Oops in RF final at the ISSF Munich World Cup

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tjelvar

Oops in RF final at the ISSF Munich World Cup

Post by tjelvar »

As you may have seen Christian Reitz managed to put a round in the floor in the RF final. I think he stayed quite composed even if the string "only" yielded 2 hits.

How often has it happened to you? During competitions I sometimes get a bit too shy in taking up the pressure, something I need to work on getting rid off.

You can watch it on YouTube at http://youtu.be/54t1IsXMt84, the oops happens just after 26m40s.
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

I shot the divider once and the floor another time but the only time I did it in competition was in air rifle where it went off when closed the bolt. One of the girls on my team had a frame hit at Benning because she double loaded on accident. It happens ;)
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

bpscCheney wrote:...One of the girls on my team had a frame hit at Benning because she double loaded on accident. It happens ;)
Seems strange - I would expect 10mm or less deviation from the 'normal' path for a single pellet.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Yeah, it was funny because I do not think the announcers knew what happened at all. It would have been a shot for the ages if it would have skipped to the target for a hit...he almost had the correct angle.

Chip
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

Spencer wrote:
bpscCheney wrote:...One of the girls on my team had a frame hit at Benning because she double loaded on accident. It happens ;)
Seems strange - I would expect 10mm or less deviation from the 'normal' path for a single pellet.
First one hit around a 7 or so, the second hit the frame. The judges were not happy.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

bpscCheney wrote:
Spencer wrote:
First one hit around a 7 or so, the second hit the frame. The judges were not happy.
I don't know the Fort Benning range - was this on EST?
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

Yes
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

From my Pardini K10 shooting at about 450fps, which I found to give less muzzle flip than higher velocity, if I forgot I'd loaded and added a second pellet the result was about a 15mm spread between the two, to the lower-left of my point of aim, with the closer pellet hitting about 3cm low and 6mm left. With that pistol's plastic loading tray and rather deep-set pellet it's rather close to impossible to tell if it's loaded. The fellow selling it to me included an aluminum knitting needle which he described as 'essential' for such cases of forgetfulness. Just pop the needle in with the bolt pulled back and see if a pellet comes out on the tray. I never followed through on that. Only shot twin pellets a few times in practice, never in a match. But I'm grateful for the visible pellet skirt with the loaded K12 now. Impossible to make the same mistake so it's one less thing to worry about.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Attending our ISSF National Champs, I once elected to shoot Men's 25m Pistol using my AW93 rather than Centrefire which I normally would have done, being unable to attend the day set aside for CF. The problem was that my muscle-memory for this event was trained for my .32 FAS603 trigger NOT the trigger of my .22 AW93. In one of the final Rapid series, I took up too much slack on the trigger while in the "ready" position and put a shot straight into the dirt before the targets had turned. All I needed to do was hit the damn thing and I would have come 3rd. About an "8" or better and I would have come 2nd. As it was, I came 4th; lesson learnt!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

bpscCheney wrote:
Spencer wrote:
10m EST have considerable 'refresh' time; MUCH longer than the time between two pellets from one discharge.
It should have registered either the '7' or the frame hit; not both.
I would love to have seen the logprint.
Misny

Re: Oops in RF final at the ISSF Munich World Cup

Post by Misny »

tjelvar wrote:As you may have seen Christian Reitz managed to put a round in the floor in the RF final. I think he stayed quite composed even if the string "only" yielded 2 hits.

How often has it happened to you? During competitions I sometimes get a bit too shy in taking up the pressure, something I need to work on getting rid off.

You can watch it on YouTube at http://youtu.be/54t1IsXMt84, the oops happens just after 26m40s.
Match pressure manifests itself differently in different people at different times. Sometimes that little shot of adrenalin is all it takes to spoil things. On their good days the best shooters seem to make the match pressure work for them, rather than against them. Thanks for posting the link.