Taper crimp specs for 38

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

38HBWC

Taper crimp specs for 38

Post by 38HBWC »

I have misplaced my spec sheet from Gil Hebard for taper crimp dimensions 38 Special full wadcutter for the M-52.

Could one of you bullseye reloading masters reply with the measurement?

So much appreciated, as I fear I am over swaging my bullet after it is in the case. The HBWC design may compensate for that, but my "plinking fodder" (LEE TL 148s) are DE style with NO skirt.

I read the Giles article attached to the 45 TC topic and my gears between the ears got me a-thunkin'.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I don't know what the Gil Hebard spec is, but I've been shooting DEWC and before that HBWC with almost no crimp in my M-52. The crimp die just straightens out the flare from the expanding die. All of my cases are trimmed to minimum plus .002/004 for consistency. I use 2.7 gr BE with 148 gr bullets and have not had any back out or shift in the case.

Roger
38HBWC

TC crimp

Post by 38HBWC »

Thanks for the response. I bought my first ?Bonanza? taper crimp die from Gil Hebard (Knoxville, IL), back in the early 70's. He sent the measurements along with the die. I have been doing the "drop in" test with just the barrel for right now, I have had a few FTFs when the crimp is off, I dont know if that is a magazine lip problem or ammo problem. 2.7 gr. BE is popular load, but I am losing a boatload of brass way down the gallery, so I am thinking 2.5gr and get the Wolff Calibration Spring Pak for the 52. I want those MTs dropping next to my Rt) foot. I have three M-52s and 20+ mags, and as your handloaders know, The 52 can be testy for which to reload.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Just remember - the .38 special headspaces off the rim. The crimp won't affect that no matter what so I'm not sure what the drop test will tell you. If you have had FTF's, it wasn't the crimp.

As far as consistent ejection, if you master that let me know. I use a net brass catcher on a stand and that gets most of them. About half the time the last round either hops up onto my arm or just dribbles out. In fact, that happens with my other autos, too. I don't know why no one can seem to make a follower that puts the same drag on the slide as a cartridge.

Three M-52's? That's just greedy. I mean, you only have two hands, right?

Roger
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

I use Remington cases cause they are the thinnest.
1.130" trim length
2.8gr BE with a magnum primer
148gr Rem HBWC
.370" crimp with just a hint of lead sticking above the case mouth for feeding.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

Rem case trimmed .010 shorter than recommended minimum
Rem SP primer
2.7 BE
148 gr. Rem HBWC seated flush
Run through LEE FCD with the crimp backed off. I do this just to remove the flare. NO CRIMP, I have found this the most accurate in my 52

I run these through a M-52-2 with a slide mount and 30mm RD w/stock recoil and main spring and never had a FTF or FTE and yes they are new Wolff springs in the factory weights.

Kirmdog

BTW I have never seen a 52 that didn't throw brass half way across the range. They may exist but I never saw one.
spence

Post by spence »

For what it's worth:

I have only been reloading for my 52 for a 6 months but I was able to go from unreliable to totally reliable feed based on OAL. I have 9 mags including 4 that I have modified to hold 6 rounds.

For all my mags, an overall length of 1.170 or less allows flawless feed. Let that OAL creep up to 1.175 and things get iffy. 1.180 and they bind in the mag.

I have a couple of cases of Remington 148gr Targetmaster WC. These measure about 1.173. Just on the ragged edge in my pistol. I have had some feed issues with that ammo. I'm using it in my revolver.

2.8 of bullseye with the right wolf spring and the brass does fall at my feet. The 6 round modification to the mag is easy and if done right, works as well as 5 rounds. There is a topic on the S&W forum that has pictures showing how to it correctly. I sometimes shoot in a league where 6 shots per mag are required (goofy, but what can you do?).

Spence
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Spence wrote: I sometimes shoot in a league where 6 shots per mag are required (goofy, but what can you do?).
Get one of these?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =378256403

Roger
1911nut

Post by 1911nut »

I took Jerry Keefer's advice and loaded 2.8g WST, Remington HBWC with a .372" taper crimp with just a tad of lead protruding for the taper crimp to "nestle into and grasp".

