Weighting 1914 Anschutz

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

PatrickS916

Weighting 1914 Anschutz

Post by PatrickS916 »

I have a 1907 barreled action in a Anschutz 1914 stock, and it feels somewhat front heavy and it feels awkward in offhand and in kneeling. I have seen different types of adding weights to stocks, specifically towards the rear, but only on aluminum stock rifles. Is there any way for me to add weight to the rear of the rifle without doing any permanent damage to the wood? Any help is appreciated
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Patrick ... I'm not picking on you here, but I'd like to maybe change your viewpoint.

Let's say you are at a National Match (JOs, Rocky, Nationals, NCAAs, etc) and it is determined that your pistol grip on your rifle is touching your jacket and nothing you can do to the jacket is changing that.

1) Would you change your position ... at a National match ...
--or--
2) Maybe go over to the gunroom/armorer/etc and grind that pistol grip so it's legal.

For my shooters, I'd grind on the stock ... it's a tool for you to make work with you and not (so much) for you to work around the tool.
It's a very hard concept to contemplate (especially if the gun is new).

Stick them down and if you have to remove them and mess up the finish, oh well, you can always spend SuperBowl Sunday putting a new one on the stock.....

(And me personally, I like the wood stocked guns and think the 1914 is a looker!)
ZD

Post by ZD »

Try getting some wheel weights (little square lead weights used to balance out the wheel on a car). They work great, and are easy to stick on (I use them on both my air and smallbore rifle). I would recommend trying to put them under your cheekpiece or just directly onto your stock below the cheekpiece.
PatrickS916

Post by PatrickS916 »

jhmartin wrote:Patrick ... I'm not picking on you here, but I'd like to maybe change your viewpoint.

Let's say you are at a National Match (JOs, Rocky, Nationals, NCAAs, etc) and it is determined that your pistol grip on your rifle is touching your jacket and nothing you can do to the jacket is changing that.

1) Would you change your position ... at a National match ...
--or--
2) Maybe go over to the gunroom/armorer/etc and grind that pistol grip so it's legal.

For my shooters, I'd grind on the stock ... it's a tool for you to make work with you and not (so much) for you to work around the tool.
It's a very hard concept to contemplate (especially if the gun is new).

Stick them down and if you have to remove them and mess up the finish, oh well, you can always spend SuperBowl Sunday putting a new one on the stock.....

(And me personally, I like the wood stocked guns and think the 1914 is a looker!)
I would probably do the same in that situation, but i would rather not have to do anything like that unless I have to, thank you though, because i never really looked at it like that.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I know it is painful, but if your rifle doesn't fit you, modify it. A dremel tool is your friend. As is putty. And in this case, wheel weights.
http://www.issf-sports.org/media/foto/2 ... TR3X20.jpg
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

And, Matt: you forgot to mention duct tape!

Do what you need to do to get the rifle to fit you, not the other way around. I didn't like my cheek piece, so I made a new one. It's ugly as sin, and now my stock looks like it went a few rounds with Sweeny Todd, but my scores have improved significantly. No one remembers the guy at the Olympics who's gun was still in mint condition.
Jack S

Post by Jack S »

Try these. They worked great in my 1907

http://www.10pt9.com/Rifle-Accessories/ ... -p426.html
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

2 oz fishing weights are cheap and add wt in a hurry
caveman

great pic

Post by caveman »

Matt,
You wouldn't happen to know how he keeps that weight in place when he stuffs the rifle in its case for travel?

But yes pristine rifles are good to look at but great score cards are prettier!
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

WesternGrizzly wrote:I know it is painful, but if your rifle doesn't fit you, modify it. A dremel tool is your friend. As is putty. And in this case, wheel weights.
http://www.issf-sports.org/media/foto/2 ... TR3X20.jpg
is that a chunk of brass?
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

Note the latest entry where I change the balance point of the Kimber to match an Annie 2013.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=41096
Bob