Center Fire pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
RJP

S&W revolvers

Post by RJP »

I own several Smith and Wesson revolvers, and for International Center Fire, they are just fine except that the hammer is big and heavy and the main spring is not too strong. This results in a long lock time.

Follow through is critical. You must hold the revolver on target until the bullet leaves the barrel. This is nothing new.

A fast lock time is more forgiving. S&W revolvers are not forgiving.
schauckis

Post by schauckis »

Personal prefence!!!!

I have used an S&W .32 in the full lug configuration.
For me, the gun is far too heavy. Additionally, it has quite a short sight radius and the balance point of the gun is very high.
I improved upon the sights by fitting a shorter front sight, thus gaining a bit longer sight radius, and switching from the Morini grip to the Nill grip: the gun sits a lot lower in the hand.

That said, a couple of years back I was able to get my hands on a Toz revolver in .32 S&W Long WC which I immeaditelly bought.
It's incredibly light and well-balanced: always after the shot the gun is immediatelly in line again - if it was semi-auto, I'd be able to fire doubles all day!
I haven't socred too well thus far as the gun seems to be a bit picky with the ammo. I found a good batch last summer which I immeadiatelly ear-marked as match ammo for myself (a very old batch of Lapua ammo, indicentally).
Thay claim that the short Nagant .32 was loaded very fast due to the twist rate of the revolver but I don't know if that's true nor whether it's valid for the .32 WC as well.

Again, that said, I've scored my best target series of 281 pts with the old Sako TriAce.
I was a loaner and when it broke down I gave it up. It's hard to find spares even in the domestic Finland, I tell you!!
The Sako's other problem is the high weight which I dislike so during the rapid fire event I never managed to score too well (despite many others having shot splendid results, indeed).

For fast shooting the Sako is THE King. No gun is better handling during miltary rapid fire - try shooting five shots in 6 seconds with any .32 and you get the point. In this discipline, I've fairly consequently been able to score 563 with the Sako. I don't score much better with my .22. The Finnish record is 597 - scored with a Sako pistol. (Incidentally, I score a tad better with the old Sako .22/.32 than with the TriAce).
My friend is left-handed, yet he scored 554 pts in center fire pistol with a right-hand Sako.
The only one that comes close is the Unique - a sweetly balanced gun, indeed! But also hard to find spares for it.

The Finnish record of 594 in center fire pistol was scored with the old Walther GSP, i.e. not the new one with the recoil reducer.
To my mind the GSP is the outcome of a madman's poor joke way back in time; but looking at the results others have scored with it, I cannot fault it. It's also exceptionally reliable.

The tops today seem to prefer the Pardini.
Few top shots seem to prefer the revolver anymore, but a couple of my friends shoot very competitively with the .32 Manurhin, the old light-barreled .32 S&W and one even with an S&W .357 in which he fires .38 WC ammo. I used the same for the military service pistol event scoring quite well, indeed.

In summary - go figure...
Try some and choose the one that suits you best!

- Lars/Finland
schauckis

Re: S&W revolvers

Post by schauckis »

RJP wrote:Follow through is critical. You must hold the revolver on target until the bullet leaves the barrel. This is nothing new.
SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!
You wouldn't believe how much the scores of my rapid fire shooting improved when I started to focus on follow-through.

Good advice again as is usual on this forum!

- Lars/Finland
Dev

How much do you shoot?

Post by Dev »

As i have said before I am very new to this sport. Watching some of the state team guys practice has got me scared. They seem to shoot all day with .22 pistols. Course most are participating in sport or standard pistol.
They are practicing for the Nationals but it may as well be for the Olympics the way they train.

How many shots do centre fire shooters shoot live, every day? I do about 45 minutes of dry fire at home, the range is very time consuming but I do enjoy it when I get there. Have been shooting a .22 pistol for centre fire practice due to ammo costs of 32 rounds.

Regards,

Dev
cpt.gabriel

Post by cpt.gabriel »

Thank you all for your reply!
Being a beginner I 'll put more efforts on training focusing more on my improvement than upgrading or changing the gun.
SW don't look very heavy to me but I think I'll have to find an ISSF grip instead of factory one I have.
I saw and fired Toz in .32 ,a really marvelous revolver, but I don't see one of them for selling. Also ammo it's a common problem here for them.
Usually practice ammo for me is Sellier & B. WC .38spl.
Best regards.