I prefer Remington cases.

These shot very well in my 52.
spence

Post by spence »

RandomShotz wrote:
Spence wrote: I sometimes shoot in a league where 6 shots per mag are required (goofy, but what can you do?).
Get one of these?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =378256403

Roger
Yes, I have a 14-3 and yes revolvers are why they use 6-shot strings. For some reason they also like to have some targets where you have a whole 12 secs to get off 12 rounds (two mags). There are some revolver shooters who can do it, not me I shoot the 52. It's the only game in town except run and shoot. No bullseye at all here anymore.

Spence
JimPGov

Post by JimPGov »

GUYS I'VE DONE EXTENSIVE 50 YDS ACCURACY TESTING WITH THE .38 HBWC. I HAVE SETTLED ON THE REDDING PROFILE CRIMP DIE. IT'S A COMBO OF TAPER AND ROLL.
2.7 WST , ANY PRIMER, REMINGTON BULLETS GROUP THE BEST. EVEN BETTER THAN THE STAR SPECIAL MATCH. ZERO ARE A CLOSE SECOND.
I SEAT THE BULLET FLUSH WITH THE CASE ,NO EXPOSED LEAD. REVOLVER OR AUTO I FOUND IT TO BE THE BEST COMBO. JIM P
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

JimPGov wrote:GUYS I'VE DONE EXTENSIVE 50 YDS ACCURACY TESTING WITH THE .38 HBWC. I HAVE SETTLED ON THE REDDING PROFILE CRIMP DIE. IT'S A COMBO OF TAPER AND ROLL.
2.7 WST , ANY PRIMER, REMINGTON BULLETS GROUP THE BEST. EVEN BETTER THAN THE STAR SPECIAL MATCH. ZERO ARE A CLOSE SECOND.
I SEAT THE BULLET FLUSH WITH THE CASE ,NO EXPOSED LEAD. REVOLVER OR AUTO I FOUND IT TO BE THE BEST COMBO. JIM P
Jim,
Can you provide some details on this topic? What kind of groups have you been getting with this setup and loads? Which pistol did you use, ie, Model 14, or Model 52, or a 1911-38. I'm sure many of us would also appreciate some pictures of your groups too.
Thanks,
-s
JimPGov

Post by JimPGov »

ABOVE IS A 50 YARD 24 SHOT GROUP ON AN AIR PISTOL TARGET
ABOVE IS A 24 SHOT 50 YD GROUP WITH STRONG GUSTING LEFT TO RIGHT WIND
BOTH ARE PPC REVOLVERS BUILT BY BOB JONES OF JACKSON MS.
I CAN'T FIND MY 52-2 PHOTOS. THE 52-2 WOULD VERTICALLY STRING THE GROUP A BIT.

THIS IS MY ROCK RIVER BUILT PPC AUTO 50YD GROUPS LEFTY IS 10SHOT RIGHT IS 24 SHOT.
I WAS ONCE ASKED WHY 24 SHOT GROUPS. BECAUSE IN PPC EVERY 50YD STAGE IS 24 SHOTS IT ONLY MADE SENSE. JP
jackh

Post by jackh »

WST and 148 HBWC seems pretty well accepted. How about WST and 158 LRN & LSWC for DR. Any info here?
JimPGov

Post by JimPGov »

3.1-3.3 WST WITH THE ZERO 158GR SWC IS THE WAY TO GO. 50YD IT WILL BE ALL OVER THE X-RING , BUT X'S NEVER THE LESS. THERE HAVE BEEN POSTS THAT GUYS COULDN'T LOAD 158 ACCURATE ENOUGH FOR DISTINGUISHED. THIS LOAD WILL WILL DO IT. OR BUY MICHIGAN AMMO FROM MIKE PATRICK IN ENCORSE MICHIGAN. JP