LP 10 cocking lever problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
northpaw

LP 10 cocking lever problem

Post by northpaw »

The cocking handle (lever) of my LP 10 moves (unlocks) some at discharge. A noticeabale short blow av air can be felt at the upper side of my index finger at discharge. The clockwice movement of the lever at discharge is usually only a couple of degrees of angle, but varies some from shot to shot. Occasionally the cocking handle will turn as much at 10 degrees, then allowing more air to escape from the breech, and the pellet then hits low at target, if at all! That is detrimental to my scores.....
I wonder if the problem could be adressed to the small lever (latch), which under tension of a small spiral spring, supports the cocking handle when breech is slosed? Apparently the geometry om this setup does not lock the cocking handle firmly enough when the breech is closed.

This spiral spring (black) is positioned correctly, I am sure about that.
And there are no loose screws.
I always firmly close the breech after inserting the pellet, btw.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Take a look at these:

http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/movies/index.html

You should find the repair solution in them.

Hope this helps
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I am thinking that the "adjusting the barrel" video is what you need.
Does it feel like the lever is camming over slightly when you fully close it?
dronning

Post by dronning »

brent375hh wrote:I am thinking that the "adjusting the barrel" video is what you need.
Does it feel like the lever is camming over slightly when you fully close it?
+1 I had to adjust this on a used LP10E I bought, it takes about 2 minutes. Also check for bad oring.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

brent375hh wrote:I am thinking that the "adjusting the barrel" video is what you need.?
The instructions in that video cured the problem! Thanks.
brent375hh wrote: Does it feel like the lever is camming over slightly when you fully close it?
"Camming over sligthly" it was, yes.

I bought this gun brand new from the gunshop, and it has apparently been severely out of "barrel adjustment" from day one. Which tells us it left the factory out of adjustment....
The velocity spread, prior to "barrel adjustment", was for a 5-shot string string typically 25 - 30 f /s.
Fired from a solid wise-rest my gun never procused groops anywhere near the impressive "one ragged hole" groop of the factory-fired test target for this gun. No matter whch brand/diameter match grade pellets I used.

After "barrel adjustment" the velocity variation for a 5-shot string is now in the 5 - 6 f/s range.

How could a brand new gun so severely out of "barrel adjustment" produce such an impressive test-target?
Are the test-targets produced by some wellperforming selected guns only?
I don`t know, I`m just wondering....
rmca

Post by rmca »

Not trying to defend steyr, but that dislodging of the barrel is more likely to have happened during shipping than leaving the factory like that.

From what I know they are tested at the factory with different types of pellets until they give a group that passes the quality control (not necessarily the smallest the gun can achieve).

Try and retest it now that the barrel is fixed. Remember that the vice can't have ANY sort of movement. Nor should the bench. And be VERY careful when cocking the pistol so that it doesn't get out of place.

Hope this helps