try to correct it just for the sake of it.
DLS

Post by DLS »

Hi Paul,

I'll add to the chorus; there is no reason that you "have to" approach from 6:00 o'clock. Approach from whatever direction is natural and repeatable for you.

By trying to force your approach (and thereby your position) toward some presubscribed "ideal" you will never completely achieve NPA and will drop points.

Don't fight your position, embrace it.

I hope this helps.

Lee
Mikey_P

Post by Mikey_P »

Add me to the list of shooters with a 7 o'clock approach. Feels natural and never seen it as being a problem..