Cocking efffort: Walther LGR vs. FWB 60X

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

AZ_Shooter

Cocking efffort: Walther LGR vs. FWB 60X

Post by AZ_Shooter »

All,

I am looking to get another 10m SSP, and I want to make sure I don't run into the same grievances I had with my Walther LGR. Principally, I didn't like the LGR because I felt the cocking was too difficult and required me to break form far too much. How does that coking effort of the LGR compare to the FWB 60x series of guns? I do know that they compress the air on the downward (toward the buttstock) stroke, how much of a difference does that make.

Thank you!

Jesse
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

Even if both rifles (FWB 600/601/02/03 seen as one) need approx. the same push/power for compressing the air (we tested that against a scale many years ago), the difference is the direction of the lever action. Most shooters preferred the FWB-system (or Anschütz 2001/2) because the push goes against the body, while with the LGR you have to push against the left hand and therefore hold against it with muscle power.

If that really matters, one has to decide for himself.

Another difference (in many opinions at least) was the barrel length: while the LGR had a full length barrel of 500 mm, the FWB's have a shorter barrel (425 mm) and theoretically a quicker release time. But if you calculate the length difference with a comparable muzzle velocity of 175 m/s you will find out, that the "longer time" in the barrel is within the human reaction time. But psychologically a higher muzzle velocity makes a difference...
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I shot both styles and liked the LGR a lot. I found that the shoulder muscles that pulled the lever back on the FWB were some of the same muscles used in shooting the position. The chest muscles used in cocking the LGR are not used in shooting the position so I didnt get as tired.

But, when we went to the 60 shot course of fire and FWB came out with the C60 I was on it like a duck on a June bug.
AZ_Shooter

Post by AZ_Shooter »

Good to know. Thank you, both of you!
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Ulrich might know this, later models of the LGR had a modified cocking lever linkage to try and make it easier to cock. It was still hard but you got used to it.

For those who may remember the late great Malcolm Cooper, he was the British Walther importer and used a LGR for years winning many medals in international matches and Commonwealth games.
When the first FWB 600 came out Malcolm tried it for a while but went back to his LGR. The Walther LGR reined supreme for almost a decade winning golds for many shooters. My particular favourite was the LGR Universal.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

The first olympic champion with air rifle at the premiere in LA 1984 was Philippe Heberle from France - with a Walther LGR ... :)