Repair of IZH-46M That Leaked When Breech is Closed

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Repair of IZH-46M That Leaked When Breech is Closed

Post by Gwhite »

I think someone else here had this problem, but managed to solve it with a good cleaning & oiling. The one I was working on was less accommodating, but I found a relatively easy fix. I wrote up the repair for those who might run into the same issue. It appears that Baikal may have made a design change to avoid this problem in newer pistols. If you can get a new style valve pin, replacing the old one seems to take care of it.
Attachments
IZH-46M Leak-on-Closing Repair.pdf
(69.84 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
MGBOB

Post by MGBOB »

I believe I was the fellow that had the problem. Even after a thorough cleaning of the parts it resurfaced a few hundred shots later.

I'd clean it again and it would be ok for awhile.

This sounds like a much better "fix". I have obtained the new valve and installed it. I'll let you know what happens but so far it looks good.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I think we have another one with this issue in the repair pile, so I'm looking forward to try the same fix on it.

Do keep us posted on how well yours behaves. We use the IZH's as "starter" pistols for new shooters. Once they shoot a 500 or better in a match, we upgrade them to PCP guns. As a result, the one I just repaired may not get a good workout until next fall, when we get a fresh crop of newbies.
gfrad

new valve and installed

Post by gfrad »

were can we buy these valves
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

That's tricky. EAA used to have a nice web based parts ordering system, which is where I got ours. Sometime last spring, they stopped taking orders very abruptly. The place they referred me to said they didn't have any IZH parts. The whole thing was very weird.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Our host used to sell IZH if I remember correctly, perhaps they still have some parts. If they don't they probably know who does.

Pyramyd Air Guns sells IZH, maybe they are worth a try.
gfrad

10w40 spray

Post by gfrad »

I used 10w40 spray on valve soaked it and dried it real good ,since than I have had no leaks while clossing cock lever
mparker

Post by mparker »

Mine leaked like described right from the box. I bought it while recovering from a triple bypass so it sat in the box for months. Still, Pyramid techs gave me a few things to look at (voice and email) which didn't help. They then took it back without question and returned it in about 2 weeks working perfectly. The $0 invoice does not detail exactly what the repair was but I'd guess it was that pin.

Pyramid is aces in my book.

BTW - the trigger upgrade is highly recommended. So glad I got it!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

One of the two pistols I tried this on started failing again after a bit, and I'm pretty sure in the inner firing seal is worn out. I had a chat with Gene Salvino at Pyramid about how to go about replacing that, and once I've been through it & taken pictures, I'll post a detailed procedure. He's designed a tool that allows you to do it from the rear of the pistol so you don't have to mess with unscrewing the main cylinder.

As for parts, I'm working with a fellow in my club who is from Czechoslovakia. He has a gunsmithing acquaintance back home who thinks he can get parts, but it may take a while.