Kneeling geometry

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Johan_85

Kneeling geometry

Post by Johan_85 »

I align myself in the following way when I shoot kneeling. Middle of left foot on the target line and I position the kneeling roll so that my right shoulder is on the target line also, this makes the rifle to be on the target line.

When I do this my kneeling roll is 10-15cm to the left of the target line.

If I read in Ways of the rifle they want the left foot, kneeling roll and rifle to be on the target rifle. How is this even possible? I can't have the right shoulder above the kneeling roll without sitting in a very weird way.

The problem that I get is that my grip touches the jacket on the left elbow.

The position looks something like this, the only change is that my left elbow is directly on the knee not in front like it is in the picture.
Attachments
Knä1.jpg
Knä2.jpg
Knä2.jpg (53.09 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Knä3.jpg
Knä3.jpg (49.7 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
RobinC

Kneeling

Post by RobinC »

Its easier to find the Holy Grail than a good kneeling position!
I think I can see an issue with your position in that it is clearly weight and rifle line biased to the right so you will be likely to fall into that line. You are clearly tall and need to find a comprimise position, your rifle line is not over the line of the left leg, look at the picture of Maik on the front of the Ways of the rifle and you will see the diference in your ballance, that is more of what you should be trying for. Page's 157 and 158 of Ways of the Rifle should help
If it was easy any one could do it!
Best of luck
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

Yes on these pictures I have the rifle not in line with my left leg. I have it in line now but I haven't any new pictures.

The position that I have works good I think it's just that I need more training in it to get it more consistent. I even managed my first 100 in kneeling a week ago, ending at 389 at 40 shots.

The problem is that I don't understand how I should have my rifle in line with my left leg and at the same time have my left elbow to the left of the rifle. For me this is totally impossible as I can see it. I wouldn't bother if it wasn't for my grip on the rifle touching my jacket on the left elbow and thus making it against the rules.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

The kneeling roll is certainly the ideal place to have the rifle supported over, but I wouldn't personally be keen to compromise a good, comfortable, stable position for the sake of that either. My current kneeling position allows a really good hold, with my head over the kneeling roll and a good line through the front foot, but with the rifle over the edge of the kneeling roll, viewed from behind.
RobinC

Kneeling

Post by RobinC »

Johan
If it works, and its not agony, and by the scores it does, stick whilst in front.
SailAwayAK

Post by SailAwayAK »

taking a few photos out of gear might help. I wonder if you are placing to much weight forward. My daughter is tall like you and it took a bit to get the position to a point where her elbow was behind the knee. but after we had the weight back she does well.
gwsb

Kneeling

Post by gwsb »

Robin is right about the Holy Grail. But when you find a great kneeling position you would rather have that than the Grail.

Kneeling is a very technical position requiring lots of work to perfect but when you do it is a thing of beauty. Nothing more exciting than shooting your first 100 in kneeling.

Your position looks good to me but two options:

1. You must turn your left foot so it is parallel to your right thigh. This will tighten the calf muscles and reduce the horizontal wobble.

2. Your age isn't clear from the pictures but another option is forget kneeling and take down one of those wine bottles on the wall. Years of kneeling will only lead to knee surgery. It did for me.
Johan_85

Re: Kneeling

Post by Johan_85 »

gwsb wrote:Robin is right about the Holy Grail. But when you find a great kneeling position you would rather have that than the Grail.

Kneeling is a very technical position requiring lots of work to perfect but when you do it is a thing of beauty. Nothing more exciting than shooting your first 100 in kneeling.

Your position looks good to me but two options:

1. You must turn your left foot so it is parallel to your right thigh. This will tighten the calf muscles and reduce the horizontal wobble.

2. Your age isn't clear from the pictures but another option is forget kneeling and take down one of those wine bottles on the wall. Years of kneeling will only lead to knee surgery. It did for me.
I'm 28 years so I'm planning to do many years of kneeling before quiting. Or maybe I could put it like this, I have no plan on quiting for now and so long it doesn't feel as it hurts my body then I think it's fine. I don't find kneeling especially painfull the only thing that happens is that my right foot falls asleep after maybe 30 minutes and if I sit in kneeling much I get a little sore where the heel of my boot contacts the body.

I'm thinking of removing my sight raising blocks and test and see if my rifle comes up a bit so it doesn't contact the jacket on my left elbow.