10 mm on 1911 frame brass porblem

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

cliffw

10 mm on 1911 frame brass porblem

Post by cliffw »

One oof the members of our club is shooting a 10 mm on a 1911 frame

He has just started reloading and is using Starline brass

When he inspects the fired cases he finds that they have a small circular indentation about half way up from fhe base of the cartridge and about a third of the way around the case.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this to happen or have
a similar experience.

Appreciate any info or comments.

Thank You
dronning

Post by dronning »

Could you post a picture?
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Who built the gun? My understanding is that if you put a different caliber barrel on a 1911 frame, the angle of the feed ramp needs to be changed. If this isnt done just right, you will have feeding/functioning problems. Dinged up brass is the least of your worries.
Another possible issue is some part of the chamber may not be supporting the case correctly.

Pictures would be nice.... Some very good gunsmiths on this board could probably tell you exactly what is going on.
bluecrop

10mm 1911

Post by bluecrop »

A while back, Colt made a pistol called the Delta Elite. It was a 10mm built on a 1911 frame.
Since the 10mm is a much higher pressure cartridge, the recoil system was redesigned, incorporating a 2 spring recoil system.
This system really kicked out the brass!
My guess is that the brass is hitting the slide on the way out. Kinda hard to pinpoint exactly. Once you do, you may be able to relief cut at that point.
If you plan to reload, remember that the case will always be weaker at this dimple point. Pay attention to the case and it will tell you when to load or discard.
Brass is a lot cheap than a new hand.
Get them in the x-ring.
Perfect practice makes perfect.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Without a picture of the brass I'm just speculating but watch this video, it's not a 1911 but at about 50 seconds it shows the slide hitting the case on the way out. The case starts out in a counterclockwise rotation and hits the slide and actually begins rotating clockwise. (I think the text in the vid has this reversed)

What spring weight? and I'll ask this question again too, who built the gun? If the ejection port is a standard port and not lowered and flared you will have problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... i_jXDdzooo
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
shakennotstirred

Post by shakennotstirred »

I have a stock, old-production Colt Delta Elite and have never experienced any brass problems ... data point of one.