Scope Size for BE Box?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

shakennotstirred

Scope Size for BE Box?

Post by shakennotstirred »

TT,

I am getting ready to buy a Strong Case 3-Gun (SRC-1608) box and would like to get a decent scope to go into it (able to range out to 50m indoors and outdoors).

Right now, I've been looking at the Celestron Ultima 65, and want to make sure that this scope will fit into the scope bay of the Strong Case.

Any input on this combo or other considerations that I am missing?

Thanks!

SNS
Rover

Post by Rover »

You really don't need that much scope to see 50 yards. Look at what the other competitors find satisfactory.
shakennotstirred

Rover wrote:You really don't need that much scope to see 50 yards. Look at what the other competitors find satisfactory.
Rover,

Thanks for the assessment ... I did not realize that a sub-$200 scope was overkill!

As for observing others ... I'm currently shooting Sportpistole with my German club in Bavaria ... no one uses a shooting box and all of the scopes are ones available in Europe.

TTFN
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

shakennotstirred wrote:
Rover wrote:You really don't need that much scope to see 50 yards. Look at what the other competitors find satisfactory.
Rover,

Thanks for the assessment ... I did not realize that a sub-$200 scope was overkill!

As for observing others ... I'm currently shooting Sportpistole with my German club in Bavaria ... no one uses a shooting box and all of the scopes are ones available in Europe.

TTFN
Most shooting boxes will handle a standard scope. Just don't get one of those oversized scopes designed for Palma. And make sure you get a Hebard mount for it, unless your box comes with one installed.

glücklich Schießen
dronning

Post by dronning »

I had the scope you are looking at and switched to this one which I bought from Champions Choice at Camp Perry last year. At 12-36x 60mm it is less power but more than enough. It is physically much smaller and weighs much less and that is why I switched.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CHAMPIO ... -8703.aspx
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

Did the CC Scope mount ok in a Bullseye box (Gun-Ho, Strong Case, etc.) or did you just use it with a tripod on a table?

Can you guys list what scopes you use that fits one of the typical bullseye boxes. I'm planning to buy a Gil Hebard scope mount for it.
dronning

Post by dronning »

45ACP223 wrote:Did the CC Scope mount ok in a Bullseye box (Gun-Ho, Strong Case, etc.) or did you just use it with a tripod on a table?

Can you guys list what scopes you use that fits one of the typical bullseye boxes. I'm planning to buy a Gil Hebard scope mount for it.
The CC scope is small and will fit great on your box with a GH mount.

see pic - the scope actually is smaller than it looks in this picture but you can tell you have lots of space.

Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
spektr

Post by spektr »

I picked up the 39 dollar spotting scope at wal mart. works great for 10 meter to 25 yards indoors for me. outside 50 to 100 yds is good also....
crankythunder

well.............

Post by crankythunder »

I can personally attest that you can fit a konus 15x45x65 spotter in a three gun Tnt pistol box but..........

You will scratch the outside surface every time you open and close it......

The mount itself will be overstressed and it will be loose in the box in short order.......

and the scope is so heavy that it will not be steady when the lid is open and your trying to look through it.....especially in the wind!

While I mounted it to see if it was an improvement on my old pistol scope when I got the konus, it was quickly determined that such a large spotting scope was not the best choice for the shooting box.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Cranky
DLS

Post by DLS »

spektr wrote:I picked up the 39 dollar spotting scope at wal mart. works great for 10 meter to 25 yards indoors for me. outside 50 to 100 yds is good also....
Which one please? Do you have a link?

Thanks
dam8

Post by dam8 »

There is a small scope in the buy,sell trade section. I have one and can attest to the quality and micro size here in the greater Boston area there are a lot of shooters using them on the line
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

At local events I notice several of us new guys have the Barska Blackhawk 18-36x50 scopes attached to our shiny new Strong Case boxes. There are probably better units available, but these are on the market now. I always unmount mine and wrap it in the towel I use on my shooting stand before storing it in the bottom of the box.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/barska-blac ... 10348.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/185778 ... ored-green

http://www.adorama.com/BA183650ABH.html
shakennotstirred

Sa-tevo wrote:At local events I notice several of us new guys have the Barska Blackhawk 18-36x50 scopes attached to our shiny new Strong Case boxes. There are probably better units available, but these are on the market now. I always unmount mine and wrap it in the towel I use on my shooting stand before storing it in the bottom of the box.
Thanks! I just ordered one from B&H Photo for $79.90 shipped.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... tting.html

Understand that you unmount and wrap yours. Will the case shut properly with the scope still mounted?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

shakennotstirred wrote:
Sa-tevo wrote:At local events I notice several of us new guys have the Barska Blackhawk 18-36x50 scopes attached to our shiny new Strong Case boxes. There are probably better units available, but these are on the market now. I always unmount mine and wrap it in the towel I use on my shooting stand before storing it in the bottom of the box.
Thanks! I just ordered one from B&H Photo for $79.90 shipped.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... tting.html

Understand that you unmount and wrap yours. Will the case shut properly with the scope still mounted?
It depends on what kind of box you have. Most pistol boxes have a Hebard mount on the inside of the lid and a slot in the bottom of the box that a reasonable sized scope will slide into.

Make sure the scope is tight and straight on the mount, because some gun boxes have lips, and a loosely mounted scope can get caught on that lip and jam your box shut.
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

shakennotstirred wrote: Understand that you unmount and wrap yours. Will the case shut properly with the scope still mounted?
I couldn't get mine to close mounted on my regular size three pistol Strong Case. The body of the scope would drag during the arc of lid travel if the mounting arm was locked, and if the mounting arm was not locked I didn't want to have it flop around and lock the lid like Isobel1130 mentioned. Having it unmounted also gave me more options with what I stuff in the bottom of the box. (Tool kit, pistol parts, scoring clipboard, plastic bags in case of rain)

I also bring a separate toolbag for stapler, ammo, glasses and ear protection and other shooter stuff since the box I use is on the small size but won't pull my arm out of its socket. It's the classic mechanic's conundrum: a toolbox you can carry, or a massive taco stand that will barely roll.
m1963

Scope

Post by m1963 »

I had a Celestron scope that did not meet my needs due to condensation. Ohio summers are VERY humid. If your conditions are similar be sure to select a scope that is extremely well sealed.
rodn

Post by rodn »

I have this and it fits very nicely!

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting ... m-compact/
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

Hello,

I was going to post a similar question as my Celestron scope took a dive on me. Here's a link to it but a lot of companies sell the same/similar one with different names including Champ Choice pictured above. Creedmoor used to sell it with their name on it. Match the pic & specs and you'll see it.
http://www.celestron.com/sports_outdoor ... scope.html

The eyepiece inner lens somehow popped out of the plastic retaining ring and is flopping around inside. The plastic retaining ring is really cheap. Can't imagine how the lens popped out as It isn't that old and I rarely need to adjust the focus or power. Celestron requires you to ship it to them at your cost and send them a check for $15 to send it back so it costs you $30 to get it repaired if they decide to do it.

I have a Strong Case 3 gun case. It includes the scope mount. The Celestron 12x36x60mm scope fits fine inside. It clears the shelf on the bottom if you put the scope in the correct position on the mount. I marked the mount with a marker so I can set it when collapsing it to close things up. What you need to look at with the scope is how high the eyepiece sticks out and how long overall it is. For my box, if the eyepiece stuck out any more, it may not clear the bottom shelf.

I'm looking to replace mine with the Champ Choice 12-50X50mm w/45 Degree
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... item=CC542

I'd like to hear if anyone is using this scope and how it fits in their pistol box.

Thanks