It's out now: "Olympic Pistol Shooting", 2013 edit

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ulrich Eichstädt

It's out now: "Olympic Pistol Shooting", 2013 edit

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

The first copies have been distributed at the World Cup Final in Munich, now MEC and publisher Heinz Reinkemeier announced the sale of their pistol book:

http://blog.mec-centra.de/new-olympic-pistol-shooting/

and here a lot more:
http://www.heinzreinkemeier.de/deutsch/ ... oting-new/
(and, I'm also in there, althought my personal info is a bit outdated now)

but... don't ask me how to order it from foreign countries... :) , obviously via
http://shop.mec-shot.com/en/book---pist ... 1/item/208
Attachments
411_pistol_shooting_s.jpg
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've been waiting for this for a long time. Their rifle book is fantastic. However, MEC's web site still only lists the German version.
:(
j-team

Post by j-team »

Gwhite wrote:I've been waiting for this for a long time. Their rifle book is fantastic. However, MEC's web site still only lists the German version.
:(
Umm... there's a link in the above post by Ulrich...

Tzed250

Post by Tzed250 »

This link states it is for the English version:

http://www.mec-shot.de/en/products/lter ... -shooting/
rmca

Post by rmca »

Is it worth it?
Can someone who has read it post some feedback. I'm genuinely interested, but the price plus shipping makes me ask first... :)

Thanks
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Tzed250 wrote:This link states it is for the English version:

http://www.mec-shot.de/en/products/lter ... -shooting/
Yes, but I couldn't find any ordering info except for the German version. Soon, presumably...
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

rmca wrote:Is it worth it?
Unless you are a complete beginner reading books about shooting will not improve your skills, only diligent training on and off range will. Shooting is not calculus or criminal law, it is a very simple activity. Mastering it is all about finding what works for you and practicing it. Having said that, there is one situation when a book would be valuable. That is if it could inspire you to think, search, and train harder and smarter.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Gwhite, please use the link that I and also j-team mentioned:

Before that perhaps change the language of the online-shop to english (Top right corner). No. 411 is really the english book, just look at the cover.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Ulrich Eichstädt wrote:Gwhite, please use the link that I and also j-team mentioned:

Before that perhaps change the language of the online-shop to english (Top right corner). No. 411 is really the english book, just look at the cover.
I followed that link and ordered my copy last night.

With regards the question 'is it worth it', well it may give some extra pointers but as mentioned, reading a book won't make you an expert shooter. I would suggest it's a long way short of getting a decent coach, but for a lot of people there simply isn't the accessibility to coaches.

Ro.
Ulrich Eichstädt

So, the main difference to other shooting books is, also according to your thesis, Rob (which is right of course), that Reinkemeiers books don't tell you "the one way how it has to be done" - but you see in many, many pictures and drawings, how the actual top shooters of the world do it. Their shooting styles differ a lot, but one can just take all the necessary info for your style.
rmca

Post by rmca »

RobStubbs wrote:With regards the question 'is it worth it', well it may give some extra pointers but as mentioned, reading a book won't make you an expert shooter. I would suggest it's a long way short of getting a decent coach, but for a lot of people there simply isn't the accessibility to coaches.
Ulrich Eichstädt wrote:So, the main difference to other shooting books is, also according to your thesis, Rob (which is right of course), that Reinkemeiers books don't tell you "the one way how it has to be done" - but you see in many, many pictures and drawings, how the actual top shooters of the world do it. Their shooting styles differ a lot, but one can just take all the necessary info for your style.
Sorry Ulrich Eichstädt, didn't mean to take over your post... I do appreciate the links for the book.

To specify the question on was it worth it, is the book written in a way that a 560 AP shooter can learn and improve from it?

Or is it just for beginners?

Those who had read it in german (because it was available previously), was it helpful for you? Even if it was just reading something you already knew?

Is it comparable to the "ways of the rifle" or "air rifle shooting"? (I´m not a rifle shooter but do have friends who are, and they speak wonders of these books)

Thanks for your answers
Ulrich Eichstädt

That was no contradiction. I think that anybody who has no own experienced Coach will Benefiz from from books like this one. But as Rob pointed out: Reading (and eben understanding) of the book doesn't automatically make you a better shooting. That needs shooting, analysing, changier Habits and shooting better.

And of course, I promise (though I don't paticipate from the book sellings..) that anybody with 560 in Air pistol will become a better shooter By Reading this book.

Sorry for too many Capital letters here, I was tired to teach my IPad that I wanted to Write in english instead of german.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

rmca wrote:To specify the question on was it worth it, is the book written in a way that a 560 AP shooter can learn and improve from it?

Or is it just for beginners?
To give my slant without reading the book (apart from seeing the German and part translated bits of it).

Can you learn and improve from it - I'd say abolutely yes

But will you improve from it - I'd say that's different for different people. If you read anything and learn new, and better, technical aspects then you should get better, but only if you apply them correctly and train effectively.

I personally don't expect to learn much from the book that will improve the shooting for me or those I coach, but I still think you can learn snippets and reading something written in a different way can clarify things that were perhaps a bit vague or unclear before.

Rob.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I've received my copy of the book and at first glance it seems mixed. There's clearly some very useful stuff in there but there appears to be a few odd bits which are perhaps less than helpful, and whilst I won't say 'wrong' there are certainly bits that go against conventional wisdom.

The other thing I didn't notice as much of was the 'why'. So it's great showing pictures of athletes shooting, all in different positions, but there didn't appear to be much as to why they are (or might be) adopting such a stance.

I need to have a full read of the book to properly evaluate it and make some notes which I hope to do over the next week or two.

Rob.
Ulrich Eichstädt

RobStubbs wrote:there are certainly bits that go against conventional wisdom.
That's sometimes the reason why some shooters are more successful than others... ;)
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Ulrich Eichstädt wrote:
RobStubbs wrote:there are certainly bits that go against conventional wisdom.
That's sometimes the reason why some shooters are more successful than others... ;)
Sure, and it's equally the reason some shooters are less successful than others. The key is making sound decisions based on a detailed understanding of the fundamentals of the position and technique.

Rob.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

We have 25 copies in stock, well about 19 with pre-orders......
please call or email the office, do not PM from this board.
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

18. I bought one since Ulrich is on the cover. And there are pictures of how to point the shooty thing at the target thing.

No place but up from here.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

I bought one since Ulrich is on the cover.
However the publishers were probably hoping that it would be the photo of Olena Kostevych that would grab people's attention! Interestingly, it's not the only front cover she has recently appeared on...
Attachments
kostevich.JPG
kostevich.JPG (19.97 KiB) Viewed 4530 times
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Got the book from Pilk. Worth every penny of $90.

So much more than just looking at the front sight.